Author Topic: Hook-Set Tip-Ups???  (Read 11225 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hook-Set Tip-Ups???
« on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:31 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knew how the Hook-Set Tip-Up actually works?  It's not the automatic fisherman one its just the normal tip-up with the spring loaded rod.  If anyone could tell me anything about this before I go out and buy one like the pros and cons of it that would be great.  Thank You

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Hook-Set Tip-Ups???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2009, 04:40 AM »
I've checked them out at Gander Mountain.

The Shaft with the spring is pushed down and twisted, there is a pin on the shaft that sets into a notch, this locks it into place under tension.
When the fish pulls line, the shaft rotates and the pin slides out of the little notch.  The tension of the spring is then released, setting the hook.

They were $40.00 at Gander Mountain, and I did not know how well the thing would work if you had snow, and wind.
 My thought was that they would have problems freezing.

I have an Automatic Fisherman, and it works great.  I have also heard good things about the Slammer type of tip ups.

Regular tip ups can be made to set automatically.

Tie a rubber band around the line in a couple of half hitches.  Then put the rubber band around the spool, and wind the line on for as much line as you want the fish to have.  (I usually use a couple of feet)

The fish takes the bait and runs, when he peels off the line for a couple of feet, he unwraps the line up to the rubberband.  The rubberband stretches, and sets the hook.   If the fish pulls hard enough, the rubberband breaks and he can pull out more line.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:16 AM »
I've checked them out at Gander Mountain.

The Shaft with the spring is pushed down and twisted, there is a pin on the shaft that sets into a notch, this locks it into place under tension.
When the fish pulls line, the shaft rotates and the pin slides out of the little notch.  The tension of the spring is then released, setting the hook.

They were $40.00 at Gander Mountain, and I did not know how well the thing would work if you had snow, and wind.
 My thought was that they would have problems freezing.

I have an Automatic Fisherman, and it works great.  I have also heard good things about the Slammer type of tip ups.

Regular tip ups can be made to set automatically.

Tie a rubber band around the line in a couple of half hitches.  Then put the rubber band around the spool, and wind the line on for as much line as you want the fish to have.  (I usually use a couple of feet)

The fish takes the bait and runs, when he peels off the line for a couple of feet, he unwraps the line up to the rubberband.  The rubberband stretches, and sets the hook.   If the fish pulls hard enough, the rubberband breaks and he can pull out more line.

Hope this helps,

Wiener
Could you send me a picture of this rubber band on the normal tip-up.  I don't really get the concept of it yet.  Do you just wrap it around the spool and then wrap the line you want the fish to run with around on top of that?  Would this work for perch too or would it just work for walleye and pike?  If you could help clarify some of this for me that would be great.  Thanks

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2009, 09:46 AM »
I'll try to get a few pics, if I can remember the darn camera.

Let me see if I can clear up my explanation for you.

1.  Take your rubberband and tie it to your line with a couple of half hitches.

2.   "open" the rubberband and put it over the spool of your tip up.

3.   wrap your line back onto the spool covering the rubberband.

When the fish hits, the line will unwind like normal, until the fish gets to the rubberband.
The Rubberband will stretch and then stop the line from moving which will  "set" the hook.

When the fish struggles, the rubberband will continue to stretch and spring back, unless the fish has enough power to break the rubberband.

I carry several sizes of rubberbands, and try to match the size for the fish I am trying for.

You wouldn't want to use a extra large rubberband if you were fishing for perch, and it may not work on a pike if you use one that is too small.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I got one of those hook set tip ups for Christmas and returned it after my first trip. Just didn't seem like a fish could ever trip it unless it was a huuuuge pull. Maybe I couldn't figure out a tension setting but i thought i had it as light as it would go. Who knows

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2010, 11:28 AM »
I wanted to restart this one. I was checking them out at Basspro, and they look interesting. Anyone have anymore expierience with these? Last post on it was in 2009. Want to get a few new tip ups, these look neat, but I want something that catches fish, and not fisherman.

