Author Topic: Finally Finished... Phase One of my Otter Mini Sled Rack.  (Read 69572 times)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Re: Finally Finished... Phase One of my Otter Mini Sled Rack.
« Reply #60 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Thanks BadBack and everyone else.

I'm glad your all ok with me posting these pics.... Like I have said before I know it is getting little over
board.....LOL... But heck i am having fun with it. ( Like they say.... it is little but it knows Kung-Fu...)

Well !! Maybe not Kung-Fu... but it is little.

I have ALREADY got the MASCOT mounted on a seperat holder that can be put on the front when I want it.

If the Camo Duct tape and the wheels never made it seem " Redneck"... This Mascot will ... LOL... Just not sure when to show it on a pic.... LOL

Later all. Thanks again.

AltaIce
      8)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

surflizard

« Reply #61 on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:04 PM »
That isn't usually a problem, You should be good to go Alta, My old Mo has a hex bolt to remove and I unscrew the bit and off it comes. I pulled up the parts schematic on the Mo site and the newer ones just unbolt.  If I'm traveling any distance on the ice, over a mile or more, I put the power head in a milk crate with a bungee [helps to keep it from tipping over if the ice is rough] and we're off and running !
                                                                                                       Surf

P.S. Have you fired it up yet ?  ;D

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #62 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Thanks Surf

I'll look into that for sure then. Just did not know if it was a pain to hook up and keep taking it apart.

8)

Offline oldtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Tight Lines"
« Reply #63 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Hey Alta, I have an 8" Eskimo that I take apart every time I transport it (due to space issues) and have no problem. It takes very little time and have not had any issues with ice build up, one hex screw to it. Not sure what you have for an auger but I don't think you'll have any issues, biggest problem you could have is loosing the alan key for it, lol. Man it'd be awesome to see that thing in action! Cant wait to see the pics of er set up on the ice. Nice work once again

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #64 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:10 AM »
Hey Alta, I have an 8" Eskimo that I take apart every time I transport it (due to space issues) and have no problem. It takes very little time and have not had any issues with ice build up, one hex screw to it. Not sure what you have for an auger but I don't think you'll have any issues, biggest problem you could have is loosing the alan key for it, lol. Man it'd be awesome to see that thing in action! Cant wait to see the pics of er set up on the ice. Nice work once again

Hi "oldtroout"
G' Day
I have a Z71 , 10". "Mo" ..... Have it out of the box and that is it so far. I look at it everyday and , just keep coming up with so many different ways to haul it... ( it is the A.D.H.D in me... LOL... so many thoughts fast but takes awhile to just pick one..LOL)

Thanks to you and Surf for letting me know about the fast change and how easy it is. Yes your right i have thought of the
lost hex key effect.

You and me both are waiting to see it in action..... LOL...
This weekend, I am shopping for a small Gas Jerry Can.. I figure i'll have that mixed in the garage and fill the tank before I go , then have a very small Alum- fuel bottle aboard the Sled.

Later All.. Have a Great day.

8)

Offline icecold#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:28 AM »

Hi "oldtroout"
G' Day
I have a Z71 , 10". "Mo" ..... Have it out of the box and that is it so far. I look at it everyday and , just keep coming up with so many different ways to haul it... ( it is the A.D.H.D in me... LOL... so many thoughts fast but takes awhile to just pick one..LOL)

Thanks to you and Surf for letting me know about the fast change and how easy it is. Yes your right i have thought of the
lost hex key effect.

You and me both are waiting to see it in action..... LOL...
This weekend, I am shopping for a small Gas Jerry Can.. I figure i'll have that mixed in the garage and fill the tank before I go , then have a very small Alum- fuel bottle aboard the Sled.

