Author Topic: What flasher with $400  (Read 14390 times)

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What flasher with $400
« Reply #60 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:26 PM »
If I had to give you advice on a flasher, I'd say go with Vexilar. There is a reason the company has been around since the 80's and is still going strong. They also have the best customer service out there as, believe it or not, they are actually a very small company and care about their customers. I used to pro staff for Marcum and I wouldn't suggest their units, especially since they are now owned by Rapala. Their customer service is terrible. Humminbird makes a pretty good unit and I haven't heard very many bad reviews on their stuff.

I wouldn't ask advice on a public forum if you can help it. All you will get is bickering, testosterone hosing, and smoke blowing. We fish for a living and have seen all of this a million times.

Check the reviews, do your research. Whoever you decide to go with, shoot me a PM and I can give you the direct contact for them.

Good luck!

I love my vex too. There  is nothing wrong with them!!  Of course ppl will disagree, but I dont care.. I have seen the vx1 in action and it does not..repeat does NOT compare to a fl18.  The 18 is better. I dont know about a lx3 or 5 never used one.  I think Marcum has too many employees on this site bashing anything but there product, and like someone posted it does get old!!!  I know YOU love your Marcum!!! It does not mean everything else is junk......

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Nobody said Vex was junk just overpriced and outdated...If you don't mind paying more for less thats your choice....

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Nobody said Vex was junk just overpriced and outdated...If you don't mind paying more for less thats your choice....

REALLY????????

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:25 AM »
I love my vex too. There  is nothing wrong with them!!  Of course ppl will disagree, but I dont care.. I have seen the vx1 in action and it does not..repeat does NOT compare to a fl18.
Yes it does for half the price. That's the point people make. The Vexilars do nothing more than units that cost half as much and units that cost the same as the Vex do more. Nobody said Vex's are junk. Like said, just outdated and way overpriced ......but some people like that.   :-\
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:00 AM »
I have seen the vx1 in action and it does not..repeat does NOT compare to a fl18.  The 18 is better. I think Marcum has too many employees on this site bashing anything but there product, and like someone posted it does get old!!! 

You are the very first person I have ever heard say the fl-18 was better than the vx-1p. I've had dozens of people watch me fish with my vx-1p and say how much better they like it over their vexilars. On every message board I have ever read, for the past 5 years or so, you are the very first to have ever said the fl-18 is better than the vx-1p. The very first.

I think you are blinded by the vexilar name and your fl18 is the best because you own it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:01 AM »
I have seen the vx1 in action and it does not..repeat does NOT compare to a fl18.  The 18 is better.

What is it that keeps the Marcum from comparing to the Vex?  Is it the VX1's crisper display, its sub $300 price tag vs. the FL-18's $400 price tag that keeps it from comparing?  Understand I have no log in this fire, I do not own a Marcum but I have used them to include the VX1, I have a Vex and a X67c but I do not take it personally that I spent more on the Vex for less of a machine but knowing that there are new buyer's in the market looking at an entry level flasher, I think they need a fair comparison to help them make a choice.  So, how is it again that the VX1 does NOT compare to the FL18?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:03 AM »
So, how is it again that the VX1 does NOT compare to the FL18?

Because he owns a fl18 and does not want to admit to himself that the marcum is better.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I own an FL 18, and a VX1.  The VX1 is a POS compared to the 18.  It's on eBay right now, because I'm buying another 18.  Everything about the VX1 looks and feels cheaply made. 

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:59 AM »
Fords and Chevys, Yankees vs Red Sox....whatever, I own one of the two. go catch fish and have fun.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:27 PM »
I own an FL 18, and a VX1.  The VX1 is a POS compared to the 18.  It's on eBay right now, because I'm buying another 18.  Everything about the VX1 looks and feels cheaply made.

There will be plenty of people happy to buy it. ;)

Besides the "looks and feels cheaply made" stuff, do you have any other reasons? This is the first time I have heard this comment made about ANY piece of electronics, ever.... in my whole time on Iceshanty, I have never seen any comments about any flasher being cobbed together or cheap.

