Author Topic: Corn approved as bait  (Read 1685 times)

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Corn approved as bait
« on: Oct 03, 2016, 05:30 PM »
Pardon me for butting in from North of the border...

Probably old news to you guys:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=41710570&nid=1288&title=using-corn-as-bait-year-round-fishing-at-utah-lake-tributaries-approved-for-2017

"Beginning Jan. 1, 2017, anglers will be able to use corn as bait at eight waters throughout Utah, according to the Division of Wildlife Resources. The DWR proposed the change and opened it to public feedback, and 3,210 people responded, 70 percent of whom favored the proposal. Before the change, Utah was the only state in the West that didn’t allow using corn as bait.

The proposal was approved by the Utah Wildlife Board at a meeting on Sept. 29 and the two-year pilot program will run until the end of 2018, when it will be re-evaluated. The eight Utah waters selected for the pilot program of using corn as bait are Cutler Reservoir, Deer Creek Reservoir, Electric Lake, Fish Lake, Flaming Gorge Reservoir, Lake Powell, Stateline Reservoir and Utah Lake. "

I hope this works out.  I really like tipping a piece of crawler with corn on my dead stick rigs for trout.  I'll be interested to know if you see it abused (folks chumming with corn).
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Re: Corn approved as bait
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2016, 07:45 PM »
I will guarantee there will be massive chumming.Our state allows corn for any fish,trout seem to be the big one for corn tossers,I don't think I've ever caught a stocked trout that wasn't stuffed with corn.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Yes I did see something about this well all I can say is what ever help you catch fish I don't see a problem with it at all, hey what ever helps me cach more fish i'm game. thanks for posting it up on here

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:33 AM »
As long as its not over used (chum) which i'm sure it will be, I don't see a problem with putting a kernel or 2 on your hook here and there. I have never used it but have heard some fast fishing with it on the lure
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2016, 02:03 PM »
Whether using real corn or not, thought I'd pass along a tip from last winter. My son I and started taking along a jar of the corn flavored salmon eggs we found at Dicks.  While not as effective as the grubs we use, we did notice that they were a great and productive alternative when other baits seem to be slow. We definitely caught plenty of trout with them, especially at Scofield and also up at East Canyon. We typically will tip at least one pole with them until we see what's the most effective that day. So...if you are struggling with the whole corn-no corn debate, these are a pretty effective option.  Tight lines everyone!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Wyo7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:42 PM »
fish can't digest corn can they?

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:54 AM »
I found this information on an Ozarks Fishing website.  I'm sure you could find more on the subject through Google.
Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.

During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline jimboha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:15 PM »
And for the non-8 waters in Utah, no corn/  Does that apply to corn-flavored bait as well?

Jimboha

Offline RichardE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:21 PM »
Corn flavored baits are fine. Recently discovered Berkleys Powerbait corn flavored trout dip, and the trout seem to love it. It is thicker and stays on the lures for a while.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:57 PM »
By the way, that trout dip turns into some kinda magic permanent glue in the boat carpet.    :P

Corn flavored baits are fine. Recently discovered Berkleys Powerbait corn flavored trout dip, and the trout seem to love it. It is thicker and stays on the lures for a while.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:31 PM »
frozen peas - it's really the sugar the fish like and the cellulose husk of a corn kernel is not a fish's friend - peas do not have the same "shell"

But don't put peas on my plate at dinner, you will remove the exact same amount when you clean it...you are warned.

You're welcome and I'm sorry I had to share this info.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.