Author Topic: Beaver Dam Tip Up  (Read 5541 times)

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Beaver Dam Tip Up
« on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:41 PM »
I was out yesterday (Saturday) with my son and the spool on one of my Beaver Dam tip ups fell to the bottom of the lake. I searched for repair information and for the whole shaft assembly they want $25 for one or I can send mine in and have them replace what I have with a flag assembly for the same price. Wow not only are the new tip ups getting out of hand but its seems the repair costs are as well.

Offline jigarap14617

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Beaver Dam Tip Up
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:46 PM »
You can buy a good tip up for $25,one that the spool won't falling off.I have never heard of Beaver Dam tip up's,and now I know to stay away from them.Thanks for the tip!
 ;D

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:19 PM »
If you guys do not want your Beaver Dam tip ups, you can send them to me. I will give them a good home.  ;D ;D

Matt

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:31 PM »
I love my Beaver Dams I will never go with another tip up. I have had Frabill and HT ones and they don't come close to comparing. I just can't believe how expensive they are getting. I have 2 Beaver Dams and would love to have another 4 of them for my son and I. I just can't afford them new for the price they are going now, $50 on their web site. And now I had this one break on me. It is 15 years old though and to have this be the only issue I have ever had with this tip up is fantastic. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by me or do I have to send it to Beaver Dam to fix.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I have 2 Beaver Dams and would love to have another 4 of them for my son and I. I just can't afford them new for the price they are going now, $50 on their web site.

I know they are getting a bit expensive. I have been buying mine during the summer months at garage sales. My best find was 10 of them in a pail for $5 for all of them, they lady wanted the pail back though...lol.

As far as fixing them, sometimes there are people on craigslist that know how to refurbish them. Not sure of cost though. You could always post on CL in the wanted section and let them know they are "for the kids"...lol. You might get a good price on buying them, never know.

Matt

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I was looking at other sites and see that now that they have been bought out the spools are no longer soldered on. I hope this doesn't take away the quality of the product. I need to find some good ones that have been used and get my collection built. All I need is 4 more and I will be content. haha

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Worst thing when companies sell out, the new owners usually do not actually improve the product, usually just becomes "cheap" yet cost remains up there. I have 3 tip ups from my grandfather and he had them for a while. They have to be at least 30-40 years old and still work like new. Flag material was replaced, but thats all we ever had to do with them. Good luck on your search for some. I will also keep an eye out since you really are not too far away since I am from Birnamwood.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:31 AM »
As far as BD boards go I have my own opinions. I have serviced a bunch of them and think that the soldered spools are nothing but a pain to deal with.  :( Removing them is the only way to properly re-lube them and re-soldering reliably takes time and some skill. These boards have legendary quality and the move to a spool fastened by a nut would be the right one. On the (non BD) boards I use, I replace the stock nuts with SS locknuts; the kind with the nylon insert. No lost spools or nuts for me..........

If you were able to retrieve your spool it can be repaired if you have the right stuff.

First, wire brush all the paint from the soldered area on the spool. Next, clean the shaft of ALL the grease; there can't even be a film left. Fit the spool on the shaft and heat it up. I use an old fashioned iron; a torch is faster but makes too much heat, melting the grease left in the tube and will actually wick the grease into the joint and weaken it. Once the solder starts to melt dab a bit of flux right where the shaft tip comes out. Get it hot just enough to make a nice puddle and remove the heat.

Remember, too much heat gets grease in the joint...........no good. When it cools, clean any remaining flux off the spool and repaint. If you do it right it won't come off until you de-solder it. It is a bit tricky so don't be discouraged if you have to try it a few times.

Oh yeah, don't forget to take all your line off the spool before heating it............. ;D

Good Luck..........

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Worst thing when companies sell out, the new owners usually do not actually improve the product, usually just becomes "cheap" yet cost remains up there. I have 3 tip ups from my grandfather and he had them for a while. They have to be at least 30-40 years old and still work like new. Flag material was replaced, but thats all we ever had to do with them. Good luck on your search for some. I will also keep an eye out since you really are not too far away since I am from Birnamwood.

Thank you if you f ind anything let me know. I would like to get some old reliable ones as I know they are proven. I am having a hard time with the new spool configuration but if it comes down to it I guess I will have to go that way.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:13 AM »
there 40 in the stores and 33 on CL or I could set you up with what you need.

What do you have that you could set me up with and what are you looking to get for it? I am looking for 3-4 more Beaver Dams.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:14 AM »
As far as BD boards go I have my own opinions. I have serviced a bunch of them and think that the soldered spools are nothing but a pain to deal with.  :( Removing them is the only way to properly re-lube them and re-soldering reliably takes time and some skill. These boards have legendary quality and the move to a spool fastened by a nut would be the right one. On the (non BD) boards I use, I replace the stock nuts with SS locknuts; the kind with the nylon insert. No lost spools or nuts for me..........

If you were able to retrieve your spool it can be repaired if you have the right stuff.

First, wire brush all the paint from the soldered area on the spool. Next, clean the shaft of ALL the grease; there can't even be a film left. Fit the spool on the shaft and heat it up. I use an old fashioned iron; a torch is faster but makes too much heat, melting the grease left in the tube and will actually wick the grease into the joint and weaken it. Once the solder starts to melt dab a bit of flux right where the shaft tip comes out. Get it hot just enough to make a nice puddle and remove the heat.

Remember, too much heat gets grease in the joint...........no good. When it cools, clean any remaining flux off the spool and repaint. If you do it right it won't come off until you de-solder it. It is a bit tricky so don't be discouraged if you have to try it a few times.

Oh yeah, don't forget to take all your line off the spool before heating it............. ;D

Good Luck..........

/m

Thank you for the information I will try to see what I can do with this information. It would save me $25 which would be a very good benefit.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2012, 01:35 PM »
A little trick to get the spacing just right before you solder back on...slip a dibe between the bushung on top of the tube (where the trip mechanism is), and rubber-band the trip mechansim tight against the tube.  This will give you the little bit of space you need to keep the shaft turning.  Make sure you refill the tube with new grease, after you cleaned it out of course.  I have found that you usually don't need to add more solder, there's probably enough on the spool already to do the job.  There's a huge thread on L-L regarding re-lubing BD's that has a ton of pics and instructions which are very helpful.  I'm a hack and I can do it no problem!
Prayin' for cold

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.