The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Burbot advice  (Read 770 times)

Offline Montexican

• IceShanty Rookie
Burbot advice
« on: Jan 10, 2024, 09:42 AM »
For whatever reason Burbot has been high on my list for the last couple seasons. But those damn dirty burbs have kicked my butt over 7 days and 5 nights of trying pretty hard. I finally caught one at the final hour of my last trip to canyon ferry last year. I have fished pre and during spawn (I think), in multiple depths, on rock piles (I think I just have sonar and maps), road beds, drop offs, basins and pretty anything else I can find. We run tip ups with dead bait and jig big gaudy spoons and tubes. I’ve only been to canyon ferry chasing them, fishing from Cf bay, the silos and the north end. I’ve seen pictures of people just killing it out there, not I however. Do any of y’all fish for them regularly? If so would you mind sharing some info on your approach? Should I be looking in different places?

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Burbot advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2024, 01:53 PM »
I do better for ling on Hauser, more particularly the causway arm. I use cutbait chunks about an inch square hanging under a spoon just off the bottom. About 2 feet or so above that is a set up similar to a crawler harness on a couple foot leader. I use floating and sinking beads and different color spinner blades when I use this set up. If I am in the current, you can see the crawler harness move around which is cool as I drop the tip ups. I get more on the crawlers than the cut bait. I tie these rigs up and store them wrapped around a short piece of pool noodle with the lure stuffed in the center. On a busy night I might loose 3 setups due to snags etc. so having a tub full of different colors etc. makes changing out tip ups easy. usually 10 to 25 feet deep as well
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2024, 05:06 PM »
MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING GLOW!!!! It really makes a difference to keep your jig glowed up. Glow+Rattle is even better. If you are still marking and not catching apply some lunker lotion to your jigs scent really helps. Lots of people like deep water, personally, for night fishing I like 5-15 ft flats close to deep water.
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2024, 06:13 PM »
MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING GLOW!!!! It really makes a difference to keep your jig glowed up. Glow+Rattle is even better. If you are still marking and not catching apply some lunker lotion to your jigs scent really helps. Lots of people like deep water, personally, for night fishing I like 5-15 ft flats close to deep water.
All of that and consider leaving the tip-ups at home. My experience has been that tip-ups can unnecessarily waste a lot of time that would be better spent jigging. Plus, you’re more likely to achieve a healthy release of an undersized ‘bot caught on a jigged jig or spoon than one caught on stationary chunk o’meat. Even a small one can inhale bait from stem to stern in the blink of an eye.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2024, 06:32 PM »
Jig for them right off the bottom with a minnow head or any cut fish on anything that rattles(buckshot, rippin rap, rattling flyer, walleye talker)  on the same structure you find walleye or perch(25-35') after dark and you can't miss. Don't forget to buy some 7up so you can boil the eelpout in it with salt, dipped in  melted butter...yummy. POOR MAN'S LOBSTER!

Offline Montexican

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2024, 10:49 PM »
Thanks! Looks like we are gonna be building some ice so I’ll give all of this a go one way or the other and let y’all know!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:04 PM »
Jig for them right off the bottom with a minnow head or any cut fish on anything that rattles(buckshot, rippin rap, rattling flyer, walleye talker)  on the same structure you find walleye or perch(25-35') after dark and you can't miss. Don't forget to buy some 7up so you can boil the eelpout in it with salt, dipped in  melted butter...yummy. POOR MAN'S LOBSTER!

We did that with pike and it was just as good! 

We used to catch them below Garrison Dam years ago drifting at night with Rapalas and smelt flies for kings and walleye.  Most were  quite big, like 5-10 pounds.  I wonder if that might work below Peck or the other MO reservoirs.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.