Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1607036 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #12600 on: Jun 01, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Tom congratulations on the tom.
And congratulations to the grand son..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12601 on: Jun 01, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Good Evening Everyone :bow:

Not a whole lot to report on this part of the map. I have been keeping busy working on the house washing. A few years ago we had a bad wind storm and ended up turning a claim into the insurance company. They sent a couple of guys out to fix some trim and put on new shingles due to hail. The shingling went well but I didn't realize what a poor job they did on the trim.

On 2 sides of the house they replaced the roof edge and almost all of the nails either came out or popped out and are barely holding. The last couple of days I have been pounding nails fixing their crappy work. I had to barrow the neighbors 30' ladder so I could reach the edge, I figured it was easier than hanging over pounding upside down.

Eddie fishing is in the future. Tomorrow (Saturday) muskies open, so either Monday or Tuesday I am getting the old boat launched. The local lake has a decent number of them however fishing pressure is nuts. I am hoping that going midweek I will at least not have to worry about getting run over. The boat should hold together with four fresh tubes of liquid nails holding things together. The odds of getting one isn't great but a change of scenery is needed.

mr.clean I sure hope they can get you back to doing cartwheels soon, or at least back to normal :thumbsup: Take care!

WW safe travels on the benefit ride for firefighters :thumbsup: Great cause. The walking is going well, 4 miles a day.

TT congratulations to your Grandson :clap:

IW hope the kid watching went well :thumbsup:

Hope you all have an excellent eveningand weekend :thumbsup: As always stay safe!

WS

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #12602 on: Jun 02, 2018, 04:37 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Partly cloudy skies and 66* this am, high of 77 here today. Just checked the Las Vegas weather, it's 77 there right now with a high of 102* today, 108 tomorrow....  :o

Marv...smart idea getting the boat out mid week, best of luck with the Muskie fishing and a well deserved break from all the work you've been doing!   :clap: :thumbsup:
  Tom...hope you are suprised with a good crowd today, best of luck with the sales!   :thumbsup:
  Wally...have a safe ride today, hope it raises a lot of $$, great cause!!  :clap: :thumbsup:
  H2...hope all went well with your daughters surgery yesterday, best wishes to her on a speedy recovery!  :thumbsup:
  Jeff...how did the babysitting go for you yesterday? I'm sure grandpa had a few things to keep them occupied...hope you had a great time!   :thumbsup:  How's your garden doing?

A couple of the guys at work asked me what was the most memorable time we had in Vegas. Tough question to answer as there were so many, but I narrowed it down to one in particular.
  We took a ride from the Las Vegas Strip out into the Mojave Dessert and worked our way to a ski resort known as Lee Canyon. It was amazing watching the dessert turn from a dry arid place with nothing but sand and cactus, to a lush green of pines and breath taking mountains as we rose in elevation to over 9,000ft. above sea level.
  We saw wild donkeys closer to the dessert, and many wild mustangs throughout the mountains, especially at the ski resort.
  The temperature change went from 97* in the dessert to 59* at the ski resort....still some scattered snow as well. Natures air conditioning...it was really special. Cost of admission...an hour of driving time and maybe $15 in gas!!   ;D
  Still can't post pictures here, but maybe Marv will do me the honors?
  Cawfee's on....hope everyone has a great weekend!
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12603 on: Jun 02, 2018, 05:12 AM »

Good morning Eddie, ER's,
                         It's 65* and cloudy with a humidity of 99%, you can cut the air with a knife! ::)
                         Eddie........When I lived in California after I got out of the Navy I made many trips to the mountains. The terrain is amazing,
                going from desert to lush forest in just a little while. I'm glad you were able to experience that for yourself. :thumbsup: My time
                with my granddaughters was fun and a little frustrating. The youngest has not been away from her mother that much and out of
                the blue she would start crying asking for her mother. It wouldn't last long all I had to do was give something sweet and she was
                good to go! :whistle: My wifes garden is coming along nicely, thanks for asking. :flex:
                         Marv.......One thing I've learned that when an insurance company sends someone to fix something their work must be checked
                for quality. The seem to hire fly by night companies. :cookoo:
                         Wally.......I hope the weather is good for your ride today. My hat is off to you and Mr. WW for raising $$ for a good cause. :clap: :thumbsup:
                         Steve......I hope the Dr. gets you on the mend! :flex:
                         Tom........Good luck selling today. :thumbsup:
                         I hope everyone has a good Saturday either at work or out on the water.

