Author Topic: IL ice shanty hook us up  (Read 2709 times)

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
IL ice shanty hook us up
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:04 AM »
hey guys I know a lot of you on hear are dreaming and praying of getting on the ice but it can be a reality there is fish able ice within 1-2 hours of most of us in northern IL. I have offered open seats in my truck a couple times if we pair up or group up with the price of fuel and bait split some of the cost then it is not bad to take multiple trips up to fish especially if your like me i will go fishing if it is with someone or buy my self so if we can post on here if you are looking to go or are going and have extra room for some fellow shanty guys to go and split cost  maybe we can all have a great salvaged ice season because I know I try to go at-least 2 time a week  :thumbsup:
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Novak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: IL ice shanty hook us up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:22 AM »

I just went up North with a buddy yesterday.  It was a 2 hour drive and we got there at 7am.  Already had about 30 guys out on the ice and they kept coming steadily.  Ice was 4" all around and stayed pretty solid.  We got off at 1:30 and had managed about 8 small gills by then.  I'm sure today will be crazy out on the ice up there

~Novak

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:24 AM »
hey guys I know a lot of you on hear are dreaming and praying of getting on the ice but it can be a reality there is fish able ice within 1-2 hours of most of us in northern IL. I have offered open seats in my truck a couple times if we pair up or group up with the price of fuel and bait split some of the cost then it is not bad to take multiple trips up to fish especially if your like me i will go fishing if it is with someone or buy my self so if we can post on here if you are looking to go or are going and have extra room for some fellow shanty guys to go and split cost  maybe we can all have a great salvaged ice season because I know I try to go at-least 2 time a week  :thumbsup:

Fishable ice???? Where??? How about safe fishable ice???

Offline stanmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:27 AM »
I was with Novak Friday. Almost 2 hours exactly put us on Monona Bay. Closest "SAFE" ice we could find. We did ok for not knowing the water at all. There are better areas on that bay that were not quite safe. But the ice there is GROWING!
It means a WI license, but a one day is 10 bucks.
Close enough for a one day round trip, and if you team up Like Toadhunter2 suggests, very doable!
Good luck!
BTW it was 3.5-5 inches Friday and should be at least another inch or two now. Holes drilled, were crusting back over Friday with temps at 45.
Northern IL. should be close!

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:27 AM »
 We should be fine in Illinois by the 20th. I know the lakes in the Tomahawk area have a foot or so of Ice. It's almost here. 

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I was with Novak Friday. Almost 2 hours exactly put us on Monona Bay. Closest "SAFE" ice we could find. We did ok for not knowing the water at all. There are better areas on that bay that were not quite safe. But the ice there is GROWING!
It means a WI license, but a one day is 10 bucks.
Close enough for a one day round trip, and if you team up Like Toadhunter2 suggests, very doable!
Good luck!
BTW it was 3.5-5 inches Friday and should be at least another inch or two now. Holes drilled, were crusting back over Friday with temps at 45.
Northern IL. should be close!

I'm headed up on the 13th to holcombe flowage area about 5 hours north for the weekend. They say they have 10"to 12".

We should be fine in Illinois by the 20th. I know the lakes in the Tomahawk area have a foot or so of Ice. It's almost here. 

Thats about right on the ice in Illinois.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:04 PM »
well there are a lot of shallow lake  with 3-5 inches of safe ice to fish on from janesville to Madison most guys are not reporting it because they don't want crap loads of people showing up. every place i have fished in WI there has been no less than 30 guys out fishing on it
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:53 PM »
OK if anyone is interested I am looking at heading out Monday going north of the cheddar curtain

Offline stanmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:50 PM »
A lot will depend on what happens around here, but I was thinking about it also. The weather is the wild card.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:25 AM »
I'll be heading up to Petenwell Flowage (Wis) for a day of Crappie and Whites....Can't wait no longer for ice around here!

Poorboy

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:32 PM »
well truck has to go in to get the 4x4 fixed Monday morning before the next snow storm so may try to go up on wed we will see how Monday pans out

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:16 PM »
If anyone in central IL is planing a trip and have room, let me know. It's killing me not to ice fish. I was going to go to delavan lake this weekend with freinds but everybody had something come up. I have all my own gear, just looking to ride with someone to save on gas. Open to go just about anywhere. I can only go on the weekends cause of work. 
Outdoor nut. Love to hunt, fish, camp.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2012, 03:46 PM »
well after a new set of warn hubs 4x4 is back in action taking a break before i head back out to push some more whits stuff am looking to try and head out Thursday and for sure this weekend

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:57 PM »
well left the house at 5am this morning went up and fished a lake about a hour from my house. I went 5 for 8 on the flags all small pike biggest was 26" also caught a lot of small gills only had about 10 that were keepers but they went back I did not feel like cleaning fish today so jigging was a way to pass the time between flags. looking to go up on Saturday with my boys but that will depend on how much snow we get and if dad gets all the plowing done in time and if not we will be going for sure on sun

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Toad,

I'm guessing that after today (pending snow tomorrow) you won't have to go very far for some decent ice. I'm hoping that the chain will be ready by the weekend, if so I'll try Pistakee for Crops, Stripers and Gills. Good luck to ya...

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline tilesnake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Will go out to shab tomorrow and check on ice thier. I hope some ice either thier or lake sule will be ready.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:38 PM »
well looks like Saturday may be a bust with the snow coming Friday threw sat am so I Will get my plowing done and go sunday and maybe Monday hope my boys aren't to mad

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Will go out to shab tomorrow and check on ice thier. I hope some ice either thier or lake sule will be ready.

Went to Lake sule Monday never tested the ice but it was almost frozen across, A couple spots in the middle still had open water. I hoping to get out sunday If any one would like some company let me know might be safer for all being still early ice.

Offline tilesnake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:15 AM »
its funny, i love sule,but that early ice scares me thier. i might try it sun, at least check it out.would like to see how the stripers are doing.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:44 PM »
plowing done truck loaded heading to WI with the boys

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:31 PM »
hey guys me and ice cub are hooking up on Saturday to do some fishing in WI any body else that wants to come is more than welcome to come daily WI pass is $10 bucks if you don't have one and hey if you are not for quit shire because you don't know us me and the cube have never meet Saturday will be the first time we meet so don't be shy lets just get out and fish  :tipup:

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Have you guys nailed down a lake to fish?

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:48 PM »
I am going up to rock lake up buy Madison flagging tomorrow to scope it out if I have a good day we are going there on Saturday if not then we may hit delevan or a secret lake of mine in WI

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:29 PM »
Should be a great time. :tipup:    :tipup:    :tipup:

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:58 PM »
hey cube I left you a voice mail I know you are at work my phone died on me this afternoon so sorry fishing was not that great had 8 flags and landed 3 Pike 20-23 inches and one break off so tomorrow we are going to try my secret lake get a hold of me

Offline fishingene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Hey tilesnake, Have you had a chance to check the ice at Lake Sule?  I ice fished it a couple years ago and had a blast. Till i got
a little to close to the creek exit area.   There was enough current 20-30 yards away from the out flowing creek to make the ice
break away. We drilled a couple holes close in the morning, by evening all the ice melted into the creek. White bass were the
most active that day. With some crappie and gills tossed back down the holes. Nothing on tip-ups.  Anybody know how Shabbona
is? I know they cancelled rockfest and both of the nite bites they had planned.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.