Author Topic: Father Son Die on Ice, CO Poisoning - Please be careful  (Read 1252 times)

Offline The Don Mega

• IceShanty Rookie
Be careful on the ice.  This time of year danger increases as the ice melts and runoff rises the water levels.  While this doesn't relate to those conditions, it is a good reminder for everyone to be safe!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=28763708&nid=148&title=father-son-die-of-co-poisoning-while-camping

Condolences to the family

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Father Son Die on Ice, CO Poisoning - Please be careful
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:35 PM »
Was just reading this on the wyo R&C board, very sad. Using heaters not approved for indoor use can be very dangerous. At the bash we use heaters approved for indoor use but that doesn't mean they are totally safe. Carbon monoxide detectors are highly recommended and proper ventilation. Our doors are half way zipped on each side of the tent allowing good air flow thru the tent while maintaining enough heat to stay warm. Prayers and condolences to the family
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:23 PM »
i fell sorry for the family god bless them

Offline roasterx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Terrible tragedy, that poor family. Does anyone know what type of heater that they were using?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Doesn't say, but if i had to guess i would say the sunflower type. Buddy heaters will shut of when the oxygen gets to low. They have a thermocoupler similiar to a water heater. No pilot light- no fuel. Not saying it protects against carbonmonoxide but i have had times where the oxygen got to low and the heater wouldn't stay lit. Opened the doors a bit more/put the heater closer to the door and was fine
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:53 AM »
Here is a list of most of the warnings listed in the Buddy Heaters Owner’s Manual that most of us use for ice fishing.  This tragedy should be a reminder to ALL of us to heed these warnings at all times to insure we all have a safe adventure while pursuing our sport. Condolences and prayers to the family for their loss.

1.  Combustion by-products produced when using this product contain carbon monoxide, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects (or other reproductive harm).

2.  This heater can only be used in a recreational or commercial enclosure with a window or roof vent. It may also be used outdoors.

3.  This heater requires a vent area of 12 square inches (example 3” x 4” opening) minimum for adequate ventilation during operation. Do not use other fuel burning appliances inside.  When used without adequate combustion and ventilation air, this heater may give off excessive CARBON MONOXIDE, an odorless, poisonous gas.

4.  Asphyxiation Hazard
     • Do not use in unventilated areas.
     • The flow of combustion and ventilation air must not be obstructed.
     • Proper ventilation air must be provided to support the combustion air requirements of the heater being used.
     • Refer to the specification section of the heater’s manual, heater dataplate, or contact the factory to determine combustion air ventilation requirements of the heater.
     • Lack of proper ventilation air will lead to improper combustion.
     • Improper combustion can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning leading to serious injury or death.  Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, dizziness and difficulty in breathing.

5.  DO NOT OPERATE HEATER UNLESS CONTROL KNOB IS LOCKED IN A POSITION MARKED “HI”, “LO” or “PILOT”.  NEVER SET CONTROL KNOB BETWEEN LOCKED POSITIONS.  POOR COMBUSTION AND HIGHER LEVELS OF CARBON MONOXIDE MAY RESULT.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.