Author Topic: Most Trout Caught In A Day/ Large Fish  (Read 12569 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Most Trout Caught In A Day/ Large Fish
« on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:18 PM »
We are always talking about catching trout, now its time for some stories!!

Me, I've caught up to about 150 rainbows in one day, usually averaging 13 inchies, but I have caught some larger ones up to about 23.

I've got up to 21 Lakers in a day,  :-[ not that great, I know, but I've only been fishing for them a few years, and I average about 13. (Most are about 20 inchies)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re:Most Trout Caught In A Day/ Large Fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:42 PM »
15 lakers all over 27 inches, have not seen it happen since, the big boys just wanted to play that day...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline bandan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:09 PM »
most i have caught in half a day is 7 browns all over 13 in it was a good day and i missed a few

mooseslayer

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2004, 11:46 PM »
BEEN FISHING WITH BRO. FOR LAST THREE DAYS.CAUGHT 10 LAKERS FROM 26IN. TO 19IN.,17 BROOKIES FROM 18IN TO 10IN., AND 14 DOZ. SMELTS.GONNA BE A GOOD SEASON!

daves

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2004, 06:48 PM »
fished a tournamemt at highland lake, ct. my now wife jigged up 12+ rainbows to 13" in 45mins., 500ft. off the boat launch, heading toward 2nd bay. sewdish pimp and mealworm. put a couple mealworms on the tips, but they wouldn't set off the flag, it would just quiver a little. no luck winning tourney.

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2004, 06:13 PM »
 Two days come to mind, a day on Bear Lake in Kalkaska Co,Mi and one on Lake Charlovoix, also in Mi.The Bear Lake outing was with my daughter 10 years old at the time,2 of her friends,and my mom and dad,six anglers.I managed to get the gang there limit of brown trout. Action was so fast and furious I never got a chance to put my line in the water.Man I had alot of fish to clean.The price we pay for success.Now I`ve told this story a thousand times , not many believe me, unless the other two guys in our group are there to verify.One morning in the middle of march,our surveying crew went pre-dawn laker fishing.Over 100 fow in the main basin of Lake Charlovoix.We were fishing with salmon eggs that we cooked in cherry jello.Using #18 trebble`s an egg on each of the barbs,slip sinker,slip bobber rig.Now we 3 ended up catching 63 lake trout from 4-14lb`s ... That was the best day of fishing I have ever had. All released except for our limits.WOW! Its been 15 years and seems like yesterday. Thanks guy for the post.Great memories and glad I could share :'(

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Once my older brother and I caught over 50 dolly varden and arctic char one day.  Could've got more but was getting late, still could on this lake!

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:05 PM »
most trout ive caught in a day was on cape cod and i alone caught atleast 75(rainbows/brookies) that was sum great fishing but the fish tasted horrible!!!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline hunter5156

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2004, 04:12 PM »
what are u guys using for the rainbows? I use shinners but they dont do so well.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2004, 05:27 PM »
Lol man im hurting .Most lakers iv'e caught in a day ice fishing is 3 lol And brookies on ice 2.LOl never  caught anything in trout othere then those. SOrry guys i guess its juts my luck!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

mooseslayer

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2004, 11:53 PM »
WENT TO EAGLE 2 DAYS AGO. BROUGHT HOME 2LAKERS 7LB. 27IN.EA. + 2SALMON,24IN+18IN. RELEASED 7  LAKERS ABOUT 6LBS. EA. AND 2 4LB. LAKERS. BEST IVE EVER DONE FOR BIG FISH IN ONE SPOT!

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2004, 01:08 PM »
thru open water i use powerbait for trout but thru the ice, i catch em on shiners about 2-3in long. thru the ice, most lakers ive caught in a day was 4(biggest about 24in) and 3 brookies(kept 2 for the frying pan and let the other go)
Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2004, 11:19 PM »
for rainbows and brookies and browns i like small orange shrimpos tipped with a waxworm fished between 15-30 ft of water. I slam 'em
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

raleigh

Re: Most Trout Caught In A Day/ Large Fish
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2004, 03:30 PM »
The most trout i have caught in a day is somewhere around 100 to 110. They where all brookies in the 8 to 13 inch range. I caught them on small bead head flys. The biggest trout i caught last year was a 27in splake trout. He was 9 1/2 pounds.

raleigh

« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2004, 03:33 PM »
And icefishingbear, You being from the same area as me you probley know what lake on the mesa i caught all the brookies at.