Later All.. Have a Great day
       8)

Looks like you may have room for the auger between the rods and sled side ways. I remind all of you that you should carry that allen wrench in your tackle box along with a spare plug and wrench, I have many times found that the screw has come loose on me many times with the vibration. As for gas just make sure its full when you leave home, I find I can drill about 100 holes or more on one tank in my mako. Two or three of us go out in any given day, its more than enough fuel. Some times come back with half a tank left. A 1 gallon tank will last me a whole season going out about 10 times.
I'm not stuck, I just like shovelling snow.

Offline oldtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Tight Lines"
« Reply #66 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Excellent point on having extra's!!! I know have spares (one in the vehicle and one in the tackle box) for that very reason, now that you mention the extra bolt I'm gonna grab an extra one of those. Same for me with the fuel Alta, if you go out with the tank on the auger full you'll be fine for the day (for a few I would think).

surflizard

« Reply #67 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Good point guys ! Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it !  ;D

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #68 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Great looking rig!
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 03, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Good point guys ! Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it !  ;D

sounds like something yogi beara would say!!......... ;D ;D
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #70 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Excellent point on having extra's!!! I know have spares (one in the vehicle and one in the tackle box) for that very reason, now that you mention the extra bolt I'm gonna grab an extra one of those. Same for me with the fuel Alta, if you go out with the tank on the auger full you'll be fine for the day (for a few I would think).
Thanks "stoutbait"  (Apparently I can't stop adding to it... LOL ....)

Morning "oldtrout"
Now that I know for sure from you guys that one can take apart and put together the Auger blade easy on the site.
I think your all right and carrying extra tools and bolts is not a bad idea anyways.

But, for myself ... being that I am becoming my father and am (as my wife puts it) becoming a Pack-Rat and natural hoarder and collector/inventor/find something dead and bring it back to life to reuse and then reinvent on a different day kinda guy. ... LOL .... as one I think can tell with all of the stuff I apparently have to have with me on my Ice Fishing Sled.

Hang on ... hang on ... sorry ... still trying to get past the thought of myself turning into my Father.   .... LOL..

Ok.. fine now ... ( breath) ... I was kinda hoping that if I filled the Auger up before I left for the day it should last through the day. But it was hard  and will be hard not to carry extra fuel aboard, as what if w come across someone that needs gas.. I'll have some fuel for them on the ice.
  Which makes me wonder.  I am assuming that might not be a good thing to receive any fuel from anyone else if they have mixed it for there machine. I guess one would not know what they are getting?

Ok.. ok.. Sorry to Blab .... again.
Thanks again all.

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #71 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:38 AM »

... LMBO ...  I have to laugh.. Heck I swear I never talk this much when I am on the Ice!!!! (but do Laugh a lot)
Just can't tell (type) a short story or ask a fast short question apparently either!

and thanks again for all your great advise and experience.

Have a great day all. Hope your all or most of you are on the Ice right now as I type this or driving there.

Take Care
    8)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:59 AM »
That isn't usually a problem, You should be good to go Alta, My old Mo has a hex bolt to remove and I unscrew the bit and off it comes. I pulled up the parts schematic on the Mo site and the newer ones just unbolt.  If I'm traveling any distance on the ice, over a mile or more, I put the power head in a milk crate with a bungee [helps to keep it from tipping over if the ice is rough] and we're off and running !
                                                                                                       Surf

P.S. Have you fired it up yet ?  ;D

The hex bolt is not too bad to remove but I did find it a bit of a pain when I arrive at a spot and I'm usually in such a frenzy I'm tripping over myself.  I ended up losing my hex bolt so I tried a trailor pin last year:

Worked like charm and nothing is faster for taking it off and putting on.  I'm using a 10 inch Stealth STX power auger.

Alta, I think your nuts!   ;)
The amount of work you have put into that I wouldn't recommend pulling it behind a skidoo unless you think everything is battened down really well.  You built it so you should know best on its durability.  One trip last year on rough ice I broke two underwater cameras, a heater and my toque.  Okay, the toque didn't break so much as is was covered in gas and I could never get the stink out.  What a mess that trip was!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #73 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:30 PM »
Ok.
I have got the Stove Propane holder all glued and ready to go... so then all of a sudden I get the BRIGHT
Idea to paint it Florissant Orange.

