The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: baitfish regs ????  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: baitfish regs ????
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Yes, I also have been told by several wardens they don't care where or when I bought my bait or for what body of water I signed it for.  And they have also agreed that the law as written would let you split up your bait before going onto the designated body of water and you could bring the remainder of your bait stock to the designated body of water at any time during the remainder of the 72 hour period. It can only go onto the water once and can't come off the water. I have never been asked anything about my bait (and I am sure that is intentional on their part). I started the dialog regarding the bait laws and they only responded to my questions. In the past two years I have been asked for my liscense at least ten times (and I always use bait). So, you decide what is important. ??? ??? ???

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:10 AM »
if you order 2 dozen bait and get a slip for 2 dozen and they give you 2 and a half dozen can you get nailed for having someone being nice
Never had them count them :whistle:

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:15 AM »
i've looked but can not find!!  what happens when i'm caught with aka "bad bait" ?  so i save my $30 worth of bait till next weekend!!  anybody knows what happens if i get caught??
I'm not sure But they could take your lic. They used to take it for any violation.

Offline Fresh Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:54 AM »
Never had them count them :whistle:

Same here, they always ask to see my receipt but never check my bait.I also fish on a lake that I stay on and the warden said it was ok to bring the bait back to the cabin.

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:07 AM »
It kills me having to dump bait down the hole.  Waste of money.  Whats the reasoning behind these stupid rules?? ???

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:02 PM »
It kills me having to dump bait down the hole.  Waste of money.  Whats the reasoning behind these stupid rules?? ???

The way I look at it.  The state now controls the bait situation with these laws, I am sure they are getting some money for it.  So I think its helping them generate some revenue.... just my two cents.

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:04 PM »

The way I look at it.  The state now controls the bait situation with these laws, I am sure they are getting some money for it.  So I think its helping them generate some revenue.... just my two cents.

I agree by having us waste the bait we have to buy it again the next day spend twice the money

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Exactly..... we keep buying it. The state keeps bringing it in and distributing it to the shops....

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Making sales tax on it. Used to be undertable purchases. This falls in the catagory of swine flew. A made up emergency to sieze more control, more control more money.

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:06 PM »

doesn't say to kill your bait and leave it on the ice and not dump them alive in the hole??

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:13 PM »
doesn't say to kill your bait and leave it on the ice and not dump them alive in the hole??

I thought it said that you have to dump the live bait on the ice

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:17 PM »
I thought it said that you have to dump the live bait on the ice

right from the horse's mouth:

What do I do with my unused left over baitfish?
The Department recommends that leftover baitfish be killed and discarded on the ice or in the water prior to leaving the waterbody.

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:51 AM »
On the lighter side i had never caught a white perch before.   This happened a few years back.   I was fishing also i did not know golden shiners could reach 11 or 12 inches.   I was catching what I thought were white perch taking and yes eating them.  They actually had a mild trout taste not bad at all.   I had about 10 in my pail and I was told at that time what they were and could be fined for transporting them.   I always thought in was a little funny

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:16 AM »
We as fisherman have to be creative always fine tuning presentation, lures, bait
set ups etc. Opening weekend I bought bait for the boys, we could not determine
which lake to fish. We had 3 choices. I left the bait shop with 3 slips and 14 dozen.
Each slip was made out to a different lake. Most of our bait stayed in a large cooler
inside truck with 2 airators. We were legal on 3 lakes for 4 days with 14 dozen
what is the problem? As the rule indicates - just don't take the bait out of your
vehicle and can reuse on day 2. 

Offline HOOKonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:45 AM »
 ;D Absolutely right ! Be creative! When you bring home the bait and go back next time get just a few with new slip and add left-over bait and you got plenty!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:36 AM »
;D Absolutely right ! Be creative! When you bring home the bait and go back next time get just a few with new slip and add left-over bait and you got plenty!

Thats a great idea ill have to keep that in mind :tipup:

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:08 PM »
The reason, as is quoted in the 2011 Vermont Fish and Game Laws and Guide, on Page 53.  I went to one of the Vermont Fish and Game meetings, in my local area, when they were going to purpose these new bait laws.  I wished, we could have a update, on any new evidence, of the disease, and where it is now?  I haven't heard of any?  I commented on another post, on Ice Shanty.com.  My bro, fished the Pulaski River, a few years, before the I attended, the above Fish and Game Meeting, I went to.  He told me, that he talked to a individual, who worked at one of the Fish Hatchery's, from Lake Ontario.  This individual, told my bro, that there Hatchery, had given the Vermont Fish and Game Hatchery, fish, for stocking in Vermont.  My bro, talked with this individual, while fishing on the Pulaski river, in NY.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Thats a great idea ill have to keep that in mind :tipup:
     Your new slip states the amount of bait you bought ?????

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:37 PM »
oh shoot I forgot about that  :'(

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:40 PM »
     Your new slip states the amount of bait you bought ?????

But usually when you buy a dozen you get two dozen or 18, so the slips cant be that accurate anyways.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:26 PM »
My bro, fished the Pulaski River, a few years, before the I attended, the above Fish and Game Meeting, I went to.  He told me, that he talked to a individual, who worked at one of the Fish Hatchery's, from Lake Ontario.  This individual, told my bro, that there Hatchery, had given the Vermont Fish and Game Hatchery, fish, for stocking in Vermont.  My bro, talked with this individual, while fishing on the Pulaski river, in NY.

Eggs were collected many years(2006 and earlier) ago prior to the threat of VHS in these parts, do you remember what year that your brother talked to this individual?

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:26 PM »
We got caught using bait we had caught somewhere else within the state and the warden made a point to make an example out of us and tagged us with a 275 dollar fine.  We were well aware of the new bait regulations we just thought we were invincible.  After moaning about it we all came to the conclusion that we really do have a beautiful place here in Vermont that is Right in our back yard.  The Rules are not only for the state but for all of us to protect our pristine fisheries.  Lesson learned. 
i had a buddie on norton pond get nailed with a 375 dollar fine each and there was 3 of them
aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2011, 04:41 AM »
i had a buddie on norton pond get nailed with a 375 dollar fine each and there was 3 of them

Wow thats a dent in the wallet :'(

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #53 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:10 AM »

what did he get in trouble with on norton?

Offline vtlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:26 AM »
talked with f&g about a smelt hatchery in maine harmon brook farm the only smelt hatchery in the usa they stock smelt for maine 2.5million in moose head lake alone they were looking at them for bait dealer and yes they do have a web site www.harmonbrookfarm.co m

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:52 PM »
talked with f&g about a smelt hatchery in maine harmon brook farm the only smelt hatchery in the usa they stock smelt for maine 2.5million in moose head lake alone they were looking at them for bait dealer and yes they do have a web site www.harmonbrookfarm.co m

NICE BIG GOLDENS AND SUCKERS!!!!!

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 23, 2011, 02:17 PM »
what did he get in trouble with on norton?
smelt white fish and some pike bait they didnt have a slip on
aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline trtman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:49 PM »
      What did they have to say?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.