Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Eskimo propane auger  (Read 1077 times)

Offline loadtoad19

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo propane auger
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Anyone using the new Eskimo P1 Rocket, if so what do you think?

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo propane auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Awesome!!! Drilled prob bout 120 holes with so far.  I have the 8" and it cuts holes with ease and it's fast.  Fairly light for a power auger too.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo propane auger
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:52 AM »
I picked up a 10" a few weeks ago but have only drilled 14 holes so far. It cuts through 36" of ice fairly quick but you definitely need to clear the ice out of the hole or it starts to bog down near the bottom. It's also quite good at reopening old holes.

First start in the garage took 8 pulls. First start on the ice took about the same, temp was -15C and the powerhead and propane tank were warm from being in the truck. To test it I left it outside the shack overnight, temps went down to -20C, and in the morning with a warm propane tank it took about 20 pulls to start. It idled for 20 seconds and then died, and I could not get it running again. I let the powerhead warm up in the shack for an hour and then it started on the first pull and purred like a kitten. It's a quiet auger and the 4 stroke exhaust is not nearly as nasty inside the shack as a 2 stroke would be.

One of the reasons I bought this auger was that it came with the quick detach. I figured it would be easy to bring the powerhead into the shack overnight with this, but I neglected to detach it right after cutting my holes and it froze together quickly. Lesson learned.

There's still a month and half left in the season so I'll update again as I use it more.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.