IW

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12604 on: Jun 02, 2018, 05:27 AM »
66 this morning. Some storms around us last night but only some light rain here. Looks like some cooler weather next week.

Thanks everyone, the operation went well. She came home in the afternoon and they told her she can go back to work on Monday if she feels up to it. She has to stay out of the gym for 2 weeks....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12605 on: Jun 02, 2018, 05:33 AM »
Morning all,

H2L.....hope your daughter's surgery went well & she's on the road to recovery now  ;)

IW.....funny how a cookie or piece of candy can make all your problems disappear when you're little  ;D   wait......come to think of it, an ice cream still does it for me  :roflmao: :thumbsup:  glad you had a good day  :)

Eddie.....hope you're getting over the jet lag & getting caught up on home "stuff"  @)

WS.....fingers crossed the fishing is on fire this week  :flex: :clap:  you've certainly earned a relaxing few days of fun, enjoy  :thumbsup:

MrC......hope the doctor figured out a fix & you're starting to feel better  ;)

Heading out in a couple hours, hoping the dreary skies clear up a bit or at the very least don't bring any rain this way  :-\  weatherman says not to worry it will be a nice day  @)   that makes me worry  :roflmao:

Have a good day at whatever your day brings. Stay safe.

Morning H2L.....glad to hear your daughter is doing well  :thumbsup:

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12606 on: Jun 02, 2018, 05:44 AM »
What a difference a day makes. Mid 70's yesterday morning. 57* this morning.

Eddie Did you notice the difference in oxygen in the air when you got to 9,000 feet in elevation. I was in pretty good condition on my only trip to elk hunt in Colorado. I do not think that you condition your self for the lack of oxygen in what you are breathing. You can see me suffering from it in some of the videos we took out there. We were camped at 8,000 and climbing to almost 10,000 to find elk. When a group took an old bachelor trapper to Casper WY one time, they had to take him down to town to stay with some friends their as he got altitude sickness.

Gotta go get stuff out for the sale and some signs out so people know there are sales in the subdivision.

See you later.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12607 on: Jun 02, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Eddies trip pictures 2018

Who'd of thought you could go from Sin City to the mountains and snow in an hour  ;D

You can see some of the wild Mustangs out on the range

The desert.... Starting to see some scrub pines as we get closer to the mountains

My daughter Lacey with the mustangs

Old Vegas...Never did see anyone take this guy up on his challenge. Wish I would have worn my steel toed boots... Lol

Here is where we stayed The Paris

A shot of the strip....Only an hour to the mountains

Thanks for looking!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12608 on: Jun 03, 2018, 04:45 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                          It's 57* and clear here on my hill, a nice day is ahead. :clap:
                          Eddie.........Nice pictures, the Vegas skyline sure has changed since I was there last. ???
                          H2L...........I'm glad to hear your daughter is home and healing, :flex: staying out of the gym isn't a bad thing. :roflmao:
                          Marv.........I hope the fish are biting for you soon. :thumbsup:
                          Steve........How are things going with the Dr.'s diagnosis. ???
                          Wally.........How was the fishing?
                          Since my surgery is on Wednesday, I've had to stop taking my arthritis medicine last Wednesday, the joints starting to ache Friday night
                 and sleeping has become disruptive. I've tried taking Ibuprofen with little results, I can't wait till this is over. :%$#!:
                         I hope everyone has a good Sunday either at work or out fishing.

