Author Topic: X-Gravel Pit Lake  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Icepants2

• IceShanty Rookie
X-Gravel Pit Lake
« on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:09 AM »
Hi All, I have my fav. trout lake where I have the Rainbows pretty much dialed in. I check into a new lake yester with my open water rods and didn't expect to see ice! Lucky I had my ice gear in the truck and sit up a small spread. In my pet lake I fish off the weed beds in about 8ft of water which is about about 50 paces offshore. The new spot is an ex-gravel pit and a foot offshore I'm standing in 15-20 feet of water! The max depht of this pit is about 60'. How would fish this? Should I still fish off the shoreline even if I'm water that's deeper than I want or should fish more offshore? Boy I hate being taken out of my comfort zone!

Thanks - Ice

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
Re: X-Gravel Pit Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:38 AM »
Trout are nomadic and imo can be found everywhere in a lake unlike other fish that stay close to structure. I also catch more trout when my bait is suspended more than just a foot off the bottom.
Come on fish!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:36 PM »
15-20 ft is a perfect place to start. Fish that 15 ft, spend some time jigging there and if no action, then fish up a crank at a time. If you're just dead sticking go 10-12ft under the ice. Whatever depth you find fish should be the same whether fishing over 20 ft or 60.... Good luck!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:20 PM »
trout in lakes and ponds like to cruise, they never hold in a spot like bluegills or bass would. in Idaho we're allowed 5 lines, so i like to set  them in a straight line perpendicular to shore. if there are any points, start there. cruising fish will have to go around the end of the point to get past it. pay attention to which lines are getting hit the most and concentrate your efforts there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.