Author Topic: My new ride has been ordered  (Read 3943 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
My new ride has been ordered
« on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:45 AM »
Is it time yet?   ;D

:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My new ride has been ordered
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Super cool DuBob! when you get it and run it through the upcoming season let us know what your thoughts are on this SnowDog! It looks super cool man. Congratulations.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2020, 11:25 AM »
Looks good Bob. I'm sure you will enjoy it for sure, cant wait to see it out on the ice  :thumbsup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Congratulations Bob,, looks very cool. I look forward to your reports!
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2020, 08:49 PM »
Congratulations on the new toy

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2020, 07:23 AM »
Make sure you add carbide studs to the track. It makes a world of difference.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:23 AM »
Make sure you add carbide studs to the track. It makes a world of difference.
Is that a dealership install or DIY install?  Or either/or?  Been leaning in that direction but hadn't made a final decision just yet.  If a DIY is feasible, how is it done and/or how easy is it for a very old fart to do?   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:34 AM »
Is that a dealership install or DIY install?  Or either/or?  Been leaning in that direction but hadn't made a final decision just yet.  If a DIY is feasible, how is it done and/or how easy is it for a very old fart to do?   ;D

This is what I used. VERY easy.  Just use a socket set to screw the studs into a flat round spot on the track that was designed to have studs installed there. Only "tough" part is moving the track in 6 inch increments to expose the next row that needs studs screwed in.

https://www.denniskirk.com/kold-kutter/1-2-in-ama-legal-tire-traction-ice-screws-kk012-8-1000.p080912.prd/080912.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=csecid=6821162156&aid=76472566741&keyword=850586347114%3A%3Apla-850586347114&kid=850586347114&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ejzxtr67AIVENbACh21tgt3EAQYBiABEgI2h_D_BwE

Here is another option.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2019-New-Model-Snow-Screw-Tire-Studs-Skid-Falling-Spikes-Wheel-Tyres-100PCs-for-Car-Motorcycle-Bicycle/677301595?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101043444&&adid=22222222227384685705&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=477105495500&wl4=pla-1005171650638&wl5=9019537&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=274286498&wl11=online&wl12=677301595&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlYOWptr67AIVKB6tBh3ozgWbEAQYAyABEgLZdPD_BwE

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2020, 08:07 PM »
Congratulations on the new toy cannot wait to see it in action

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2020, 08:21 PM »
Congrats Bob!  Looks like a great machine.  Keep us posted, would love to hear a review.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2020, 07:28 PM »
I'm not sure what the advantage to owning one of these is?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2020, 07:29 AM »
Light weight, can be loaded in truck bed with gear (no trailer), less fuel, can be used on dirt/mud for hunting. I do see some advantages but I do like my sled which advantages are you can get there quicker, floats over deeper powder & slush at higher speeds, no need for extra sled to sit in, can shoot over water gaps or pressure ridges, rides 2 on one machine.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2020, 07:35 AM »
Light weight, can be loaded in truck bed with gear (no trailer), less fuel, can be used on dirt/mud for hunting. I do see some advantages but I do like my sled which advantages are you can get there quicker, floats over deeper powder & slush at higher speeds, no need for extra sled to sit in, can shoot over water gaps or pressure ridges, rides 2 on one machine.

You are correct that a SnowDog is no snowmobile. But I can typically pull all my gear and a passenger far and fast enough on a normal lake without a problem.

Aside from the deeper powder/slush which is very true, the biggest difference I have found with mine is hills.

I can pull a very heavy Clam X300 with myself and gear on the level just fine. When I have a long hill on a snowmobile trail that is not hard-packed so that the carbide studs can bite, things can get slow. Nothing like a snowmobile with deep paddles on the track to pull a heavy load up a slope.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2020, 07:46 AM »
I'm not sure what the advantage to owning one of these is?

I wasn't either til I watched a couple YouTube videos, a guy drug a moose out of the woods and another skidding logs... it got me thinking!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2020, 07:51 AM »
I wasn't either til I watched a couple YouTube videos, a guy drug a moose out of the woods and another skidding logs... it got me thinking!

This is a HUGE advantage (5.5 foot bed), especially to those without a trailer. And, it doesn't get all salty when traveling.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2020, 07:58 AM »
It for sure isn't the end-all machine for everybody.  But it does have a place in the ice fishing world for sure.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Nice, congrats. I bought one for this season as well. Got it out last weekend and boy does she pull. just gotta get my last hitch installed and then its time to pull a train across the ice, WoooHaaa. I got a Hitch Hauler to load mine on as by the time I get my flip, jet sled and snow dog driver sled in back of truck I'm loaded. Besides the ice studs in the Track any other upgrades/ modifications you have made @ Gunflint.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline michigan-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:40 AM »
Super cool!

