The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: minnow threading  (Read 10028 times)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
minnow threading
« on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:03 PM »
A guy at work swears by threading your line on a sewing needle and stiching it just under the skin below the dorsal fin of the minner and the attaching a small sharp hook. Ever tried this technique.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: minnow threading
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:21 PM »
That is a saltwater trick used for BIGGER minnows... I bet it would work on the little guys though!
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:04 AM »
I thread minnows all the time for  :tipup: fishing.
I make a 2-3 foot leader with a loop at one end Adan a #12 to 8 Treble hook at the other.
I start right behind the Brain on the Minnow and poke just under the skin.
Run the Needle parallel with the minnow just under the skin to the rear of the Minnow.
Attach the loop end of the leader to the needle and feed the leader through the minnow.
slide the shank of the hook just under the skin up to the barbs.
When it is done the Minnow is swimming freely with the treble hook mostly hidden and laying tight to the Minnow.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:03 AM »
I thread minnows all the time for  :tipup: fishing.
I make a 2-3 foot leader with a loop at one end Adan a #12 to 8 Treble hook at the other.
I start right behind the Brain on the Minnow and poke just under the skin.
Run the Needle parallel with the minnow just under the skin to the rear of the Minnow.
Attach the loop end of the leader to the needle and feed the leader through the minnow.
slide the shank of the hook just under the skin up to the barbs.
When it is done the Minnow is swimming freely with the treble hook mostly hidden and laying tight to the Minnow.

I do it almost the same way. But use a 6"-8" leader and attach to the tip up with a small swivel. Also use a two prong hook instead of a treble.

It is the only way i use minnows on tipups,really high hooking percentage ;)

Offline Benjfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Excellent hooking percentage! From what I heard, a fish will always try to take a minnow head first. This is where your hook will be! Don't know how it will work with a big finicky Walleye?!?!

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:26 AM »
I posted some pics in a thread last winter. Ice fishing tips/tipups(page 5)/hooks on tipups.

Hope it helps.

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Big waste of time with minnows you can buy in Wyoming! Maybe big pike baits? Not much of that around here.Ill have 3 lines in by the time you kill your first minnow. There is a good video about hooking a minnow on the new slick jig on youtube, in the mouth out the gill stick hook in behind the dorsal, something like that.Check it out maybe someone knows how to put up the link?The biggest thing is to check your tip-ups often, gets the minnows going to! Lips and behind dorsal will work fine to IMO.

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2010, 01:18 PM »
I didn't know it was a race. ;D It might take 30 Seconds extra to thread a minnow. I might kill one minnow to every 100 that i thread.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:22 PM »
I didn't know it was a race. ;D It might take 30 Seconds extra to thread a minnow. I might kill one minnow to every 100 that i thread.

x2   lol

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Hardly ever lose a minnow,usually catch the fish. Seems like when you don't hook them up is when your using larger minnows and a smaller perch tries to take it and decides its to big and lets it go.

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:25 AM »
It maybe a race when you have eye in your name and there is an hour of prime time twice a day and you drive 3 hours to get there and you have to come home! Or your behind me chasing those schools of perch. When it comes to ice to have your hands in it and the minnow out of it doesn't make much sense to me ;There are a lot of good ways to hook a minnow with out the sewing machine!

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2010, 01:09 PM »
it may take me a few more seconds to thread a minnow but i have caught  three or four perch on the same minnow when the bite is hot they just push the minnow up the line instead of knocking it off.

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2010, 01:56 PM »
I often will sit in my warm shack and pre thread a few minnows, always keep a few extras in the Minner Bucket ready to snap on the swivel. As far as Perch goes, I Jig for those with the Vex.

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:08 PM »
yes no doubt using electronics is the most effective way to catch fish,have to thank minnow guy for showing me that a few years ago,but as far as tip ups go i like the threaded minnows because i never have to worry about stolen bait if a fish grabs it he will trip the flag.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I agree with what both Icen and Duckman both said. Over the last 30 something years I've tried many different ways  of rigging minnows,hooking minnows,and gear setups. I have to say i always come back to threading minnows. Does not take much more time,lose way less minnows,and have a better hook up percentage.

But that's just my opinion. By the sharing of the idea it just gives others the chance to TRY it and make up their own minds. Not saying its the only way,and its not the fastest(if that's important,not my highest priority)just another option to try. To each his own. ;D

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:33 PM »
Used to sew baitfish when fishing salt water, it was usually more an issue of proper presentation. Do you find that threading gives a subtler presentation?

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:41 PM »
i use small trebles and they sit right on top of the minnows head dont know if you could call that subtle but it is affective.i dont catch every fish that hits but one thing ive noticed is on the first hit if i dont get the fish they normally dont get the minnow .ive dropped it right back down and had hookups before i could get my tipup reset.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:02 PM »
One reason I like doing the threading of minnows is that it had some really low mortality on them. IF the fishing is slow, at the end of the day you can pull the line back through the minnow, throw it in the bucket, and it will be alive the next weekend. If you're just hooking a minnow, your barb is going to rip a chunk out of them and they die. Saves money on those slow weekends.
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:13 PM »
I use 5" Al's Treading Needles, easier to handle larger needle with cold fingers. I also keep pre made leaders on a Snell holder(round tube style). I also take a hook file and sharpen the needles as much as possible so they easily poke through the skin. The biggest problem that i have is keeping track of the needle. This is the website  for the Needle http://www.alsgoldfish.com/Baiting_Needles_p/bn.htm