As far as the comments about employees of Marcum, I know who a few of the front office folks are and they have better things to do than plug products on Iceshanty. They have a real marketing fund for selling products and I am unaware that they use any internet shills or astroturf message boards in any way. Lots of happy customers plug for them plenty, the ethical and honest way.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I feel the same. In all these marcum vs vexilar debates it seems the vex crowd always refers to durability as main standout  point.  It always seems if is brought up as though it is a feature on the unit. I owned 3 different ones all were built well and would last along time . Had my 8 for 7 years and sold it with same battery. I have no reason to believe my new lx5 won't last as long or longer. Now with that out of the way, Features are next issue on these units. Or feature to dollar ratio. Side by side the vx1p blows the 18 out of the water. I had an 18 was my favorite vex unit they make and for that reason knowing there is better stuff out there I got over the "VEX" name pride and did my own research. Watched videos on units talked to people with the flashers I was looking into with the features I wanted. I owned and used every vex out there they were out of it right away. Prices are nuts with almost the same type of display on each one that I wanted to get away from, big lines with no dfference from regular to zoom mode in separation. Marcum had all the things I wanted better price and features . They don't over charge for a unit then charge extra for soft pack, dual beam , screen shield. enough said
Fishin red lines

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Best flasher out there for the price is the humminbird 35, only issue is other humminbirds, terrible interference, I have a marcum lx3tc and a fl20, both awesome flashers, I went though 3 showdown 5.6 dualbeams the winter before last, you could not give me one of these flashers, but marcum took care of me and sent me this little sweet lx3!   I'm talking from experience, only living 12 miles from the south basin of lake winnipeg!  You can't go wrong with any of them, except the showdown!

A vx1 does not compare to a fl18!  I've seen them in the same tent!  Come on!!! 
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Hey ddpole,  Why are you buying ANOTHER  fl-18 ?

Offline Hard Water Maniacs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Learn what you can, but teach what you know!"
« Reply #73 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:17 PM »
Wow! I haven't been on this thread in a while, (Mandy has). I can't believe there are still "grown men" arguing about which flasher is better. I have owned 4 Marcum units as we used to staff for them. 2 lx3's, 1 lx5, and 1 lx7. The only one that lasted longer than a single season was the 5. Add piss poor customer service experiences onto that, and it was a no brainer to move to Vex. I know guys who have been running their vex's for over a decade without an issue. Is Vexilar outdated? Are you kidding me? What a stupid thing to say. The FL22 is the most revolutionary sonar on the market for Vex. There isn't a unit out there that offers the resolution of the HD. Flashing lights and pretty colors, as in the case of the lx7, doesn't mean it's a better unit. It's over priced for most, loaded with features that most don't understand and wouldn't use anyway, and has a glare like looking in a mirror. Of course a lot of people on here will say how they have used every unit available, which we all know is most likely not true. Some guys base their purchase on how many peak to peak watts a unit can push without even realizing that every unit uses the same crystals in their transducers and all can only ping a peak of 400watts. The extra wattage is basically wasted. Fact is, there is a flasher on the market that will fit the needs of every angler. Is it really worth the typical forum banter that yours is better than anyone else? None of it is outdated or garbage. What is overpriced to some, may be pennies to others. Fit the unit to your style of fishing and move on.
H.W.M.  Youth Mentoring Director
Team Extreme Ice Circuit/ Wisconsin Director
Frabill Pro Staff
K&E Stopper Pro 
Jaw Jacker Pro 
ION Pro Staff
HT Pro Staff
Vexilar Promoter
U.S.A. Ice Team qualifier