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2020, 11:34 AM »
I may have to look into one of these in the coming seasons..... See alot of benefits to it.
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2020, 12:42 PM »
Nice, congrats. I bought one for this season as well. Got it out last weekend and boy does she pull. just gotta get my last hitch installed and then its time to pull a train across the ice, WoooHaaa. I got a Hitch Hauler to load mine on as by the time I get my flip, jet sled and snow dog driver sled in back of truck I'm loaded. Besides the ice studs in the Track any other upgrades/ modifications you have made @ Gunflint.

I bought the Snowdog without the reverse (mistake) because I need to back it out of where I park it. So, I bought and installed the reverse kit.

Otherwise, the stock system is fine and I have not done any modifications.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2020, 12:43 PM »
Another advantage and the very thing that has me wanting one is this;  We have a law in Michigan that "No motorized vehicles" are allowed on state land, that is not designated for ATV use.  The snow dog is "NOT" a vehicle, since you don't ride in it or on it.  If you go to the Michigan Secretary of State office, they won't allow you to register it, because they say it isn't a vehicle.  If they won't register it, because it is "NOT" a vehicle, one should be able to use it on state land and not have to worry about getting a ticket.  Well, you probably would still get a ticket, knowing the DNR around here, but it should be thrown out in court.  Since the State is saying it isn't a vehicle.  The reason this is so important is that I have (2) lake that are on state land about a mile from my house.  Since my health isn't the greatest, I'd sure like to be able to haul my gear out onto the lake using this machine.  I want one, BAD!

That is a WONDERFUL argument! I don't see how you could lose in court.  Most likely, it would provoke a new law for the next season.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2020, 12:50 PM »
I don't know if "one" guy getting his case thrown out of court would initiate a new law.  But, if thousands of guys started using them, I'm pretty sure it would, lol.  But then, they'd have to change all of the signs stating "NO MOTORS", costing the state big money!

Worth sitting on the sidelines with some popcorn and watching the drama... ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2020, 01:11 PM »
Got the E-track strips installed in the new trailer this AM and will be picking it up this afternoon.  Yee Haa!   ;D

Oops - I just looked out the window and then pulled up the MyRadar app on my phone.  Not interested in driving 73 miles to Orem one way in this slop.  I'll head down there in the morning.

Here's a picture of the completed E-Track strips installation.  Nice job if I do say so myself.   ;D ;D ;D

Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:34 PM »
Looking good Bob 👍  can't wait to see the new dog in action
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:38 PM »
Very nice Bob. Can’t wait to check it out! Some guys have all the luck.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2021, 02:07 PM »
First trip with the Dog is now history.  I took it to Smith & Morehouse the Wednesday before New Years day.  It pulled me (235), my Clam Nanook XL Thermal, and all my ice gear.  The steering is a learning curve for sure - not nearly as easy as steering a quad or snowmobile.  I had a chance to run some slush on the way out and back and did not get bogged down in it.  Burley wasn't so lucky with his machine on that day.  The story is that he did get stopped but was able to maneuver out of it by getting it back on top of the snow and walking beside it for a short bit.  I'll have to remember that just in case.   ;D

One of the things that became abundantly clear almost immediately was that the stand-in sled that you haul yourself in is very slick (slippery) when covered with snow dust.  After thinking about this for a short bit, I decided that a rubber mat of some sort should be found and placed on the inside floor of that sled.  I measured the bottom width and length inside the sled and came up with a 20" X 3' dimension requirement.  Lowes was my first stop and low and behold I found exactly what I was looking for in their flooring department on the door mat rack.  It is an all rubber mat made for indoor/outdoor mat that is 2' X 3' size for $20.

Placed it in the sled and the long edge (3') rolls up the sides a tad on both sides.  Ill try it this way for a trip or two and see how much, if any, it moves during use.  If it tends to move, I can always trim it to the exact width of 20".  My military style micky mouse boots should hold without slipping on the rubber surface with all the little nubbins built into the surface intended to act like scrapers.

My next mod will be some Kolpin single gun racks to hold the K-Drill auger.  On order from Amazon; be here Tuesday.

Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Sounds like your getting it dialed in for what our needing to add Bob, I would mention that you may go with the double gun rack and then you have a place to put the one shot hole skimmer. I like the double on my wheeler just for that purpose. It also holds my spud or ice saw at the gorge. That mat in your riding sled should do the trick for traction.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:28 AM »
Thanks Matt.  Amazon has more racks if I need a second set.   ;D

The mat is already in place and I'll mount the racks tomorrow afternoon and will test them out on Hyrum on Wednesday.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2021, 10:13 AM »
That's a nice toy Bob, I need to get me one. Curious, did you stud the track? You mentioned going through slush, and your pal got stuck. Any difference in the machine setup, or are you just a naturally gifted SnowDog operator?  ;) ;D

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2021, 01:25 PM »
That's a nice toy Bob, I need to get me one. Curious, did you stud the track? You mentioned going through slush, and your pal got stuck. Any difference in the machine setup, or are you just a naturally gifted SnowDog operator?  ;) ;D
Oh - naturally gifted of course.

No studs yet, but will do them shortly.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.