Author Topic: need help  (Read 969 times)

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
need help
« on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:27 PM »
I have spent very little time targeting trout on open water and have not made it out to try for them on the ice (love walleye fishing too much). But I am headin up north where we go fishing all the time and I am making it a special trip just for trout. The smallest lake we are going to try is 2ha in size and 45ft deep  to bodies of water 80ha in size and only 40ft deep. There are tiger, slpake, brown, rainbow, brook and lakers here. What depths and techniques would be best during mid march for each species. Just a tip in the right direction don't need no secrets

FRESHBAIT

Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:13 AM »
Brookies go shallow over sandy/gravel bottoms.   From 1' to 12',  Fish with a small minnow 1.5"-2.5".   In real shallow water 1-3' put your bait just under the ice,  Kinda split the differance and fish in the middle.  from 4'-12' I like to fish about 2' off the bottom.   #6 octopus hook.

Browns I have a harder time to catch, but find them in 20-40' of water and fish for them about midway down in the water column.

Lakers-  try going deep,  and use a good ole sucker smashed up a bit

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: need help
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:33 PM »
At a reservoir I fish often I'm targeting rainbows for the most part.It's only 3,300 acres and just over 100' deep in the river channel at the spillway.I've been fishing between 5' and 10' and doing
well.Target areas that may have creeks entering the lake or drop-offs. Weed beds are good but you don't necessarily want to fish in thick cover because the trout are less apt to see your presentation.
If you have thick ice, a lot of snow,and not much water flowing in and out,the oxygen levels could be low this time of year and the fish will tend to be less aggressive. For me small lures tend to work best.Be willing to change lures and colors often if a particular lure isn't working.If the water is clear the larger trout can be line shy so 4lb. to 6lb. fluorocarbon is a good choice. Just can't horse them in.
Also if you're not seeing many fish be mobile.Moving 9' or 3 meters can make a big difference in what you may catch.Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.