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Wow! I haven't been on this thread in a while, (Mandy has). I can't believe there are still "grown men" arguing about which flasher is better. I have owned 4 Marcum units as we used to staff for them. 2 lx3's, 1 lx5, and 1 lx7. The only one that lasted longer than a single season was the 5. Add piss poor customer service experiences onto that, and it was a no brainer to move to Vex. I know guys who have been running their vex's for over a decade without an issue. Is Vexilar outdated? Are you kidding me? What a stupid thing to say. The FL22 is the most revolutionary sonar on the market for Vex. There isn't a unit out there that offers the resolution of the HD. Flashing lights and pretty colors, as in the case of the lx7, doesn't mean it's a better unit. It's over priced for most, loaded with features that most don't understand and wouldn't use anyway, and has a glare like looking in a mirror. Of course a lot of people on here will say how they have used every unit available, which we all know is most likely not true. Some guys base their purchase on how many peak to peak watts a unit can push without even realizing that every unit uses the same crystals in their transducers and all can only ping a peak of 400watts. The extra wattage is basically wasted. Fact is, there is a flasher on the market that will fit the needs of every angler. Is it really worth the typical forum banter that yours is better than anyone else? None of it is outdated or garbage. What is overpriced to some, may be pennies to others. Fit the unit to your style of fishing and move on.

So angry.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:35 PM »

Of course you have to say this as a Vexilar promoter, I am one that has used or owned all the Vex's made and theres no way they match Marcums, as far as reliability my current LX-5 was a first year model I bought used off a staffer/guide and has been problem free, did have an issue with a used Marcum camera I got, even stated clearly I bought it used and they sent me a brand new charger within a few days for free and answered my call within a couple rings....Also made a few calls concerning my LX-7 last year ( one of the first off the line) about the bugs and always answered quick and answered any questions... As far as glare I dont notice anymore glare from my 7 as I do off my HDS units when in the boat.... Now the 12,20 and 22 those have terrible glare when used in the sun....Everyone has an opinion some of our opinions are based on what we spend our money on not who's products we are endorsed to support....Frankly the opinions of staffers and those with sponcerships mean little to nothing to me...

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:44 PM »
So... you promote for Vexilar?

It says so right in your siggy. Just sayin.

I have used MOST of whats out there. That is mostly true. Vexilar offers nothing in the entry level that compares to anything else anyone has. I think that is what everyone is getting at. If you have $600, hey, knock yourself out with an FL-22. If you have $300-$400 to spend, you'd be pretty dumb to pass on an ice 35 or VX-1 for an FL-8 or FL-12.

I'm not a cheerleader for anyone.. I have no dog in the fight. You know it does not need to be all brand name loyalty. I have a cross bred pile of stuff made my Lowrance, Garmin, Marcum, and H-Bird. I will never understand why everyone gets so hung up on brand names. They act like it's some sort of sin to "cheat" on a manufacturer. Unless you are getting paid to fish with free stuff, it really makes no sense to me.

As far as Marcum service, I've never had a problem. There was a stretch when Aqua-Vu was in the mix, went bankrupt, and Versa essentially bought the rights to what they were making. That was a problem. It seems to be 100% remedied now.

Never had a problem with a bird, my buddy did though. They fixed it.... it was about that complicated.

The title of the thread is "what flasher for $400"... If you can get him a revolutionary FL-22 for that, maybe you should send him a PM. I'm sure he'd be all ears. Otherwise he is in that FL-8 FL-12 area.... That is also occupied by by the VX-1 and Ice35 that will do much more for the money.

And if we are gonna talk about wasted wattage, let's go fish some weeds with an S-Cable or on "low power mode".  ;) 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:49 PM »
Never have found that LB button or an S cable for either of my LX units, but they seem to work great in shallow weeds or brushy conditions where my FL-8-18 and 20 struggled...

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Back on subject....

