Author Topic: Purchasing first flasher  (Read 1253 times)

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
Purchasing first flasher
« on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:20 AM »
Hey guys, I am finally getting serious about jigging for panfish after getting only 1 dink perch this weekend and 5 pickerals.  I have been watching a lot of videos and I am sold on the Vexilar FL8.  Before I make this investment, are there any other electronics I should consider first in a similar price range (or less)?  TIA

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Purchasing first flasher
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Have you considered the garmin striker 4 ice bundle? Great little unit that can be used on a boat/kayak and on the ice. It works great and the battery lasts a very long time. Unit is very affordable. I love mine and have been using it for 3 seasons now.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:34 AM »
Have you considered the garmin striker 4 ice bundle? Great little unit that can be used on a boat/kayak and on the ice. It works great and the battery lasts a very long time. Unit is very affordable. I love mine and have been using it for 3 seasons now.

Thank you, I will check that out now.  I like the price point.  Any benefits vs the flasher?  I don't think I will ever use besides hard water

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:35 AM »
I never actually use the flasher mode. I use the traditional graph mode and it gives you a brief history as it scrolls past. plus it has gps on it so you can mark good holes that produce so you can come back to that spot
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Marble Eye Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chasing Hogs!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Vexilar makes a fantastic product, you cannot go wrong with any of their flashers. If you are mostly going for pan fish the FL8 is perfect. Perhaps think of going with the FLX20 if you are doing a lot of shallow water or would like to have a zoom function, but the FL8 has everything you will need. I have the FL18 which I love for Walleye the 6' zoom is nice, and with the pro ducer I can check water depth without having to drill first which saves a lot of time and effort. The biggest benefit I like about Vexilar is their customer service and the reliability/durability of the flashers, they will last forever if you take care of it. The only other downside to the FL series vs the FLX series aside from the display is the noise of the FL series but that doesn't bother me at all.
I'd rather be fishin!!

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Hummingbird Ice 35 is a good unit if you just want a flasher.  It has zoom and dual cones.  It does not have gps, but it can't be beat as far as flashers are concerned.

thank you, I just went with the ICE 35.  Great reviews and since my local shop was sold out of the vexilar, I bought on amazon to ensure I will have it by sunday and avoid a trip to Dicks

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:15 AM »
thank you, I just went with the ICE 35.  Great reviews and since my local shop was sold out of the vexilar, I bought on amazon to ensure I will have it by sunday and avoid a trip to Dicks

Agree with not going to Dicks :thumbsup:

Offline RipLipp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2019, 12:05 PM »
I've had the HB Ice-35 for five years now. Never had an issue with it and works perfectly.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2019, 12:24 PM »
You will be happy with it.  I own the Ice 55 and I love it.  It is a bit expensive though.  We bought our Son the Ice 45 for Xmas two years ago and he loves it.  I talked to a buddy of mine who's dad owns a Hardware, sporting goods store.  He said he has the 35.  All three have the zoom and dual transducers so that you can set the cone size.  The only difference in the three models is that the 35 doesn't have as many colors on the screen, the 45 has one more color and the 55 has one more color yet.  But, as far as a flasher goes, you really don't need all the different colors, in fact, I usually have mine set on two colors even though it has more.  If you have any questions about the unit PM me and I'll help you with what I can.  I've had my unit for about eight years now with virtually no problems.  Well, I did break one of the power clips off and had to send for a new one, but I was back and running within a week.  Enjoy your new flasher and again, if you need anything, PM me.

thank you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.