Author Topic: Aerator placement  (Read 301 times)

Offline FishinIsLife

• Team IceShanty Regular
Aerator placement
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Where does everyone put their portable aerator while traveling with minnows? I have a frabill sit n fish bucket and flip the inner Styrofoam lid upside down so sloshing water doesn't freeze it in place then or the aerator on to of that and close the plastic pail lid on top.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Aerator placement
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:38 PM »
I gave up on bubbles. I feel like it kept my bait always swimming and tired them out. I now use a small air powered filter. Its what Walmart sells. Hose goes from aerator to bottom of filter. Seems to work better for me in the 5 gallon bucket

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:54 AM »
I use the mr. bubbles from walmart also. works great.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Where does everyone put their portable aerator while traveling with minnows? I have a frabill sit n fish bucket and flip the inner Styrofoam lid upside down so sloshing water doesn't freeze it in place then or the aerator on to of that and close the plastic pail lid on top.
There's no need for an aerator in the winter if you're in an area of the country cold enough to ice fish.

Minnows will live a long, long time in unaerated water kept near freezing. When you definitely need an aerator is in the summer when it gets hot, but not with very cold water. I can keep minnows alive almost all summer in a 5 gallon bucket with two frozen Gatorade bottles switched out at night and when I leave for work in the morning. Leave the dead ones in there for food and change the water every couple days.

Long story short, don't mess with an aerator in the winter. Just keep them cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.