Ok.... ok... Thought it was a good idea at the time ok.... LOL....

Vote =     "Yes"     To keep it this Florissant Orange    OR     " No" To change it to Black (like the sled)

For some reason I was thinking it could be a Safety devise if i painted it orange.....  and No I was not eating the Glue again!

8)

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #74 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:38 PM »
Leave it Orange,  Lets those snow mobilers and other atv users ripping around the lake where you are.

That and It helps us find you on the ice!!

I like it orange.. just don't paint it Tiger Striped that might be a little :whistle:
 LOL

Just teasing,

I think it looks alright!

~Gone Fishing~

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:59 PM »
 For sure, keep the orange. :thumbsup:

Alta your sled just keeps getting better.

Offline oldtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Tight Lines"
« Reply #76 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Well the orange will at least help draw a little attention to it.............lol, holy AltaIce this thing is amazing! My vote for the orange too, besides being propane service it should be yellow or orange anyway shouldn't it, lol ? Excellent work sir! Excellent!

surflizard

« Reply #77 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:37 AM »
Run with it Alta, that looks Great !

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #78 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:10 AM »
Leave it Orange,  Lets those snow mobilers and other atv users ripping around the lake where you are.

That and It helps us find you on the ice!!

I like it orange.. just don't paint it Tiger Striped that might be a little :whistle:
 LOL

Just teasing,

I think it looks alright!

Hey Anvil

Funny you mention that about being seen on the ice. I thought of the same thing last year while designing this thing.
At a Sporting goods store I picked up a Shakespeare " 20 ft- wonder pole" for about $9.. and was going to use that for a FLAG POLE, so as no one would Run us over... LOL.. they Figured it was way to high, considering the size of the base. So I returned that one and picked up the shorter 13 ft Shakespeare Wonder Pole. ( I have not looked into setting that up as of yet.. Considering also that I have not bought the Ice-Shanty Flag yet either....

And IceAnvil, I'm really not big yet on the Orange. I never thought it would be so bright. Everything I own is black ..LOL..

As far as the stripes.... Nope... was and am not aiming for the :whistle: effect .... LOL.... LOL.. But thanks for asking... I think??  LOL.

Yesterday morning after talking with "Surf" and a couple others in the Eskimo thread.. I took some of there advise and worked on a holder for the Ice Auger Mount.. ( Auger in two pieces at this time for transport until I get thinking it takes to long to set the Auger up on site.)  (I'll try to post the pic's of what I have for that Auger holder at this point.) I still have to fine tune it though.

Later

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #79 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:35 AM »

Alta, I think your nuts!   ;)
The amount of work you have put into that I wouldn't recommend pulling it behind a skidoo unless you think everything is battened down really well.  You built it so you should know best on its durability.  One trip last year on rough ice I broke two underwater cameras, a heater and my toque.  Okay, the toque didn't break so much as is was covered in gas and I could never get the stink out.  What a mess that trip was!
Hey Snapfisher
.... Well.. heck you would not be the first to think I was a little nut's ... LOL ...  I have said all my life that " I am not insane yet.... Just a little Crazy"
  Sorry to hear about your Toque though, Ya gotta hate that eh, when a good Toque passes away before its prime.

As far as the whole thing ( Ice Sled RCK) falling apart from being pulled by a Snowmobile or ATV, no problem there so far.
I don't own either as of yet. And brother if I did own a Snowmobile.. you would have to know by now that I would be pulling a much BIGGER Sled than the mini.... LOL ...
My wife had to laugh after I showed your post to her... as she said the same thing.. She said " lord help us all if you had a bigger sled... it would have two stories a bath room and six rooms for fishing"...

