Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 50714 times)

Offline rockape

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Congrats on your FX100I.
Got the reflectix installed on my FX100 per your advice.  Thanks.
Hopefully won't be much longer until first ice.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:53 AM »
your welcome and thank you also!

my last fx100 was sold last night on the phone to a buddy who needs one really bad. it's like new and all decked out, so i know he will be super happy with it.

i wanted to speak with shappell and checked their web page only to find all contact has been removed from their site. i used my contacts in my pc i keep stored and ended up with the new owners and i thought i would share that info here with you all in case you need to speak with them too or for warranty. just ask for someone in the shappell department.

Wright & McGill Co.
4245 E. 46th Avenue
Denver, CO 80216
Phone: 720 941 8700 | Fax: 303 321 4750
Warranty: 720-941-8718

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I'd like to try out the 2 man...thanks for the pictures/info!

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Thank you!!!!! How much wind comes up between the skirt and tub? my frabill has an extra, heavy flap there to help seal it off but I don't see that on the Shappell? Does the fx200i have the same downslung emt to help the skirt stay on the ice

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2017, 12:31 AM »
i should have taken more pictures today while i was at franks. they have many shelters and brands set up. i kinda want the fx200I but i don't want to nearly double the weight from the fx100I. i always hand pull.
it does have what i will call a corner to the area that you seal by hand to the tub. it is more thought out than it is on the fx100. so this corner has the skirt attached  on the long run and the short return that then has another flap with velcro the only part of this that does not have the skirt id the velcro flap. if this make sense to you.
that's for the fx200 and fx200I. the fx100 and fx100I does not have the "corner or return end on the end of long run.

none of them have yet introduced the dog leg i mentioned to mike shappell be fore he sold out. eagle claw will be adding it they said.

i don't know how much wind gets past the fx200 tent in that area. i don't own one. it looks well thought out. the fx100 tent to tub is inline so wind only comes in from a slit near where the hinges are. the slit allows for the tent to open and close as close as it can, but does not have an overlap at all.
the fx200I has tiny windows on the sides where the fx100 has mesh and wind flaps that close the mesh that you control how much of the flap is in place for more or less air flow for heating.  the fx200I had what looked like a fixed long narrow triangle mesh near the very top for venting, but i didn't look at the outside to see what they did there.

the wind bar is a tapered conduit that goes into a hole they drilled in the nose lip of the tub. i use a bolt and washers for the fx100's instead.

it is short and not meant to stand in. i did check out many of them out today. it was nice being able to stand straight up and walk in/out of other brand flip overs, but not worth the weight. the low profile will be nice for windy days.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:02 PM »
Did anyone else get to lay eyes on this mythical unicorn this year? Definetly ready to buy, would be a no brainer with the addition of dog bone shaped bar. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2018, 08:16 AM »
so after using it for this short season i have updates for you.

the fabric still gets frost on it on the inside and goes from the ice about two feet up . i guess this is where the heater can't keep up with the cold coming off of the ice. some flooring probably would stop that. like anti-fatigue mats.

the heat welds do accumulate moisture and it freezes in them. the tiny dots it what collects the moisture. a few times i used no heater and it still did that. the sun was out and then it at and the frost settled down onto it and my body heat was enough for it to take place. using a heater makes it happen faster.
running a mid size mr heater in it was way too much heat most days. when the temps were around zero that size heater was welcomed and that's when the frost build up was noticed two feet up.

one day heavy snow was falling and making the same problem with the welds and no heater was on. they said these welds are supposed to be better than most and they are not supposed to leak. i did not have leaks from them, only moisture collecting in them.

the wind noise is great in it compared to the non thermo version of it. it seems more quite inside like the fabric absorbs sound some what. the wind flap and noise from it is also reduced considerately.

i did spray two cans of water proofing on it and applied it extra heavy on the roof and seams. i used atsko extreme water guard.

the side vents/windows has velcro all of the way down and around now so it is easier to have it opened in any position. it used to have a limited amount of velcro used which limited the positions it could be used. a co used it to talk to me one night and watching what was going on inside.

