Author Topic: sucker proof tipups  (Read 931 times)

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
sucker proof tipups
« on: Feb 13, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Not sure if this has been done yet but i thought i would post this setup i recently learned about.
So i was talking with the owner of one of our local bait shops about large bait that is always setting off our traps. He told me a little trick that i thought i would share with others. he said that with our 40up traps to clean off the paint and glue on a clothespin opposite my spool. just pinch the line so that the bait is pulling against the clothespin and not your trigger. when a strike happens it pulls the line free and trips the flag.  :thumbsup: I thought it was a great idea except for the fact that i wanted to be able to take the setup off my traps when using smaller baits. so this led me to drill a pinhole in the trap to allow me to pin on the bait holder when i need them and remove them when i don't.

hope this helps.  :)

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: sucker proof tipups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I have 40ups and that is a great idea!  Thanks for sharing.  Now if I only had some ice...

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:09 PM »
I use a down rigger release,same thing almost but yours looks cheaper.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:55 PM »
funny about this thread i have all my tip ups i own in the table right now figured id redo all the rigs before my tournaments the next two weeks and i saw just complaining to my fishing buddie about it tripping all the time... such a smart idea i wish i was the one to think of this... thanks for sharing
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline tunadawg71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:56 AM »
I just trim the tails on the large creek chubs we use for bait. Then they can swim as well, plus I think it makes them appear injured.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.