The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Indian Brook Res  (Read 892 times)

Offline Jigging4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
Indian Brook Res
« on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Is this safe right now? Looking to go tomorrow morning, Thanks! [hour drive]

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Indian Brook Res
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:34 PM »
It's frozen, but I certainly wouldn't drive more than a few minutes for Indian Brook. There are a few bass in there, but other than that it's all tiny perch and panfish.

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2018, 05:15 PM »
It’s frozen but the panfish bite has been off this year. I havent caught much this year.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2018, 05:32 PM »
The panfish bite could be off because of the Blue Green Algae outbreaks in October and November. Parks and Rec sent out emails to all of the passholders several times, and it sounds as if quite a few fish died during the November outbreak.

Offline ieatanimals128

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • out smart, out work, out fish!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Damn, I hadn't heard about the algae outbreak. Does anyone have a copy of the email they can post?

Isn't it weird to have an outbreak that late in the year? I always thought algae problems were more of a late summer issue.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Dear Indian Brook Pass Holder,
You are receiving this email as you are an active pass holder for Indian Brook Reservoir. This email contains an update to an initial email was sent out last Friday, 11/9. We learned over the weekend that the email did not send to all active pass holders. We apologize for this system mishap and trust that we have all active pass holders captured in today’s email.

For reference, information sent on Friday, 11/9, stated the following:

Dear Indian Brook Members,

After concerned calls and confirmation with the Vermont Department of Health, we have posted signs of Cyanobacteria (commonly known as blue/green algae) in the water at Indian Brook. Please stay out of the water - humans and pets. If you have contact with the water, please rinse off ASAP. This is a first for Indian Brook, we appreciate your patience as we work through it all.

Thank you,

Essex Parks and Recreation

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

UPDATE

As of today, November 13th, please read the update regarding the water status at Indian Brook Reservoir, along with viewing the attached pictures.

This morning, updated pictures of the shoreline were sent to the Health Department for visual review and confirmation of the presence of Cyanobacteria (blue/green algae). Our staff indicated that the algae looked to be “collected” in the areas where leaves and pine needles were holding onto it as other areas did not show any clumping or blue/green haze over the water. Although not required or necessary per the Health Department, we are sending a water sample to the lab in Montpelier to determine what type of Cyanobacteria are present and document the “bloom” more effectively.

At this time, please continue to stay OUT of the water at Indian Brook – humans and pets. Those who drink or swim in water (or pets who lick their fur after being exposed) that contains high concentrations of cyanobacteria or cyanobacterial toxins may experience gastroenteritis, skin irritation, and allergic responses.
We have approx. 15 signs posted at the park entrance & driveways, water’s edge areas and trail heads. Once the algae has dissipated, we will send an update but will continue to keep signage up for a few days after the dissipation. If you come into contact with the water (or if your dog does in any manner), please be sure to rinse off as soon as possible and keep an eye on yourself and your dog.

The park is open to active pass holders. If you bring your dog with you, please have them leashed at all times for their safety from Cyanobacteria. REMEMBER – dogs must be on leash at all times in the parking lots, driveways, picnic area and boat launch area. This is for their general safety as well as the safety of others who expect park rules be followed by all park-goers.

For more information on Cyanobacteria (blue/green algae), please visit the Vermont Health Department’s site and watch the informational video as well. www.healthvermont.gov/cyanobacteria. The Health Department also has a tracker map of reported Cyanobacteria and they added Indian Brook Reservoir to the list last Friday. Again, another great informational site that describes the status of low, high and generally safe levels of Cyanobacteria. https://apps.health.vermont.gov/vttracking/cyanobacteria/2018/d/

We appreciate your patience and adherence to these modifications at the park. Thank you for enjoying the Reservoir and stay tuned for more information.

Offline ieatanimals128

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • out smart, out work, out fish!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Thank you for sharing!

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2018, 06:18 AM »
Do you have to be a passholder to fish there in the winter.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:19 AM »
No, they only staff the entrance in the summer and fall. Even then, nobody gets there until 8 or so, so if you go early you can still use the park. In the winter time it's free access.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Perfect... Thanks for the info..

Is the fishing really as bad as projected on here? Winter and summer? I've always heard good things about it.

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Lots of small Perch and Panfish, occasional Crappie, some decent Bass in there. They stock Brookies, but I only catch them in the spring right after they stock. I have a feeling that not much of the stock actually establishes there, they get fished pretty heavy in the spring. No Pike or Picks, or anything else substantial. It's beautiful there, though, and easy access. If you're just looking for a bucket of Panfish, you'll get lots without hiking too far, but aside from the occasional Bass you're not going to get anything big.

Personally, I prefer Colchester Pond for winter fishing if you're in that general area. Loads of Pike, some larger Perch and Panfish (including the occasional Rock Bass), and then even more Pike. There's some good sized ones, too. A kid caught a 40" one there this summer from the shore.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2018, 11:53 AM »
I agree:  it's a pleasant place but there's not a lot to catch.

Some years there are nice bluegills, but they are too wormy for my taste.  The perch are wormier than I like, too.

I'm quite sure the trout don't survive at all in there.  Btw, F&W doesn't stock it-- the town does.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.