IW

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12609 on: Jun 03, 2018, 05:02 AM »
Good Morning ER's

I'm paying the price for not putting on any sunscreen, and wearing shorts yesterday, for as red as the knees are would think it would sting more than it does.  Little hick up to start with, fishing partner messed with his trolling motor plug in for 2 hours before we wet a line.  Fun part was think near 60 eyes to the boat if not more, all short of the 18" mark.  Another boat had some from 18 to 24" that they released.  Got lots of things on the list besides fishing, so best make hay on my days off.  ::)

Mrs. had eye exam and Doc. says she needs cataract surgery. Comes with the territory huh.  See one thing on the list is Rat bait is all gone. ::)  Might as well put out some more.

Gee Marv, I don't remember seeing any snow near Las Vegas, must have been all the bright lights prevented seeing any  ::) :whistle:

Morning Jeff, see you just posted while I am pecking away,  What do you take for the arthritis ???

Hope everyone makes the best of there day today

Bud

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12610 on: Jun 03, 2018, 05:47 AM »
Morning all,

Eddie.....thanks for sharing the pics, some amazing sites  :thumbsup:

WS....thanks for helping Eddie out  :clap:  hope your weekend has been a relaxing one  ;)2

IW.....sorry to hear about your discomfort  :(  hope the time until surgery passes quickly for you

IFF....those "things that need doing" lists never seem to get any shorter  ::)

The bike ride went well despite some seriously dark clouds early on. There was around 180 bikes registered & the procession was at least a mile long if not longer, pretty impressive sight I'm sure  @)  Not sure how much money was raised yet, I'll try to get a $ amount later

the view from a ladder truck

one of the many fire departments along the way

Have a good Sunday whatever's on tap. Stay safe.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12611 on: Jun 03, 2018, 07:42 AM »
I awoke to rain on the roof around 4 am. I looked at the radar to see it had just started but the rain only stretched to the lake shore. When I got up at seven it was just through here. A cloudy day is forecast that I will not mind at all. A nice 54* to start out the day. Yesterday it stayed cloudy for most of the sale making things great.

I might have made a dollar an hour for the time I put in on the yard sale. The wife did a little better than me. Sure were a lot of drive byes but at least there was no shooting like happens so often in Grand Rapids. ::) The back of her Escape is packed with things to go to Love Inc. a great Christian second hand store. I had put my Kenai shanty out as I am done being able to get out on the ice to fish. One of the locals that I have had some issues with stopped by while I was out picking up signs. She told him what my minimum was that I had offered it to another guy. He said he would be back but he never came back. I am sure he was going to low ball me and I would just tell him to hit the road. The wife just said that her sisters son might be interested in the shanty for his son. I will throw in some rods for the young man.

The high light of the sale was when a seriously heavy weight young lady was looking at the all of the hand me down clothes that her  group of friends that had had gastric surgery had given to the wife. She said she was having gastric surgery this week. She and the wife talked for quite awhile. The wife was able to help ease a lot of her fears of having he surgery done. She is having the surgery done by a surgeon in the same office that did the wife's surgery. I told her that that group had the best support system I have ever seen. She agreed.

ww It is sad that bikers get a bad wrap from things the few do. The bikers groups do a lot of good, a lot of which goes unrecognized.

IFF Cataract surgery is not that bad any more. It only takes a few minutes and you are not restricted for very long after it is done. I have had both eyes done. When I was in for my last check up my eyes tested out at 20/20 with out glasses on. After wearing glasses since I was 15 I only need cheap reading glasses to read. I never bought expensive RX glasses, I bought $7 cheepies at the dollar store but ended up buying them at my local pharmacy as they were better quality for around $15 for them. They come in many different magnification so you can find the magnification you need to read.  I have a lot of pairs as I forget where I put them the last time I used them.

IW I had to go off some meds when I had surgery so I know what you are going through. Can you take some Tylenol pm. That might help.

Need to go do some serious grocery shopping so I might have to unload the back of the Escape to have room for groceries.