mooseslayer

« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2004, 02:19 AM »
ME AND A FRIEND GOT  4 LAKERS + A SALMON YESTERDAY. ONE WALLHANGER AT 12LBS.  32IN. ,1  25IN.  5LBS. ,AND 2  24IN 4LBS. ,1 20IN. SALMON. NOT BAD DAY!!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2004, 08:10 PM »
Alright decided to bring this back up. I am going for a 20 lber laker this year! I know just the lake to do it at! The record is being broken every month with the standing one 46-15

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2004, 10:48 PM »
2 weeks ago I was at Stony Rapids in northern saskatchewan 3 of us caught 26 lake trout in about an hour and a half our limit up here is 4 per person so we were selective in the ones we kept all about 29 inches a couple bigger they were running the rapids to spawn still tasted fine some had already started to turn orange on the fins

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2004, 11:02 PM »
on sept 2 2004 a couple of us caught close to 100 trout, splake, rainbows, browns, and brookies all from 14"to 20".
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2004, 07:47 PM »
Well, my first two trips icefishing for rainbows this year was great!
First trip: 10 rainbows. all except 1 or 2 were from 2-almost 4 lbs.

Second trip: (yesterday) 8 rainbows. 3 of them were 4-4.5 lbs. 2 were 3 lbs,1  was 2 lbs, and 1 was a 13" dink that if generously rounded was a pound. I also had 2 fish that felt really big snap me off. I caught 2 of the 4 lbers on consecutive drops, and in the drop before I caught those two in the same hole, I had a huge one snap me off.

Definitely some reat fishing for big rainbow trout this year!!!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2004, 10:34 PM »
My first trip of the winter and first time seriously targetting trout was a stocked pond - by my count got 4 brookies and 4 rainbows...Scuba was sure I got more...he got a couple as well.  Biggest was 13".  My avatar is currently the first brookie - my first trout ever.  Most were deadsticked with half a minnow on a small tube jig.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2004, 11:15 PM »
Are you talking a 24 hr period cause I fish them at night as well. I have caught a few 12lb rainbows. Going to a lake that has 18lb lunker bows if I have time this year. Have to travel all day to get there by snowmachine. Did go to a remote lake 2 yrs ago, caught & released over 200 small 8-14inch rainbows in an 8 hr period, from one hole. Did keep a couple that were badly hooked.
Lakers: Was in a derby and caught and released (cause rainbows were the only fish that counted) about 25 lakers (11hrs) rangeing from 5lbs to 21lbs. Lake was cold and they were up at the surface as well as the bows.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2004, 06:58 AM »
I would kill for a 18lbs Bow!
Anthony

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:34 AM »
Careful how you say that Black-phoenix. We did almost get killed getting in there once. Have to cross many creeks that never freeze solidly. One no longer buddy had too much to drink and ended up in the drink in 4 ft of water so we had to get him out. Wouldn't go the way we went. Thought he knew it all. He no longer comes nor does anyone that drinks along the way. When you get there drink your face off if you want. But when you get into some hairy places, you need to be thinking clearly when you are traversing some mountain ledges.

NAD42

« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:22 PM »
 28+ lakers in about 6 hours or so last year may have been my best ice fishing day, had a few of them in that range....grandpa jack got around 10 on his first trip, which included a 29''er..tops for the day...as for open water...lots of brookies, years ago.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:37 PM »
I would kill for a 18lbs Bow!

I hooked one about 20 lbs. at least this jan. in open water fishing the colorado river. It broke my line. I've never seen one that big in my life and probably never will again. Pure rainbow at least... seen cuttbows all the time that big.

This guy named ken gallegos lives in the same city I do and he fishes the blue river, taylor, and fryingpan rivers, and he has caught so many 20+ pound trout it's ridiculous. I wish I could show some pics of some of his fish... they are truly amazing!

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2004, 08:17 AM »
500 Lake Trout, all over 20 pounds. 200 Brook Trout, none under 10 pounds. Yeah, yeah, that's it ;D ;D ;D. Do fishermen tend to exaggerate a little ???

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2004, 03:52 PM »
500 Lake Trout, all over 20 pounds. 200 Brook Trout, none under 10 pounds. Yeah, yeah, that's it ;D ;D ;D. Do fishermen tend to exaggerate a little ???

NNNOOOOOOOOO, never any embelishing of our outings.  The term "Fish Story" must have come from all of the other fishermen on Earth, clearly not from the IS/MFF members.  Did I tell you about my 600 pound crappie?
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:03 PM »
Must have been hell trying to flush that beast!
Anthony

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:47 PM »
through the ice 2 years ago on the big G icaught 31 lakers mostly under sized and 1 ll salmon that i had mounted 26 inches 8 lber . open water afriend and myself caught 145 brookies afew browns and rainbows mixed in the bag .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.