This is a cool device that i just found for keeping track of the Needle http://themagneedle.com/

Hope this helps

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:19 PM »
Good points IcenEyes. I also use the same needle. I just stick the needle in the bill of my hat,stick a finger on it once in a while though. lol

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2010, 05:31 PM »
I use a square piece of foam i wrap my pre tied leaders with hooks around it stick the hooks in one end and wrap it around the foam i have a slit in the foam to hold the line in place.i cut all my leaders the same legnth so when i catch a fish and have to tie a new one on i dont have to recheck the depth.i also stick a couple spare needles in the foam.just a few things to save time.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:21 AM »
BIG BEAR SPORTS IN BILLINGS, MT SELLS AL'S NEEDLES, AT LEAST THEY HAD THEM LAST YEAR.  THEY ARE A GREAT NEEDLE AS THEY HAVE A SLOT IN THE EYE TO PUT YOUR PRE-RIGGED LEADERS IN TO QUICKLY ATTACH, RUN THE LENGTH OF THE MINNOW AND THEN DE-ATTACH FROM THE NEEDLE.  I ALWAYS THREAD WHEN FISHING 3" OR LARGER MINNOWS.  LAST WINTER ON PECK, 1 THREADED 5" MINNOW CAUGHT 3 WALLEYE AND A PIKE.  IT WAS STILL ALIVE UNTIL THE PIKE FINALLY GOT IT AS IT SLID UP THE LINE WITH EACH WALLEYE.  HAPPENED ON NUMEROUS OTHER OCCASIONS, TOO.  NOW THAT'S GETTING YOUR MONEY'S WORTH ;)  GOOD FISHING - OH

Offline cobra_19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:35 AM »
I have never fished for walleye through the ice and have only fished for eyes a few times from the boat, I have a question about catching eyes with dead minnows.  Would a guy be best off threading the minnow like the posts here say and then setting the minnow on the bottom or holding it just off the bottom?  We can't use live bait and was interested in any techniques to catch an eye.  Do worms work good?  Any info would be appreciated.
Caught a big'un!

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:09 AM »
I have never fished for walleye through the ice and have only fished for eyes a few times from the boat, I have a question about catching eyes with dead minnows.  Would a guy be best off threading the minnow like the posts here say and then setting the minnow on the bottom or holding it just off the bottom?  We can't use live bait and was interested in any techniques to catch an eye.  Do worms work good?  Any info would be appreciated.

I have always been able to use live minnows where i have ice fished for them. If i had to use dead ones i don't think i would bother threading them, just lip or dorsal fin hook them, dorsal fin would make them hang with a more natural look. I usually set mine for 6" to a foot off the bottom, worms could work also you never know. I think if I had to use dead bait i would concentrate more on jigging for them, jigging rap, spoons, darters, etc.  with a small piece of minnow for scent, you would attract more fish with some movement.   Hope this helps

Offline thejiggerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:11 AM »
I have been threading minnows since it was leagal to use live minnows in WY and wouldn't do it any other way as the catch ratio goes way up. I learned to do this fishing in Florida in the 70s. Yea it may be a little cumbersome when it is really cold but I ice a lot more fish with less frustration. I use a handkerchief to hold the minnow as this is not so slippery! Sportmans carry needles.

Offline mtelkhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Is it possible to thread minnows using the heavy flouro leaders that are used when pike are abundant?  Planning a trip to Ft Peck later in the year and this threading thing seems like it would be the ticket, but I've never done it.    Usually use 40lb flouro for leaders and not sure how this thick stuff would work or if there is even a needle that would work.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:26 AM »
i just started threading my minnows this year.  i agree that the minnows stay alive very well, in fact i have some minnows in my garage with an aerator right now that will be going on their third trip soon.  I like the theory of having the treble at the minnows head, but I have had my loss percentage go way up with this rig.  I used to just hook the minnows under the dorsal with a gamakatsu hook.  The single hook didnt hook them all, but if it did it seemed like they were coming out of the hole.  With the threaded rig I seem to hook about 95% of the fish that take the minnow, but seems like nearly half come off on the way up.  The last day i was out i bet we had 2 dozen flags and caught 7 sauger and 2 ling.  I have been using #6 lazersharp hooks.  Are these too big?  Do i need to invest in a higher quality treble?  I think my trebles don't allow these fish to swallow the hook as easily for one thing.  I actually caught a ling the other day that swallowed the line with the minnow but the treble caught his lip on the way in, kinda wierd.  IMHO I would use a single gamakatsu on any smaller minnow, and thread larger minnows. I don't think you have much of a chance hooking a fish on a large (4" inch or larger) on a single hook anyway.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:40 AM »
I also always thread my minnows, have done so for a lot of years. But I am just saying if I had to use DEAD minnows I don't think I would bother. Your minnow would hang head down motionless, if you dorsal hooked them they would hang horizontal and look more natural, just saying.

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I use #10 trebles they may seem small but i catch some big fish on them.

Offline badsparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:44 AM »
I use #8 and #10 trebbiles for walleye and #12 trebbiles for perch.  Since I began threading minnows my losses are down and my catch rate is up. I also like the abillity to resuse the same minnow after one or two hookups since they just slide right up the leader.  I just buy #14 kniitting needles and put them on the grinder for a couple of seconds, they are alot cheeper than buying the real ones.  I have gotten some strange looks walking into the knitting store before.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.