Every one have a great Sunday no matter what you have planned.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12612 on: Jun 03, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Good Sunday morning everyone, Around noon on Friday went to urgent care clinic  told PA on duty my problems and she reviewed medications prescribed and treatment given on last two visits . Told me it might be something other then bronchitis causing me problems suggested  getting CT Angiography of chest . Told since clinic is urgent care facility and not a primary doctor may have trouble getting this imaging procedure preformed. She said go to local Hospital ER if no imaging service would do procedure and have CT scan done at hospital. No new medications visit at clinic around a half hour. Stopped by my employer after leaving clinic to update store director on my medical condition also spoke with coworker and got name of his primary care doctor. On Saturday called this doctor's office told earliest appointment I could have was in late June early July explained my situation was given name of local radiology center and told to see if they would do the scan. Also called imaging center recommended by clinic after some back and forth was told I would have to pay up front for the scan and earliest opening was Friday June 8 TH. I have done a little internet research on CT scan and not sure if I want to have image done it involves having an iodine based contrast media injected into vein under arm and then having to get into machine similar to MRI which takes images have to remain still during scan. You  can have a reaction to iodine media, medication available to prevent this which must be taken the day before scan. So I'm thinking even if I have the scan with no primary doctor currently how do I get any further medical procedure done if the scan shows something other then bronchitis present in my lungs.

Wallyworld congrats on the walleyes and perch sure your brother will enjoy the fillets. Glad the weather cooperated and there was a good turn out for the bike ride.
IFF may the sun burn heal quickly and be a pain free process. Looking at Gander Outdoors website see several stores across the U.S. stated to open in July hope everyone gets their merchandise on time.
Ice Wanderer may the arthritis not become to painful and affect your sleep to badly in days leading up to your surgery. Congratulations to your step granddaughter on her graduation. Young children learn quickly crying will get them attention and hopefully some treat they like eating.
Tom Turkey glad to read you found your wallet. Congrats to your grandson on his graduation. Maybe his father regrets his past and now wants to have a larger presence in his children's lives. How did the community yard sale go yesterday. Personally think your wife will never be able to resign from her lake assoc. position as she is to valuable and cares deeply about your community.
Whopper Stopper thanks for posting Eddie's photos. How does the house look after washing and repair to trim. Have fun chasing the muskys this week.
Hunts2long happy to hear all is now well with you youngest daughter.
Eddie nice photos nice your daughter Lacey was able to make the trip with you hard to do family vacations after children become adults.

Have a good day folks.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12613 on: Jun 03, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Good morning Mr. Turkey glad you were able to sell some items at yard sale. Hope the cargo area of the Escape is not packed with to many items that need removing so you can grocery shop.
Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12614 on: Jun 03, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Good afternoon everyone :bow:

Busy morning so I wasn't able to post. We decided to take a run to the shack and get the lawn mowed and then start turning our attention toward the bears. In WI you could legally start baiting the first part of April which seemed pretty early. I decided to make a pit and throw in some gummy bears and see if there are any bears around. We will just give them small amounts until August and then I will start giving them 10 gallons a time until the Sept 5 start date.

The s-i-l and I found a depression in the ground that should fill the bill. There is a nasty swamp that cuts through our property where the bear and deer love to travel. The depression in the ground is just off the tip of the swamp making it a safe zone for the bear to come to eat. We put a camera up so next weekend we will head back up and see if anything found the treats. The hole in the ground is much deeper than it looks in the picture. It is about 7' across and a good 3'-4' deep. All the ferns and under brush really hide the hole.

We put the gummy's in the bottom along with a few bags of old marshmallows, then I stacked a bunch of logs on top of everything. We had bought a kids Super Soaker squirt tube last year for $2.00. You can suck up about a pint of liquid and shoot it 30'-40'. We had a gallon of banana extract and blasted the trees around the pit with it to get the bears attention. It is going to be fun seeing if anything comes.

I heard from Eddie today, he is having a time of it with his computer. Hope he can get the problems resolved by coffee time tomorrow morning. I am hoping for Monkey Buns :thumbsup:

mr.clean good luck with your medical decisions. I sure hope you can get back to feeling 100% soon.

IFF the Father in law just had cataract surgery. I think he said it was like 10-15 minutes an eye. He couldn't believe how fast it went anyway. He had one done and then a couple weeks later he had the other one done. Like TT his eyes are 20/20 now.

