Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Shack Tips

Pop-Up Camper conversion

(1/6) > >>

Tomhusker:
 I bought a pop-up camper today, mostly for the trailer frame. However, my wife (bless her heart) mentions that "Hey, maybe instead of building a hard side from scratch, you could modify this thing instead."
 So, I says to myself, "Self, your wife not only has impeccable taste when it came to picking a husband, but she has a d**n fine idea there!"

SO, anyway, anybody ever try this or know someone who has? I'm thinking about gutting the interior except for the bench seats, leaving only exterior walls. Then remove the canvas, replace with hinged plywood that I can flip up after cranking the top up, with a couple of braces to hold it in place after it is up. Plus some corner pieces to be put up after the sides are in place to block corner gaps.

OR should I stay with the original idea and make it a flatbed to haul by Fish Trap and ATV?

Ideas and input welcome... er needed.

zamboni:
I actually, as I type, have an ad on freecycle looking for a pop up to do the same to. Only requirements- has to be able to pop-up, and a heater. I am thinking, pop it up, rip bunks out, and side canvas and put up some plywood. Number the plywood sheets and put corresponding numbers on the camper, so it can be towed in the lowered position. Cut holes on floor, make sleeves to slide into holes to prevent cold air from getting in. I would probably pull out the galley as well. I own a pop-up we use as a camper, so I got some ideas from having it set up camping in it. The heater thing I might be able to get around, and just use the big buddy, but I would rather use the heater in it. I plan on once I get it to my spot to set it up and leave it until its time to pull it off the lake.

mud_n_fun:
Pop-up behind the truck, loaded with the equipment, ATV in the truck bed(or on top of the pop-up's reinforced roof). Sounds like an easy and quick unload at the landing.

Tomhusker:
Eh, I've decided to scrap the Pop up shanty idea and just scrap the whole thing down to a flatbed trailer. Too much work, not enough time.

CrappieBuster:
Heres our shack.  For under 300 bucks.  If I was you id eliminate the canvas popup part.  And run metal studs and or 2x2sticks up and wrap that in steel siding.  With foam board and paneling on the inside.  I would guess you could do this for around 400 bucks.  Ive seen some ex popups before converted like that and they were slick.

Exterior....

Cmon in and have an old mill why doncha? 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version