Author Topic: 2 man portable shanties  (Read 4120 times)

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
2 man portable shanties
« on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:16 AM »
I am looking for a flip over 2 man and I would like the opinion from those of you who have had success or been burned as to which models I should narrow down to. Thanks guys.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2 man portable shanties
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:30 AM »
  LOTS of good ones out there.....(Different strokes for different folks!)....I would suggest that you try to see as many as possible/sit in them/ inspect & decide......Happy hunting,  Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2009, 09:02 AM »
It seems like just about any brand nowadays has it's benefits and downfalls, you're best bet (like Double-L suggested) is to check as many out in store, sit in the demo models, look at the construction, especially the zippers, and pick the one that fits your fishing style and budget. I just bought the 1 man Clam Fish Trap Pro and am really impressed with the quality, but hear lots of good things about the Eskimo and Frabil units as well.

Good Luck  :tipup:
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Scuba09D8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2009, 11:02 AM »
I'm buying a Clam I looked at one this year just waiting for the ice to come, I did fish in an Eskimo 4 man last year and was really impressed put it was pricey of what my buddy told me.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:09 PM »
I've sat in them all at least the ones at Bass pro , Wholesale and the Fishing hole. I was most impressed by the eskimo and the HTH. It's one thing to sit in them at the store but it's way better to hear from those of you who have actually used them to hear the good and bad of them. Thanks for the responses. Hope everyone has a safe and productive season.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Currently have Eskimo 1 man, Eskimo 2 Man, and recent addition, Clam 2 man Nanook.
IMO the downfall to the Eskimo and Clam is that they small seats. Find them uncomfortable for extended periods of time. Myself, I have made modifications to make them more comfortable. I've taken out the seats on the Eskimo 1 Man and the Clam Nanook and replaced them with Boat seats. The Eskimo 2 Man has a bench in it so I left that alone.
Clam did make revisions to their new line and made RPS clips. These attach on to the poles and simple push on it, pushes the locking button down to retract poles. Much easier now with cold fingers or gloves on.
With the Thermal versions, now it retain heat much better therefore using less heat. In addition there is to be little or no condensation on the Tent walls. Clam took out the Trap link door and added in the Back D door to their units which was the feature that attracted me. When I installed Boat seats into the Nanook, I had to unfasten the bolts from the Seat platform to the sled. Now I can position of the seats to where I like or go with just one seat in the Unit. In addition to that, I added in Runners and hardware for Hitches in the front and rear of the sled. The front hitch would be hooked on to my quad and rear can hook on to another Sled for towing. Here's some pics:
With very comfy Boat seats

Front view with Hitch hardware and Runners

Rear view with back Hitch

Good luck with your choice. Lots to choose from

Offline sidefinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Hey Guys,
How about the ice hubs? They are lower in price. I was looking at a 4 person hub and it was only $180.00.
I don't know what to buy  ???.  The portable shanties are convenient, and I'm sure that the hubs are a pain in the a** to set up.
Anybody else have a ice hub? What would be the best way to go???

Offline Rumtan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2009, 09:47 PM »
The wife bought me a 3-4 man tent from Costco last year,  it goes up in seconds and has a ton of windows if you need em.  I really like it and havent used the 2 man (thats been sitting in my driveway waiting for someone to steal) since i got the new one.  One thing I could add that is a bonus about this tent is that I usually take my quad when we go out icefishing.  Once it was a touch colder than when we normally go ( -35c )and my quad froze on the back of the truck so we put the tent over the quad and added a heater and in less then 1/2 hour the quad started and we were out fishing.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2009, 02:29 PM »
The wife bought me a 3-4 man tent from Costco last year,  it goes up in seconds and has a ton of windows if you need em.  I really like it and havent used the 2 man (thats been sitting in my driveway waiting for someone to steal) since i got the new one.  One thing I could add that is a bonus about this tent is that I usually take my quad when we go out icefishing.  Once it was a touch colder than when we normally go ( -35c )and my quad froze on the back of the truck so we put the tent over the quad and added a heater and in less then 1/2 hour the quad started and we were out fishing.
that two man you have sitting around... still there? interested in getting rid of it?
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Ive had my eskimo quikflip 2 for the last 5 years and I love it. The bench seat isnt super comfortable for more than about 4 hours of straight sitting but that doesnt happen to often so its not a problem. I like the bench seat because I can put my rods and vexilar on it when im moving from hole to hole. I never use the door in it but the zippers are good. I put the back pole in when im fishing so I can use it as a windbreak at 'half mast' i call it. The one side window cracked on me 2 years ago but thats no big deal really. Im have a very active fishing style so I just leave the tent at half mast because I take off after tip ups often and move around alot. It has room for alot of stuff which I like and it has alot of room when its flipped over. If I use a 32 inch rod I still have room to maneuver. I use it as a 1 man, its my home base when im on the ice. With all my gear in it it probably weighs 150 or so pounds. Any of the options out there will take up the bulk of your truck bed so be prepared for that. The sled is holding up pretty good after the years, might throw some runners on it to prolong its life a little more but so far i havent ripped it (tough fabric). Last sort of negative about it is the frame has small snap buttons which can be hard to push in to take the tent down when your fingers have no feeling. I like it as an option. I can set it up in about 20 seconds and it is a great tent. I would buy another eskimo tent..

Offline Rumtan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:17 AM »
The thought of it leaving my driveway is a very good idea.......let me know when your out and about and want to see it.

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Last sort of negative about it is the frame has small snap buttons which can be hard to push in to take the tent down when your fingers have no feeling. I like it as an option. I can set it up in about 20 seconds and it is a great tent. I would buy another eskimo tent..
I've got an Eskimo Quik Flip 2 also. Clam made it easier for their models using the RPS Push Button Clips. Can't see why a person can't adapt them on to the poles on the Eskimo. I was referred by Clam Corp to a company out of Minnesota that ships to Canada( some places won't ship to Canada?)
Here's a link with pics for the RPS Push Button Clips:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/ice-fishing.aspx?c=93&p=2&ipp=48&ra=false

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:33 PM »
1 1/4" RPS System from Sportsmans Guide:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/clam-rps-1-1-4-push-button-kit.aspx?a=575954

7/8" RPS System from Sportsmans Guide:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/clam-rps-7-8-push-button-kit.aspx?a=575953

I added the 7/8" ones to our Clam Fish Trap Yukon.  You need to tape them down to keep them from moving, or drill the poles so the tab will hold them in place.  I used black electrical tape.  As soon as we get some %#$&@* ice around here I'll let you know how they do.  I know in the garage they work very well!!  :)

-Jeff

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2009, 10:29 PM »
I'm going to get a set of those on order here right away, my Pro already bit me once and took a nice chunk out of my one finger when I was trying it out in my living room.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2009, 10:37 PM »
I'm going to get a set of those on order here right away, my Pro already bit me once and took a nice chunk out of my one finger when I was trying it out in my living room.

You should try depressing those buttons with frozen fingers!  Ouch!!

-Jeff

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:36 PM »
1 1/4" RPS System from Sportsmans Guide:

I added the 7/8" ones to our Clam Fish Trap Yukon.  You need to tape them down to keep them from moving, or drill the poles so the tab will hold them in place.  I used black electrical tape.  As soon as we get some %#$&@* ice around here I'll let you know how they do.  I know in the garage they work very well!!  :)

-Jeff

Didn't the Yukon already come with RPS ? Set up buddies Thermal Yukon last weekend and it came with clips. Did my Nanook the week prior and it also had clips.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.