WW glad the ride turned out well, 180 bikes, nice turn out, well done :clap: :clap:

IW hope the weather stays blue bird for the next couple of days, it seems the arthritis is always much better with good weather. I know what you mean about wishing it was over.

Tomorrow is lawn mowing day here and then Tuesday is hitting the lake. I have the old boat all loaded and the hooks all sharpened ready for Mr. Musky. I don't know why I get so excited, the odds aren't very good.

Hope you all have a nice evening, as always stay safe!

WS

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12615 on: Jun 03, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Good Afternoon All

Marv, sounds like a solid plan.  I haven't had an eye exam myself for think about 3 years, but nice to know some about the procedure.

See the weather guessers have revised the forecast, and backed down the high temps from the 90's

Might as well go out and water what garden I have in, moisture for today may not happen.
Bud

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12616 on: Jun 03, 2018, 07:39 PM »
mr. c I think that the kids dad only showed up to aggravate his son. The father never showed up at either of the other kids graduations. His son has refused to go visit him for long time. The father probably went to celebrate his graduation as the SS money that went to this son now will go to his new daughter by his second wife after graduation. The jerk never paid child support and got away with it. The daughter never got any money out of him until he went on disability.

He tried to find out what the son with Asperger's has in the bank from is job. That son puts most of the money he earns in the bank so it is quite an amount. The father has had little to do with him because he is not perfect.

The daughter cut herself off from her dad a long time ago. He felt that her involvement with band and music was a waste. She graduated from high school and a 5 year music teaching course in college with high honors. She now teaches music in Arizona, getting high accolades from the school where she works.

I did make enough room in the Escape with only taking one box out of it. It was a tight fit but I made all of the groceries fit. When we stopped to get some dog food I saw a woman in the parking lot selling eggs. When I walked up to her and asked her if I saw green eggs she asked my if I brought the ham. She had some arancana chickens and green eggs for sale as well a some rabbits and goats. I told her I already had green eggs for breakfast as the guy I save egg cartons pays me back with eggs every once in a while and included some green eggs the other day.

When the wife had her first cataract removed I got to watch it done on a video camera. It was fascinating watching the doctor do it.

I watched the weather tonight and there was only one day the weather was guessed to get to 80*. I am not complaining about that!!

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12617 on: Jun 04, 2018, 03:07 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Light rain and a cool 49* this am, high of 61 today. Not certain what the Mrs. did to the computer, but it seems to be firing on all cylinders this morning. Have a good idea my 2 1/2 year old grandaughter may have been responsible as we have caught her moving chairs and " getting into things " .  ;D

Marv..Thank you so much for posting the pictures, really appreciate that Sir!   :thumbsup: :bow:  Looking forward to hearing more about the bear baiting, never have done anything like that before! Best of luck bringing some in and good luck with the Musky fishing tomorrow!  :thumbsup:
  Bud...hope that sunburn is feeling better, banner day on the walleyes, wow!   :clap: :bow:
  Steve...best wishes getting the scan done, hope they can pinpoint the problem and get you well soon!   :thumbsup:  Question...does your employer offer any medical?
  Wally...what a great turnout for the ride, that must have been some parade of bikes going down the road, awesome! Hope you all raised a record amount of $, such a great cause!  Thanks for the pictures!   :clap: :thumbsup:
  Jeff...feel for you with the pains and no meds to relieve them, dang. Couple more days, hopefully that problem will be cured. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers Sir!
  Tom..you asked if I fealt the elevation change....did I ever! We took a short walk on one of the trails, down hill to do a little exploring. We were all out of breath on the walk back..even my children!   ;D

Will be interesting to see if we work today, all of our work is now currently outside. Looks like more rain in the forecast for tomorrow as well. No complaints about the temps, 60's and low 70's all week!   :thumbsup:
  Cawfee's on....no monkey buns Marv, but I see some doughnuts under the dome!   ;D

