Author Topic: Fish Oil on Line  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish Oil on Line
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:43 PM »
I was adding some spinner blades to my tip ups last night and decided to try omega 3 fish oil tabs, to stop line freeze and add some scent to the water. I use polar and windlass tip ups. I just poked a hole in the tab with a hook and put the drops of oil around the spool (WEAR GLOVES). It will be a few days before I can test them, but it seems like it would work. It is oil and really stinks like fish. My old lady noticed the smell right away and made me put them in another room.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline haresear

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fish Oil on Line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:48 PM »
That sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it works.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:54 PM »
That has to smell. So every time you pull your line up you get that crap on your hands or gloves?  :sick:

WS

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:57 PM »
The smell does fade with time, but if I have to pull my lines up more often, I'm OK with that. We'll see how it all pans out, maybe I'll wear my neoprene gloves that just sit around not being used for anything.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:31 AM »
I smell that crap every time I take them and burp :sick:
Gator Nation

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:43 AM »
Freezing them helps meaning store them in the freezer until you take one. I'm told there are some that you do not taste even if you burp. Yes it is a nasty taste!

Offline headhunter67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Hey Yooper77....how did it work out?

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Too much stuff going on, I haven't tried them yet. Been going for whitefish lately, let you know in the next day or 2 hopefully.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:25 PM »
I did it for line freeze up after it is wet and lays on the ice, plus the added scent, not because of line freeze up. If I ever get back on the ice, and it works and I pull up a lot of fish, I will not be the only person doing it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.