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2010, 01:31 PM »
I own about 5 of these (got them from the Bargain Cave for $10 each last year).  Haven't used them too much.  I own 10 Frabill Pro-Thermals that have never failed me in 10 years (started w/ 3, add some here and there), so normally I stick w/ those.  However, when I get the family and friends out, I have set up the hook-sets.  I've only caught one northern (was hooked right in the corner of the mouth as advertised).  But I did have some issues (I'm guessing operator error) where all my other tip ups were catching fish, so I'd go check the Hook-Sets and the line was torn off w/o a flag or mechanism even tripped.  I've never had a flag go up and miss a fish (1 for 1?...).  W/in the next week or two, I'm going to be going over all my tip ups, and I'll make sure I don't have the line set up backwards on the hook-sets (which would cause a fish to pull and pull and just snap the line).  Sorry I can't help more, but I do own 5 and they are quite interesting.  If you need any more help, check out hooksettipup.com Ben offers a lot of advice on how to use them. 

Offline smelty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2010, 09:11 PM »
I bought one of these last winter  they are not all what they are cracked up to be.

I had one set up inside my shack so I could watch it while I was fishing for smelt.
After a while of fishing I noticed the hookset tip-up move side ways across the hole the trap never tripped.
I picked up the line and set the hook to make sure it was on and landed a 16" splake  .

I think the spring tension is too high even on the lightest setting .
 I contacted the maker about it I told him I thought the tip-up was to stiff and that the advertising and sales success rate were over hyped.
He thought that I was using it wrong . If a 16" splake can't trip it I think something is wrong I can't imagine a smaller fish tripping it .

He crows about it's success rate, but he recommends using treble hooks .
 My thoughts are that any fish that gets a treble in it's mouth probably aint going anywhere anyway so the hookset features is mute and his success rate is flawed or over stated .

I don't think he would have such a great success rate if he were using single hooks like I'm accustomed to.

I'm thinking of buy some spring steel wire in a lighter gage and making a lighter spring to replace the original it might work then .
I also question the effectiveness of the stroke of the hookset it's only 2"-3"

I also own a slammer and think thats a better design functionally although a little cumbersome .

Bob

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2010, 05:56 PM »
Well That sucks to hear these reports, I just bought 4 of them, hoping they would be a great investment. I can't report anything until I use them. I'm guessing it will be a week or two before I feel safe enough to venture out on the ice.
Either way I'll let everyone know. If they don't work....... What a waste of money that will be.

Offline harobmx2004

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:37 PM »
I know this is an old thread but has anybody got any new info on these tip uups? kicking the idea around of buying 5 of em want to make sure there worth it before I shell out 43$ a peice
FLAAGG!!!.......just kidden....

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Fishing large pike in warm temps is about all they are good for. Cant use it much here in Saskatchewan, they freeze in too quickly. I have 2, and make sure to bring them with me in march when fishing for big pike. It takes a pretty hard jerk to set them off though

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:24 PM »
 Check them out on YouTube I think they might work okay. A guy had a 14" inch pike set off the heavy weight setting which means they should not have a problem with them setting off.

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:17 AM »
I have caught 14 inch pickerel with them, set on the lightest setting.  Seem to work fine to me, watch the vids, set them up right, catch fish.  No issues with freezing either, just put a thin film of 3 and 1 oil on the shaft.

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:41 PM »
 I bought one when they first came out and have only used it a couple of times. I have caught one 26" pike with a small treble, so they do work. I had to wind the line on the spool with a drill when first spooling it .The inventor has a line winder for 5 bucks that also functions as a jaw spreader too (recommended purchase),The bad thing is they are very big compared to regular flat style tip ups .The Windlass tip ups have worked the best for me over the years.Rigged with 2 leaders ,2 hooks with 2 minnows where legal. The wind jigs the minnows. Round insulated frabills are nice on cold windy days
Well That sucks to hear these reports, I just bought 4 of them, hoping they would be a great investment. I can't report anything until I use them. I'm guessing it will be a week or two before I feel safe enough to venture out on the ice.
Either way I'll let everyone know. If they don't work....... What a waste of money that will be.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.