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12618 on: Jun 04, 2018, 05:10 AM »
UP early to check on a huge ant problem in the kitchen. the wife goes bonkers when they are on the kitchen cupboard. There was a steady string of them coming from along the side of dish washer up onto the counter top. There would be hundreds at a  time on the cupboard. The drops of the numerous cardboard pieces with Tero on them would be encircled with them. She thought that they would just all go away in an instant. I remembered that I had some of the original Tero with arsenic in it in the garage so I put that out as they need to take the poison back to the nest to kill them all off. There are just a few on the cupboard this morning but will have to wait and see what happens when the house warms up later. It's to bad they had to take the arsenic out of Tero because it was being used to kill others by lacing their drinks with it. 

Gas prices took a pretty good drop yesterday from the high $2.90s down to the $2.70's. It was still high in town so I will check on prices over where we are going to drop off all of the clothes this morning.

Eddie I am not surprized that you had trouble with the thin air in the high altitude. Did your wife give the computer a swift kick to straighten it out?

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12619 on: Jun 04, 2018, 05:12 AM »

It's a cool 43* with light rain here on my hill, we had .46* of rain over night. ::)
                               Eddie........I'm glad your wife was able to get rid of the Gremlins. :flex: I hope you get the day in! :blink: :blink:
                               Steve........I sure hope you can get in to a Dr. so you can get that CT scan and find out what's wrong. ???
                               Tom..........That's why I don't do garage sales, you spend all that time and have to put up with some jerks and don't get rid
                      of your stuff. Then you end up giving the stuff away anyway. ::)
                               Bud...........You should know better than go out without sunscreen. :woot: I had cataract surgery, it's a walk in the park. One good
                      thing about it the Dr. can correct your vision at the same time, so you won't need to wear glasses anymore! :thumbsup:
                               Wally.........I'm glad the ride went well, I know the sky didn't look the greatest, at least it didn't rain! :thumbsup:
                               Marv.........You should see some bears real soon, you seem to be doing everything right. :clap:
                               I've tried Tylenol but does little to rid of the pain and today I have therapy this morning. :%$#!: I take Diclofenac for my arthritis.
                               I hope everyone has a good Monday either at work or out fishing.

IW

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12620 on: Jun 04, 2018, 05:41 AM »
I just went to a news site from where my other place is at. They busted a cock fighting ring in the next township over arresting 15 of the 30 that were there plus they impounded a bunch of vehicles.

There was also a bear sighting a couple townships away. That made me remember the phone video the neighbor behind us posted on FB of one that crossed the road a couple miles east of here and climed a tree.

WS A tip for when you are hunting your bait. Put some mini marshmellows down the trails coming into the bait. You will be able to hear them sucking them off the ground as they aproach. Also if you cut down a big hollow tree cut it into 3 foot pieces as they can be used to hold bait. Stake them down good so the bear can not tip them over. A piece of concrete reenforcment wire over the top would keep the bears from cleaning it out to fast. There might even be a market for the pieces to bear hunters.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12621 on: Jun 04, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Morning all,

TT......gas at $2.70   ??? :o send some this way please,  it's $3.10 around here  :%$#!: 

MrC.....sure hope you can find a way to get the tests you need done and get back on the road to recovery soon  ;)

Eddie......"getting into things" is a 2 yo's job  :roflmao:  glad MrsEddie was able to figure it out  :bow:

IW.....this cold damp weather must be a killer  :(  does a heating pad help  ???   good luck with today's therapy  :)

WS.....can't wait to see some trail cam pics of a bear or two  :thumbsup:  good luck landing an elusive musky or two  :flex:  enjoy the r&r, you've certainly earned it sir  ;)2

Looks like around $4,000 was donated from the ride Saturday  :thumbsup: :clap: 

Today is clean the furnace day  :(  not a fun job, but it has to be done each year and a rainy, cool day like today is the perfect time  ;)

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12622 on: Jun 04, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Good Morning Everyone  :bow:

55 with a light wind. Our old buddy Les Humid will be here until late afternoon then he is leaving for a couple of days. The week appears to pretty nice with highs in the low 80's.

