Author Topic: Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger issue  (Read 16484 times)

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger issue
« on: Jan 02, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Hey everyone, I just got the newest version of the Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger with the centering bit.  Went out today and that thing wouldn't drill ice for anything!  Was having to push down way to hard IMO.  This is brand new out of the box!  Certainly doesn't drill like all the videos I watched.  Using a Milwaukee drill.  Power wasnt an issue.  Was using low gear. 

Anyone else had this issue?  This sucks.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger issue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:00 PM »
those are shaver blades right?? Sounds like the blades got banged in shipping and are off angle now. Get a new set.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:07 PM »
They are shaver blades.  The end cap was on it.  Blades couldn't have gotten hit.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Is it possible the blades are upside down? This does happen.
<===Lefty===

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:30 PM »
 2 things , could have been banged at the factory before shipping ,  are they correctly installed

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:37 PM »
Have the same bit. No issues here. Drills plenty of holes all day with little effort. Perhaps a factory defect or blades improperly mounted

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:51 PM »
Blades were checked first thing.  They are good.  My old Pistol Bit (gen1) would cut no issues.  This one has the centering bit.  I wonder if it's dull?  That would keep it from going down to allow the shavers to cut.

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:52 PM »
Is it possible the blades are upside down? This does happen.

They are good to go

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:19 PM »
I just bought a 8” pistol this year and had the same issue today

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:33 PM »
Ugh sounds like quality control issues.

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:39 PM »
I just bought a 8” pistol this year and had the same issue today

Where did you get yours from?  It was aggravating trying to drill.  Dang thing would just spin and not dig.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:40 PM »
Where did you get yours from?  It was aggravating trying to drill.  Dang thing would just spin and not dig.
centerpoint sharp and not bent?my jiffy with centerpoint if its not sharp it will spin and not dig into the ice either.different situations but same problem.

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:49 PM »
centerpoint sharp and not bent?my jiffy with centerpoint if its not sharp it will spin and not dig into the ice either.different situations but same problem.

Seems sharp.  Doesn't have much profile like my old jiffy pro 4 had. 

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Take it back and get a SM Lite Flite ;)  ;D
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Seems sharp.  Doesn't have much profile like my old jiffy pro 4 had.

This is a blade problem.

If it's new, just take it back and get a different one.

Otherwise you have one of two things. Blades are dull/not sharp. The pitch of the blades is wrong.

A shaver blade can seem and feel sharp even though it is dull.

When I sharpen them with my gatco sharpener....Sometimes I think the blades are sharp....will go out and try it on the pond.....nope just spins or takes to much pressure to cut. Go back and sharpen the blades for awhile try again and yep.....they are sharp now....áuger cuts.

On shaver blades sharp isn't enough.....you need razor sharp. Like you lightly run your finger down it and you'll have fine cuts on your finger skin.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:29 PM »
I’m betting on clogged with ice around tip.

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:44 PM »
I’m betting on clogged with ice around tip.

Nope,,checked

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:46 PM »
This is a blade problem.

If it's new, just take it back and get a different one.

Otherwise you have one of two things. Blades are dull/not sharp. The pitch of the blades is wrong.

A shaver blade can seem and feel sharp even though it is dull.

When I sharpen them with my gatco sharpener....Sometimes I think the blades are sharp....will go out and try it on the pond.....nope just spins or takes to much pressure to cut. Go back and sharpen the blades for awhile try again and yep.....they are sharp now....áuger cuts.

On shaver blades sharp isn't enough.....you need razor sharp. Like you lightly run your finger down it and you'll have fine cuts on your finger skin.

Yep, going to call the place on Monday.  Something isn't right.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Yep, going to call the place on Monday.  Something isn't right.

What's stamped on the blades? Does it say made in china

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2021, 09:18 PM »
What's stamped on the blades? Does it say made in china

Nothing on blades, but base states made in China

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:37 PM »
I got my pistol bit at fleet farm online ..gonna contact customer service and see what they will do

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:25 PM »
I used a friends for the first time and it seems like it does need a bit of pressure to cut unlike the my lazer.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:06 PM »
I bought a new Eskimo Pistol Bit 8" this season as well and I am noticing the same thing. I have to apply a bit of pressure with my Milwaukee drill in order to start cutting ice. Coming from a Tanaka/Nils setup, this feels weird to me having to do this, but I love the portability and the even lighter weight setup.

We currently have about 18 inches of ice here in SK and so far and this Pistol Bit/Milwaukee combo is handling it like a champ  :tipup:

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Was it an online purchase?  If so, it could've been used, damaged, then returned, or it's defective and they keep putting it back in circulation.  I ordered a new ION from Scheels, and immediately noticed something wasn't right when the power cord for the charger didn't have a twist tie around it, or being in a little clear bag.  Then I noticed the previous owner had filled out the product info, purchased location and date, etc. in the manual.  It didn't cut worth a crap when I brought it out this past weekend.  I called the bait store nearby and luckily they did have blades for 10" G2, so I bought em and they threw them on.  While ice fishing, I called Scheels and they reimbursed me the cost of the new blades. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:04 PM »
I called Eskimo today because my new bit was not cutting..they claim they had a bad batch of blades with the wrong pitch...same problem a couple years ago on my ion ...the ice would build up on the bit and wouldn’t cut and when I called them they said it was a bad batch...I like Eskimo products but you think they would test there products thoroughly before mass producing them

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2021, 09:26 PM »
I called Eskimo today because my new bit was not cutting..they claim they had a bad batch of blades with the wrong pitch...same problem a couple years ago on my ion ...the ice would build up on the bit and wouldn’t cut and when I called them they said it was a bad batch...I like Eskimo products but you think they would test there products thoroughly before mass producing them

A bad pitch could be just a few degrees off.

You can't expect Eskimo to test every piece of gear they sell....
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:43 PM »

Eskimo and ion are the same company.....Ardisan. If you get a new set of blades just have the bad set resharpen ended and they should work fine.

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:34 PM »
Not saying they should test every piece of equipment they sell but when you have bought 2 different bits from ardisam and both of them have come not even close to what you would expect out of a ice auger bit it gets frustrating...an ice auger is the most important piece of ice fishing equipment you own and when it’s left me not being able to ice fish on both those occasions and then having to wait a week to get replacements that gets very frustrating.. all this stuff is made in China and there’s no quality control anymore

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:45 PM »
Not saying they should test every piece of equipment they sell but when you have bought 2 different bits from ardisam and both of them have come not even close to what you would expect out of a ice auger bit it gets frustrating...an ice auger is the most important piece of ice fishing equipment you own and when it’s left me not being able to ice fish on both those occasions and then having to wait a week to get replacements that gets very frustrating.. all this stuff is made in China and there’s no quality control anymore

I understand and agree.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:58 PM »
Hey everyone, I just got the newest version of the Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger with the centering bit.  Went out today and that thing wouldn't drill ice for anything!  Was having to push down way to hard IMO.  This is brand new out of the box!  Certainly doesn't drill like all the videos I watched.  Using a Milwaukee drill.  Power wasnt an issue.  Was using low gear. 

Anyone else had this issue?  This sucks.

If its complete out of the box, just box it right back up and send it back. No its not how it should drill.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.