Author Topic: Fishing by the charts  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing by the charts
« on: Feb 01, 2005, 04:53 AM »
Does anyone keep track of the accuracy of the solunar tables with respect to their fishing results...or the effect of the times of the month near a full moon.  I hear lots of bad reports on fishing on a full moon, just curious what any of you think.  What about barometric pressure...how have you found that affects your bite?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing by the charts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2005, 04:14 PM »
I believe the Barometric Pressure thing has validity to it. I personally think the Solunar Tables probably make a difference but it is almost negligable in my mind. But that's just my opinion, this could be a very debatable subject... :wacko:

Offline sport masterson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ceritifed in C.P.R - Catch Photo Release
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2005, 06:47 PM »
hey poorboy,

i have not heard a good thing about fishiing during a full moon either.  regardiing the solunar tables though, an older fella' from my church would swear by them.  he'd always fish during the "peak times" and did very well.  i don't follow them myself, but i would figure if they'te gonig by moon phases it could very welll have some validity to it.

tightlines

sport

The Green Hornet has caught more fish than you've lied about.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2005, 01:06 AM »
I have come to believe that Barometric Pressure is definetely a factor in determining if fish are active, nuetral or negative. I also have come to believe that moon phases usually only effect when fish feed rather than how they feed. Different species of fish react differently to light levels which the moon will change kinda like the difference between a bright or cloudy day. Anybody feel the same or disagree entirely?

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2005, 09:13 PM »
New moon=evil >:(
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2005, 09:32 PM »

Offline Madbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2005, 06:18 AM »
barometric pressure does seem to have a affect on fishing in your guys experience when is the best time to fish before,during or after a front. With me up to 48  hours before a storm hit is the best and the bigger the storm the better.After can be good to but not like before.Not to say you cant catch fish during a storm but that seems to be the least likely time at least in my opinion.moon phases if im going out I might check them but i have been skunked on the best days and did well on the poor days. ???
MADBOMBER ><))))))))))))))(*>

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2005, 10:46 AM »
New moon=evil >:(
I agree...

Do you mean new moon...or full moon?  Which is bad?  How much moonlight can penetrate 24" of ice?  I just had a week off with the full moon in the middle and caught very little.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2005, 07:34 PM »
I also have poor luck fishing near full moon. New moon not as bad as full.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2005, 06:43 PM »
the barometric pressure seems to completely control the fish i catch (especially the predator fish)...steady or rising pressure is good, dropping pressure is bad  (which seems to go directly against contemporary wisdom and writing)

dropping pressure seems to be good for a quick feeding spree, but not the day long steady bite i get during a nice big high pressure system

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2005, 07:16 PM »
the barometric pressure seems to completely control the fish i catch (especially the predator fish)...steady or rising pressure is good, dropping pressure is bad  (which seems to go directly against contemporary wisdom and writing)

dropping pressure seems to be good for a quick feeding spree, but not the day long steady bite like i get during a nice big high pressure system
Exactly. The best fishing for lakers and other fish I suppose, is with nice, clear, calm weather that goes on for atleast a few days. Storms are not good, they screw everything up if you ask me.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2005, 04:24 PM »
I don't doubt the validity of solunar charts; but have you guys noticed how few good days are listed? If you planned your trips around them you wouldn't get much ice time. The current 15 day chart shows three days between fair and good and 12 days between just under poor to fair. I looked at an older chart and it was even worse. The best day to fish is any time you can. This Thurs. is the best choice on the charts, it almost rates a good, so if you can, have at em!

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2005, 06:15 PM »
Yeah, VC...I would never stay home based on a bad forecast, have to go when I can.  Just trying to get a feel for some general rules of thumb, and as you can see, the theories are all over the place. Seems like nothing ever holds true consistently for me except IF YOU STAY HOME YOU WILL NOT CATCH ANYTHING!!!!!  That is irrefutable.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Heard that! As I tell my brother when it's slow,"Can't catch em from the Lazy Boy." Trying to get out on Sun., which happens to be the worst day on the 15 day chart. The next poorest was last Sun. and I still lucked into a nice evening bite then. If I get the go ahead from the spousal unit, I'll do my best to prove the tables wrong.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:44 PM »
did terrible fishing during the day on a full moon night, but if you fish at night the action can be good. low pressure always has produced fish for me. a light steady snow is ideal for fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.