Good tip TT with the little marshmallows. I have been on the lookout for a hollow tree but nothing yet. Wisconsin frowns on the use of any metal (wire) plastic or or use of any meat or fish for bait. I want to get the little critters in involved also so they can help spread the word. I am really excited about the hunt, but by no means want to wish the summer away yet.

WW Wow! Great turn out and excellent $$ from donations  :clap: :clap: I still have to clean my stove also :%$#!:

IW only a couple more days and hopefully the pain will be gone :thumbsup:

Eddie I was thinking about adding a few extra pictures with some made up captions but I didn't want you to get mad at me :roflmao: :roflmao: It was my pleasure being able to help you out.

I got my 4 miles in this morning, sprayed 3 apple trees and 3 plumb trees. I noticed the apple trees had little black spots on the fruit so I hope the spray will help.  The trees are loaded so hopefully things will turn out.

I have to wait about an hour for the grass to dry then the yard is next. mr.clean I missed your question the other day about my house washing. Where I cleaned it looks great. I am going to have to rent a lift for the back of the house. I was hoping I could use the ladder but fortunately the 30' one I was borrowing just isn't stable enough. Last week the thing took off sliding on me and I bounced off the ground hard enough that I decided enough of that. I can get a lift for $200  for 24 hours which will work out good. I can finish my house and then do the s-i-l's also.

Hope everyone has a good day :thumbsup: as always stay safe!

WS

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12623 on: Jun 04, 2018, 11:22 AM »
WS Those spots sound like scab. There should be a spray to combat it.  Apple trees require a lot of spraying to combat every thing that attacks them.  I think that apples need another spraying after any amount of rain. If the trees get loaded with fruit and the limbs start to bend bad put saplings with a fork on top so they do not break. I cleaned out a barn one night that belonged to a deceased apple farmer so I could do some repairs it for his widow. We ended up filling a big dump truck with apple tree props. The guy that was going to inherit the property was mad that she was spending His money to do the repairs. She told me she was tempted to take him out of the will. She gave me an old family heirloom chair as she did not want some other relatives to have it as they only showed up at her house when the wanted to borrow some money.

In Michigan you can not use barrels to hold bait on public land but can on private. May be you can find some real hard wood saplings to criss/cross to keep the bears from cleaning out the bait so quick. In Michigan we can not start bating until late summer. We can not use any chocolate for bait as it has been proven bad for cubs. We used to be able to get reject chocolate covered cherries from a local factory. not all of them went for bait. I have bought carts full of out dated pastries but it was a pain to take them out of the package but was worth it.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12624 on: Jun 05, 2018, 03:06 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Clear and cool this am, 46* with a high of 62 today, chance of scattered showers.

Marv...best of luck today with those Muskies!! Sounds like you'll have some nice weather as well, looking forward to your report Sir!   :thumbsup:   Try to keep it under a thousand casts.... ;D
  Jeff...only one more day to go! Hope you had a better nights sleep last evening.  :thumbsup:  How did the therapy go yesterday? 
  Tom...it sounds like you've done a lot of bear hunting! Thanks for sharing your tricks and tips!   :thumbsup: :clap:   What was your most memorable hunt?  Hope you get the ant problem under control, they can be a real nuisance.
  Wally...gas was at $3.30 at some stations out in Vegas, crazy! Hope the furnace clean out went well for you yesterday. Congratulations on the $$ raised with the ride, that's awesome!   :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:

We ended up having the day off yesterday due to the weather. Today shouldn't be much of problem, lots of demolition, so the extra rest will help.
  Played around with the garden in between showers, everything is coming along good so far except the cauliflower for some reason. Open to any tips if anyone wants to share.
  Well, it's that time again...cawfee's on!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12625 on: Jun 05, 2018, 04:32 AM »