I really like that Ice 35 I bought for my kid!! He may have to fight me for it! ;D

It blows my mind how great that thing is for $249!!! :o

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:24 AM »
249? where?????? That is a smokin price for that unit. Just looked in reeds catalog fl-12 pro pack $419.95. What a joke for a fl8 with a horrible glare screen."The FL22 is the most revolutionary sonar on the market for Vex" yeah you said it "for vex"..... doesn't say anything.... It is a nice unit my buddy runs one, I have used it and ran a fl20,18 and 8 they don't come close to the words crisp display and the price is a joke. 419 for a flat screen fl8 with lp built in which is not even needed on a lx unit.... Also "every unit uses the same crystals in their transducers and all can only ping a peak of 400watts" Not according to Tom Z at vexilar. He claims their transducers are the only ones designed for ice fishing being berium titnate and that all others will fail because they are not built for the cold.... watch some vex tv you will hear him say this.... I find this to be another turn off to the product when hearing false statements like this. Seems to me H-birds work in cold, Marcums work in cold & Lowrance....... looks like they were made for the ice as well  ::) People have a problem with marcums wattage and are fine with the fact the birds push just about as much. Mandy said herself she would like one....
Fishin red lines

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Mills Fleet was running a sale. They had the Vx-1 for that price too. You could check thier website, but I doubt the sale is still going. You gotta keep an eye on Mills. They blow stuff out in season for no reason sometimes.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:45 AM »
I knew about the vx1 didn't see the bird. Good deal.
Fishin red lines

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:40 PM »
You are the very first person I have ever heard say the fl-18 was better than the vx-1p. I've had dozens of people watch me fish with my vx-1p and say how much better they like it over their vexilars. On every message board I have ever read, for the past 5 years or so, you are the very first to have ever said the fl-18 is better than the vx-1p. The very first.

I think you are blinded by the vexilar name and your fl18 is the best because you own it.

I own a 20 hero!!  I have seen the 18 in action and the vx1 in action And I think the 18 is better.  Actually I was excited to see a Marcum to compare the difference between the 2 units as the vx1 is cheaper.  Then decided I want a 20.  You Marcum cats are something else ???   It has to be YOUR brand or nothing.  I think YOU might be blinded by brand name yourself fella :o.  I love to bust you guys chops because your so anal about the all mighty Marcum

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Many of us that run Marcums used to be dedicated Vex owners to, I have no regrets or remorse from changing and had the Marcums not been better would not have went that way...Have said it many times you would be shocked at what your Vex doesn't show you...I have alsways had an open invite to anyone to put their Vex next to my Marcums, so far not 1 taker to see for themself or try and show me different....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I own a 20 hero!!  I have seen the 18 in action and the vx1 in action And I think the 18 is better.  Actually I was excited to see a Marcum to compare the difference between the 2 units as the vx1 is cheaper.  Then decided I want a 20.  You Marcum cats are something else ???   It has to be YOUR brand or nothing.  I think YOU might be blinded by brand name yourself fella :o.  I love to bust you guys chops because your so anal about the all mighty Marcum

You couldnt be any more incorrect. I looked at every brand on the ice before I decided to purchase. I didnt even know what a marcum was when I bought mine. I didnt know anything about the details of their features or how much power each one had... I just simply looked at them on the ice and the difference was clear. The marcum was a much better unit. Then after I got one I read up on each one here on the internet (backwards I know) and now I know why I liked the marcum so much better. They are superior to the vexilars in every single way except one. Marcum does not have the option to add a cup holder or fancy flexible light.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:14 PM »
I was open minded enough to buy all three brands.... :whistle:

I think I even have an old Zercom around here somewhere. ;)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:17 PM »
I still have a Super Sixty someplace, sold my Zercom though when I went to Vex...

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:21 PM »
I have my zercom in the basement! Still works great, I let my buddy use it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Nearest I can figure, there are only three real flashers that will come in under $400...

FL-8
ICE-35
VX-1

Somehow the conversation keeps wandering away from them though.

You can toss in the FL-18 if you go blue box and hunt price, but the rest are over $400. Even the FL-12 is out.

LX-3 and ICE-45 are $399 on the seeds, but there will be taxes and shipping.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Depends where you live and order from, I buy my electronics from Pro Fishing Supply in Mn no tax or shipping...Non Iowa residents may find a similar deal through Jolly Ann Marine...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.