The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Causeway  (Read 1280 times)

Offline J7

• IceShanty Rookie
Causeway
« on: Jan 03, 2022, 07:04 PM »
Fished Cauesway yesterday  for the first time looking for perch and walleye only to catch one of each.  Is there better water the further up you go?  Only walked about .5 miles out and only found 12 feet of water. Thanks for any info.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Causeway
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2022, 07:14 PM »
I’m not 100% sure on the causeway you are referencing. But it’s worth looking into the fishing reports pages and getting to the thread of the body of water you’re on. Lots of valuable info if you take the time to read through the threads
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Location info helps narrow down where you're at.

Offline Petoskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2022, 10:39 PM »
Fished Cauesway yesterday  for the first time looking for perch and walleye only to catch one of each.  Is there better water the further up you go?  Only walked about .5 miles out and only found 12 feet of water. Thanks for any info.
Walk further. Explore deeper water. Throw everything in your tackle box at them. Drill lots of holes. If you are fishing prime time and aren’t marking any fish, get up and move.

I have certain lures that work really well but in a 1-2 hour span of fishing for eyes and perch on the Causeway I can change my presentation a handful of times.

The causeway is a strange and dynamic place to fish, especially for eyes and perch. Some days you can do real well and others you wonder why you even go back there. You can find them in 5 feet or 50 feet. It’s a fun body of water to explore on your own and find what works for you.
Fern got sick in ‘94 and missed 6 weeks on the hardwater with mono, don’t know what that means but I’ve used braid ever since

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2022, 09:24 AM »
I agree a lot with what Petosky stated above.  It is rough to be very mobile on foot and as the snow piles up, it makes it harder and harder to walk miles dragging all your gear around.  If you have access to a 4-wheeler, quad, or snowmobile that is the best way to be mobile and explore lots of depths and locations in the Causeway.  Good luck out there.

Offline J7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2022, 04:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Do have atv just didn't take it first time on new ice and wasn't sure if depths got better the further you get past the power lines. I will investigate further next time.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2022, 04:44 PM »
You could drive down the arm,setup 15 feet behind the 1st popup you see,blast your sht music and let your dogs eat peoples bait.....that seems to be the mo for newbies this year. ;D   :tipup:
Dont ask

Offline J7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2022, 04:57 PM »
I get were your coming from perchpounder but I like to be off on my own, don't take my dog fishing and don't play shtty music so we should be good. ;)

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2022, 08:25 PM »
I get were your coming from perchpounder but I like to be off on my own, don't take my dog fishing and don't play shtty music so we should be good. ;)
Nothing surprises me any more,best part was they iced zero fish and they drug two sleds all the way down there for nothing  ;D
Dont ask

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2022, 08:29 PM »
Lots of humps and holes down there to explore, plus can catch the almighty burbot too

Offline J7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2022, 09:07 PM »
Seems like a place a guy can go when he gets blown off canyon ferry or Holter like I did yesterday. 

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2022, 09:26 PM »
Take some time to learn it and it'll payoff, might have some fishless days, but you can figure it out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.