Author Topic: blade baits  (Read 2332 times)

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
blade baits
« on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:50 PM »
 I never caught a fish jigging a blade bait,they vibrate very good and have good profile and color combinations but just don't seem to work for me,how has your luck been?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: blade baits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:54 PM »
I never caught a fish jigging a blade bait,they vibrate very good and have good profile and color combinations but just don't seem to work for me,how has your luck been?

Vibratos are a great attraction to get fish to come closer. Trout don't always bite them, but when they do they are nearly always caught because Vibratos are so hooky with a treble at each end.  I have had days when they were super. I use tube jigs first and Vibratos second.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2020, 03:58 PM »
I had success with the cicadas , walleyes , very big ones.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2020, 04:27 PM »
I will admit I've caught more fish casting and retrieving a blade bait than I have jigging a blade bait.  However, that may be due to the fact, I don't jig them as much.  When I do jig them, I usually have decent results.  I've jigged up, crappies, catfish, walleyes, bass and pike, jigging a blade bait thru the ice.

You may be over working the bait.  My usual jigging stroke is just long enough to feel the shake, about 4 to 6 inches of rod tip travel. Sometimes I'll repeat several jigging strokes in rapid succession followed by a long pause. Then just barely jig the rod tip ( a quick little bounce)  to trigger a strike.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:09 PM »

I have mainly jigged them during ice season for walleye with no success ,bait,no bait,slow,fast or zero movement. I have trolled them without success in the summer.I own multiple sizes and colors.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:11 PM »

how were you fishing them? color? bait or no bait?

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Remove the hook,  tie a lead about a foot long with a small jig and bait below the blade,  the flash gets their attention and the bait below is what they will go after.

SHOTGUN

Offline mapleleafman3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • This fog's as thick as peanut butter!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Remove the hook,  tie a lead about a foot long with a small jig and bait below the blade,  the flash gets their attention and the bait below is what they will go after.

SHOTGUN

Good tip. I think I'll have to try that out on my next trip out.
Didn't I ever tell you about Bumbles? Bumbles *bounce*!

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:36 PM »
No bait , low light conditions , gold color, on hard breaks. Fairly aggressive jigging about 12” motion very close to bottom. Then rest at least 10 seconds , maybe more , that’s usally when they get bit. The cicadas hook up really well also usally.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.