the rest of the shelter is the same.
it would be nice if they included a rear wind bar and get the wind bar for the skirt done.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Looks pretty slick! I'm a current FX100 user have had a Frabill & Clam prior to it.
Love the weight & front space along with price of it.
I'm glad it's insulated but really wish they would've done away with the Velcro. Besides having them tear off I've also had several times where the Velcro has iced up & wouldn't stick without some work. But overall I'd go with another one or the new one!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:54 AM »
They must be available, Chaumont Hardware has an insulated one right now on clearance...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:23 PM »
They must be available, Chaumont Hardware has an insulated one right now on clearance...

How much are they asking?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:41 PM »
How much are they asking?

249 bucks for the insulated FX 100, 199 bucks for the non insulated FX 100...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:38 PM »
that's about 100$ off and what the non thermo cost retail, so a nice find if you can get it. there were only 100 made so far.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:21 AM »
I was planning on getting the FX100 this fall.  Found them at Sportsmans Guide and Bass Pro for $220 ish this past winter.  Going to have to save a little extra and get the insulated version!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2018, 03:04 PM »
Greg at Chaumont Hardware is reporting his distributor has a bunch of these in stock and is looking to unload them, CHEAP.

$249 bucks.

Greg says he'll hold 'em for as long as it takes anybody to get here and get one after they've paid for it.

Check out the Chaumont Hardware FB page for more details.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 07, 2018, 03:24 PM »
13 hour drive for me.  Probably not doable but hopefully some one can take advantage.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:21 AM »
Ice Scratcher, I want to know how you sit on the seat, without burning the hell out of your back???   That heater has to be no more then a foot from you!

Its about three feet away really...

I take my coat off for sure...

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Jul 25, 2018, 10:27 AM »
updated picture links. old pics were broken. i know many are interested in getting one, so i wanted this post fixed.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Aug 22, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Has anyone seen these online yet? Can't wait to get my hands on one this year!

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Sep 17, 2018, 07:08 AM »
These are now listed on Sportsmans Guide. Looks like a good price at $270. Not sure how good the thermal shell will be. The unit weighs 37 pounds which is the same as the basic FX100.  I was thinking this would be at least a couple pounds heavier due to the insulated fabric. I plan on getting one if they run on sale or offer free shipping.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/shappell-fx100i-insulated-1-man-flip-ice-fishing-shelter?a=2184747

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #50 on: Sep 17, 2018, 07:14 AM »
Nice i will be getting one.strange it weighs the same as the fx100.wondering where they skimped out on things to make it weigh the same as the non insulated fx100?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Sep 17, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Most likely a misprint.
<===Lefty===

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Sep 17, 2018, 07:45 AM »
Nice i will be getting one.strange it weighs the same as the fx100.wondering where they skimped out on things to make it weigh the same as the non insulated fx100?

Doc, if you read the details, they went from 600 denier fabric in the uninsulated FX100 to 300 denier in the FX100i.  Maybe that's why no additional weight.  That's also a little disappointing.  300 is really thin. 

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Sep 17, 2018, 07:47 AM »
So now the question is..... is it better to have 300 D insulated or 600 D uninsulated for $40 cheaper??

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I posted a deal on the fx100i in the deals thread:
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.3240

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #55 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:31 AM »
So now the question is..... is it better to have 300 D insulated or 600 D uninsulated for $40 cheaper??
right..good question.ive got the non insulated fx100.300d is pretty thin.seems like the 600d may be better.on the fence about getting a fx100i now.i wouldve like 600d insulated fabric even if it added a few more pound to it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:37 AM »
right..good question.ive got the non insulated fx100.300d is pretty thin.seems like the 600d may be better.on the fence about getting a fx100i now.i wouldve like 600d insulated fabric even if it added a few more pound to it.
should all be 600 denier or better.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:45 AM »
I just sent Shappell an email to ask what fabric is on it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:53 AM »
insulated version should be 300 outer layer and 300 inner layer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.