As far as the strength of it, Since i know ( For now ) I knew that I would e pulling by hand only. I still build it with ( as you said) with major strength in mind as the Picture next shows that I placed inside the 3'4" PVC  a Kinda of Alum/pot metal pipe used for a sign display about 5/8" in diameter , so it would have that strength you mention.. The inner pipe is in every length of PVC that is over the length of 4" .. and placed in side so that each pipe supported the other crossing pipe above it.

After I had it all glued and together and before I painted it, I crawled up on to it and stood on it.. and bounced up and down very gentle.. and nothing gave (So far anyways.. not saying it won't all fall to part down the road.)
  Heck the funny part was when I tried to get down off of the thing... LOL ... My LEGS or body doesn't move like they used to.
Hence as I have said before... besides some more Organization of my stuff I needed to haul TWO full size chairs and the fact that I can barely get up of the ice if I kneel down .... LOL ... That is funny to watch as well....

after I got started on this project it just  kinda went from there, as soon as I stuck the Camo Duct tape on it.. I ran with the " Redneck" thang.. LOL

If you think I'm NUTS now... wait until you see the Removable " Mascot" I might being hanging off the front of this thing... LOL ...

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #80 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:42 AM »
Hi " Snapfisher"
Not sure how i'll set it up this year but a test load from last years pics. hope, it shows that most of everything is secured well as well as everything being tied in place the pics don't show one of those Cargo nets in place that you find in the back of aSUV holding all the boxes down in the sled.

In this pic of the sled cover , if you look close you can just see the Cargo net, I was speaking about.

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #81 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:52 AM »
For sure, keep the orange. :thumbsup:

Alta your sled just keeps getting better.
Well " IcePack'
 ... LOL ... I'm not sure about it getting better!!... BUt I must say it is for sure different.... LOL... LOL...

I was wondering if you knew of a couple of sherpas I could call..  I keep hoping this thing slides as easy as it did last year or
I will be looking for a new snowmobile... then possibly a new Wife.. LOL... Sure gonna miss my wife....  He , he, He,

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #82 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:08 AM »
Hey " OldTrout"    ...  G'd day Sir ...
I'm in the same boat as you as far as space issues and transport etc. So I took yours and "SurfLizzards" thoughts and I kinda for now came up with this fast fix for a Auger Mount for now.

Not painted yet.

For now it is sitting on and into a old (parts missing) boat seat mount, that I bought for $5.66 in the Sale bin.

I figured out though!! That if and when I also carry my Ice Tent in the rack just below the Auger mount.... I will have to have the Auger possibly in a way different place.

8)

Offline oldtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Tight Lines"
« Reply #83 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:43 AM »
You certainly don't waist any time, that sled must be in the garage calling out to ya,lol. Looks great, curious about the time it takes to get set up and pack it all back ? If you forget the instructions, lol, I'm guessing a couple hours for each, lol?

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Nice work Alta!  That is indeed well thought out and looks tough.  The trip I had was unusually rough ice on Cold Lake.  I'm pretty sure your "house" would hold up to some pretty tough conditions. 

I would never have the patience you have.  I can hardly take the the time to even pack half-...you know what.  I set up quick fish like mad and then onto the next spot if nothing comes within 10 minutes.  It is like someone has lit a fire under my...you know what, and I can't stop!

Let's imagine then you come along, setup, start the barbeque, smell of burgers wafting..., relaxing in chair..., coffee and baileys in hand, life just drifts on by...  ;)

Cheers!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #85 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:10 AM »
You certainly don't waist any time, that sled must be in the garage calling out to ya,lol. Looks great, curious about the time it takes to get set up and pack it all back ? If you forget the instructions, lol, I'm guessing a couple hours for each, lol?

Hey Old T.
    I hear you about the set and repack it up again. Last year with what I was hauling at the time I timed it in my head and compared it to the days when I had the same amount of stuff I used to haul with only the bare sled ( No rack) and all though bungee cords and everything ( including full size chairs) and if you include also the Pain I fought in my legs as I had to keep kneeling down and then trying to get up again. The rack does seem like it would be that much slower to load up.

