The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Kids, Dogs, and Auger Blades  (Read 1400 times)

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
Kids, Dogs, and Auger Blades
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 02:47 PM »
Just a reminder for everyone to cover auger blades when not in use.  On Saturday we had just arrived at our spot and my buddy had just taken the blade guard off my auger when the neighbor's dog came running over for a visit. It hit slick ice and slid right into the blade.  Fortunately wasn't as bad as it could have been.  No doubt that it will be a sore puppy for a while though.  No way we could have prevented it but it was a reminder that it only takes a second for things to go bad with an exposed blade. :(

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Kids, Dogs, and Auger Blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2017, 03:28 PM »
A great reminder.  I'll still occasionally slip up and set down the auger for a minute while rigging up and it scares the heck out of me when I realize I've done that.   :o  The only two safe options are to immediately replace the guard or to bore a partial hole for storing the auger upright in the ice.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:46 PM »

I have read numerous times including multiple stories on Ice shanty stating that this is not good for the auger and those holes are ankle breakers for unsuspecting individuals especially when Mother Nature provides a nice coating of the white stuff. Better to lay it down and put the guard back on it. The conversation on this site a week or so ago regarding those who feel the need to bring their best friend ice fishing with that. Nothing really wrong with that as long as they are well behaved and stay by your side. Way too many hazards for them on the ice, including but not limited to if they decide they need to come to my site and leave me with either yellow or brown snow.   

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:42 PM »
..those holes are ankle breakers for unsuspecting individuals especially when Mother Nature provides a nice coating of the white stuff.
I suspect that's true IF you don't backfill the shavings into the dry hole and tamp down when you're done with it.  Try it.  I think you or "they" may be confusing this with backfilling slush or snow into an open (wet) hole, which is a bad idea with ankle-breaking potential.

...this is not good for the auger...
I suppose if you bored a hole too shallow and leaned the auger at an angle you might bend something but otherwise...um, no.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, and than fish some more!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:27 AM »
I have brought the pups a couple times and have been worried about this myself, I need to be more consistent with replacing the blade guard immediately after digging the hole. Now if only I could find away to stop the dog from getting into my tip ups....

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:18 AM »
BL,

all good points and point taken.   

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:53 AM »
BL, all good points and point taken.

No worries, GFHG.  We all love sharp augers that blast a quick hole in the ice and this thread is such a good reminder that we all need to treat those blades like the muzzle of a loaded gun.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2017, 02:44 AM »
I'm sure many of you have already seen my rant in the "dogs on ice" thread and not to again be the bad guy.  But I shouldn't have to be worried about your dog getting cut by my auger blade.  I shouldn't have to worry about your dog period.  You should worry about your dog because there are a heck of a lot more dangers out there than exposed auger blades.  People that are actively punching holes shouldn't have to hassle themselves with putting the guard on after every hole just in case an uncontrolled dog comes running through.

Offline mac_in_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2017, 04:21 PM »
A guy at sportsmans was telling me he glued magnets to his blade cover so is easy to pop off and on real quick. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.