It's 45* and clear here on my hill, as Eddie said yesterday was showers on and off. ::)
                       Eddie........My therapist went easy on me yesterday, she understood what I was going through. She did an evaluation of
               my range of movement till pain started, not very good, then she did a hand gripe pressure my left hand could only go to 23 lbs.
               not good at all, my right hand was up to 87 lbs. :whistle:
                       Wally.........Do you oil the inside of your furnace after you clean it out. The manufacturer of mine recommends it and put a
               a plastic pale over the chimney and leave the door open a little? ???
                       Tom...........There are a lot of ways to bait but you seem to have the right formula, do you still bait bear? ???
                       Marv...........I hope it doesn't take the 10,000 cast that Muskies are noted for, good luck sir! :thumbsup: :clap: :flex:
                       Steve.........Any word on getting the test done?
                       I hope everyone has a good Tuesday either at work or out fishing.

IW

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12626 on: Jun 05, 2018, 05:56 AM »
50* a little sun and slight breeze. Mist coming off the water so I am sure it is cooling some. Will get out Wed or Thursday to find out.

Have some things to do around the house today. Have a good one....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12627 on: Jun 05, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Morning all,

IW.....yes oil the inside & leave the door cracked, what's the bucket for  ???  best of luck with tomorrow's surgery  ;)

Eddie....an unexpected day off, how nice  :thumbsup:  hope today goes smoothly for you  :)  can't help with the cauliflower, never planted any  :-\

H2L....good luck when you hit the water again, with the rain & cool temps I imagine the fish have moved since last week  ::)

WS......fingers crossed you're having the fight of a lifetime with a trophy on the end of the line  ;D

Another rainy cool day here, feels more like late March than early April  >:(  Looks like by Thursday things will get back to "normal"  @)

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12628 on: Jun 05, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Shortly after I hit the sack last night I heard rain on the roof. The gueesers were way off again as they guessed the rain to be way south of us. We did not get much but it looked like they may have got quite a bit over at the other place.

IW My left hand is pretty bad as far as grip. I can see why as there is some evident scar tissue from a screwed up surgery.

I have not hunted bear in years as the place I hunted got busted for being the biggest MJ raisers in the UP. I can no longer hunt that property. The last time I hunted there I could not hunt where I usually hunted. Nothing very memorable came from my bear huntig as I never saw a bear but it was fun trying. A few years before the farmers we fixing the pasture fence next to a big corn filed. The native American farm hand went down the fence to look for other problems. He came back running screaming-- BEAR.He jumped in the truck and took off leaving the rest of them behind. He said that the bear was over 400 lbs. The next day he said he had seen a lot of bears and this one was way over 500 lbs. I had seen this bears track and it was huge.

Gas prices have started to drop. Down from 3.19 to $2.90 here. There is a town on my way to the other place that has a continuing gas war. It is down to $2.61 there. I only paid $2.79 at the town 20 miles west when we went to drop the left over stuff from the yard sale at a Christian thrift store. I will be headed to the other place in a few days so I will fill up the van for $2.61.

Our bear tags are on a point system to draw a tag for different units. I have 11 points and I know I will not draw again this year to hunt close to home. One thing I found out years ago is that I will use a shot gun with open sites for bears as the cross hairs on a scope do not show up very good on black as it gets dark. I think it was a rag with anise on it that my hunting buddy hung high on a balsam fir while we were prebaiting. When we came back to actually hunt the tree was totally destroyed.

WS I think it is Lake St Claire that has a lot of Muskies in it.  A lot of trophy muskies are caught and released. The whole east side of the state has a huge amount of walleyes in the waters. Fishermen and women come from all over to fish there.

Eddie I an not remember the tips on raising cauliflower I got from a couple of farmer friends other than tying the tops closed to keep the cauliflower from turning yellow. The deer would nip off the tips of the leaves not helping either. I shot a few deer in our early doe season that were feeding on the leaves in one of the farmers fields. When I was working in a produce department right out of high school there was an old farmer that I bought cauliflower from. He would be lucky to get three in a bushel crate they were so huge.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12629 on: Jun 05, 2018, 07:49 AM »
Good morning everyone, looks like it might be a good day. I hope everyone has a great day and tight lines to those on the water.
Take a kid ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.