Author Topic: How much line?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
How much line?
« on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:54 PM »
I know it depends on what depth you are fishing, but how much line do you usually have on your tip ups? I usually put about 25 yards on, but I usually only fish about 10-20 ft water and my starting depth is usually about 6-10 feet. I have yet to have a pike even come close to running me out of line, but I'm going to be fishing areas up to about 30-40 feet now.

What do you guys recommend?

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How much line?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:23 AM »
I fill my spools 3/4 full.  My reason is because the fish will be less likley to feel the tipup trip and drop the hook than if it is almost empty (because the farther from the point of rotation the more leverage you have)  The reason I don't fill it all the way is because when the spool is in the water it will absorb water and after a fish takes out line you would not be able to get it all back on if it were 100% full to begin with.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:24 AM »
I keep 30 to 40 yards on my spools.  Last week while i was getting rid of some coffee a lot of coffee I had a flad go off.  First time i had been spooled on a tip up,  this fish gave er bag.
Blake from Elbow

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Nice fish. I just ended up throwing on 50 yards. Should be plenty enough...i hope. Thanks.

Offline fishon22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2010, 02:23 PM »
3/4 fully. i never go until its full either. im just afraid im gunna get bad annoying tangles. so ya.

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2010, 09:56 AM »
i have about 50-75yds. on all my tipups but one and thats seems to be the one that gets hit all the time cuz it only has about 25 yds of line... ??? it was my tip up as a kid and i never replaced it. it just dose such a great job i dont want to mess it up.... superstition will call it.... :P
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.