Author Topic: Tips  (Read 2804 times)

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tips
« on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:45 PM »
I'm having a hard time getting the bigger perch to bite , any tips would be great .
I've tried everything i no of ? Different spoon , jigs , big, small  baits of all kinds .
Can keep the small 4-5 inchers away. I no there there I see them on the camera.
Any tips would be great!

Offline 1buck1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tips
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:07 PM »
The perch are in schools of the same size on average. some bigger can be close too and they will be higher in the water column . here in Canada , i like to put the largest minnow that big perch can swallow at 4-5 feet from the bottom when the water is clear . the biggest perch i caught are often on that rig but  caught the more perch on a tiny jig tipped with a plastic honneyworm or any plastic larvae . i prefer plastic because i don't have to change my bait everytime i caught a perch. my best jig to catch big perch is a Northland forage minnow firetiger with a plastic fish eye . i caught more than 500 fish without changing the plastic eye. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Try about a 4 inch long piece of bacon, hook it three or more times. 

Please let us know the results, when you see them, they're there.     :thumbsup: :roflmao: ;)2

Offline Masonbuchanan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:24 PM »
I find the same issue up at skeleton lake by Boyle. No problem catching 100's of 5-6" perch, but when you see the jumbos they just stare at your hook. I just switch lures, bait and jogging stroke until I find a combo that works. I like to use Lindy rattlin flyers when trying to avoid the dinky little perch.

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:42 PM »
We have some pressured lakes over here that are full of foot long perch, sometimes 14"ers here and there... I have learned to dead stick for better results this year. Also, try putting some aquariums plants around your camera, ours are camera shy sometimes too. The hali jig, vertical worm jigs, and medium shiners 5ft up have been phenominal.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Great tips...thanks.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.