I found that the rack made it faster to get at stuff and remove it and work in my tackle box etc, as the tackle box sat on top as I stood up not kneeling down on the hard ice.

Now I have too as well as others have to keep in mind that it is and will always be a volume thing... The time thing is in line with what I haul, as it would be for anyone.

People that have known me for years it it is me.. my thing where inside my head I feel that more at times must be way better. ( and I also think about the body comfort idea now also)

Your right I am way slower in set up and packing up as compared to most of the world...  LOL ..
but I am ok with that.. With my Whole A.D.H.D. thang and before the meds they gave me to slow down my brain...  always used those set and take down times as a mind to body things to take my time and train myself to go slow... slow down.. and I guess for some strange way... the more crap i have and if t takes a thought full process to get everything together, in a way it is making me slow down.

ALL my friends from years ago ... just know to let me know in advance what time we will be packing up.... or if they don't... your right they will have to stand around and kick the dirt or snow while they wait for me .... LOL ...

So .... LONG story short your so right bro.  There will always be a set up and take down time issue with me.
 keep in mind also.. or i am trying to there will only be certain times when i take everything at once. ( like the stove, tent, etc.)
Dang it... just can't tell a short story (nor type one apparently).. LOL .... sorry dude.  LOL.

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #86 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Nice work Alta!  That is indeed well thought out and looks tough.  The trip I had was unusually rough ice on Cold Lake.  I'm pretty sure your "house" would hold up to some pretty tough conditions.  

I would never have the patience you have.  I can hardly take the the time to even pack half-...you know what.  I set up quick fish like mad and then onto the next spot if nothing comes within 10 minutes.  It is like someone has lit a fire under my...you know what, and I can't stop!

Let's imagine then you come along, setup, start the barbeque, smell of burgers wafting..., relaxing in chair..., coffee and baileys in hand, life just drifts on by...  ;)

Cheers!

Hi Snap

Thanks... you just made me think of why I like, enjoy, love Ice Fishing so much... it is in a way that .... yes your right it can be used a a slow down method.. let life drift by kinda day.. My life and everything I do and have done in the past always seemed to work on a fast time limit idea.... which don't get me wrong.. I do believe that every job must be done as a professional and in a timely manner.

BUT!! with this thing called ice fishing.  It allows me to set up and then to sow down and relax.. also gives me a huge to to challenge the fact that I HATE the COLD!!!! and  I am not one anymore that will let things beat me down ... LOL ....  

( Standing on my chair, man chest pumped out, Yelling !!)  I will not let the Cold win.... LOL .... ((Now is that a bad picture to have in your mind or what, Eh??)

Holy crap .. I just realized I better get out of the house more often....  Heck maybe I am nuts... LOL .. life was not made to stay boring.... was it?

8)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #87 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:45 PM »
Hey all
Tested my Propane Bottle holder today. It holds three full bottles with the white lid in place and two full bottles when I have the single burner on top and the white cap on it to hold it in place with bungee cords.

It is a S/S Styrofoam Water cup dispenser. It holds three of the small tanks perfect and gets them up out of the way.

I got board and modified (cut down) Plastic Oar stop holder and screwed it in place, so I can slide a Wonder rod inside it
and there.... I have my new Flag Pole set up...  LOL ... ( just have to buy the Flag now.)

8)

surflizard

« Reply #88 on: Dec 05, 2010, 03:16 PM »
You give the words ' Ice Fishing Sled Modifications " a Whole new meaning Alta, Fantastic Job !!  :thumbsup:

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #89 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Thanks Surf.

I am just trying having fun with it.  LOL ...  And also if I don't start using up some of the stuff I have in my basement work room. I'll have to clean out my room..... LOL ...
GEEZE !! and to think it all started with Camo duct tape and some PVC pipe.

I am still the one that has to lift this THING in to the back of my SUV still, so I keep finding myself saying " Only time will tell"... 
    8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.