Author Topic: premade flyfishing leaders  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
premade flyfishing leaders
« on: Dec 14, 2003, 07:59 PM »
has anyone one tried premade flyfishing leaders for leaders on tipups???
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:premade flyfishing leaders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2003, 10:39 PM »
No, but as a fly fisherman I can tell you that you'll pay through the nose for them. If you want to fish light for panfish, you could buy tippet spools( 30 yds. is typical) and use that as your terminal gear. Just use caution, the thinner diameter to # test you get also = less abrasion resistance on the edge of your hole. Be careful with the last 3-4', or whatever you choose for length.

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2003, 07:31 AM »
thanx van. yesterday my buddy and i went fishing and i iced a brown(about12 1/2in) and used remington 4lb test and a size 16 so maybe i might start tryin that on all my tipups
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2003, 10:03 AM »
4# mono is what I usually use in Pa. You can land a substantial fish with that if you're patient. The largest fish I landed with 4# was a fat 27" laker in CO. That was on a jigging rod, and she barely fit through the hole! Was amused by the slot limit at the time;under 18'',or over 30''.She went back; but I remember thinking,"how do you get a 30"(or larger) fish through the hole?''

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2004, 09:47 AM »
There is no much sence to use tapered leaders for ice fishing.
But using tippet material as mentioned by Van_Cleaver does
make sence. Usually it is substantially thinner for # test
than your regular line and you can use lighter lures.  

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2004, 02:50 PM »
I use my old fly fishing leaders on a couple of tip ups... As mentioned before there not cheap, plus I just figure why throw a good six foot peice of strong clear line...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2004, 12:25 AM »
To get that finer tip you are looking for do what those guys said about picking up some tippet material. It is cheaper than tapered leaders. You should also be able  to get away with attaching your 4lb mono to a piece of 2lb. mono and lets say a piece of 4X or 5X tippet. This should be close enough for ice fishing.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.