Author Topic: Ice updates  (Read 164944 times)

Offline hooliganhodgie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice updates
« Reply #60 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:30 AM »
What were you using to catch them?   I was there on Monday , I caught a small perch and one got away. I was using maggots on a jig.
I was using the same. I think the wife had a small rainbow on but it got off, she was also using maggots.

Offline hooliganhodgie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Anyone been out to devil's yet? I've never fished there and don't know how the ice would be with the sturgeon flowing into it.

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:33 PM »
BroadStBullie and I were out at Chain Lakes today. We were working on trying to lower the sucker population. However we did manage to get some nice panfry sized trout.
Ice was 17" thick.. Nice and clear.. a small amount of snow on the lake but nothing a small shovel can't take care of.
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:46 AM »
Skeleton lake almost two feet of ice off the boat launch at the "summer village".  Plenty of snow, made driving on rough. No truck tracks, lots of ski doo tracks.

Cheers!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline captainslug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:11 PM »
How is Cold Lake doing?  What kinda thickness of ice is there???  Was hoping to head out there on the 9th.
Just remember the worst day of fishing is still better than the best day at work!

Offline fishingdrumheller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:19 AM »
What about Crawling valley anyone out that way yet.

Have not been to Crawling valley, Carolside or Blood indian yet. Saw a 1 walk out on Anderson a little south of Drum monday I didnt stop to talk to him because he was all the way at the east end. Ill be out tomorrow to drill holes.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #66 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:18 AM »
any updates on pcr as well. (pine coulee)
thanks
orv.
Hey Orv, Happy New year.

We were last night. To the left of the boat launch not far away from shore and the ( to me ) ice looked about 15 to 18 or so inches thick.

There were a fair amount of people out there. (Also by the bridge on the main road)
    @)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline koho9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:19 PM »
ghost is at 20 1/2 but no fish does anyone have any tips this is my first time going ice fishing  :-\
Boys fish in summer
Real men fish in winter

Offline Chuckster44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Went to fawcett lake on Jan 1,ice thickness is only about 10 inches,on the east side boat launch there is no truck tracks or anything,same as the west side,so I ventured out with my truck,and immediately ran into some flood ice   About 6 inches deep,nothing to worry about except the big blow up right by the shore line by the boat launch,so I only ventured out about 100 yards with the truck and manually pulled the shanty on,I guess no one is brave enough to go across the lake yet,it might be good to go but you would be chancing it,as the ice is not the good clear black ice,seemed pretty soft when punching through with the auger,as soon as someone is brave enough to take a drive across Iam pretty sure everyone up there will jump on the band wagon,with the 2.5 ft of snow up there definatly need 4x4,fishing was not the best,put in a good solid day of fishing and caught about 20 pike ranging from9 to 1 pounders,(aka hammer handles) no perch or walleye,but the chances might of been better if I could cover more ground with vehicle on the ice,lots of action with the pike at least,a couple more weeks and I imagine all the northern lakes will pick up with fishing,just need a little more of cold weather,way too much snow up north insulating the ice and then should be able to travel anywhere!

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:29 PM »
ghost is at 20 1/2 but no fish does anyone have any tips this is my first time going ice fishing  :-\
Ghost is a hard lake to fish had good luck close to shore using maggots on a Mud Bug for whitesfish, and minnow/smelt heads dangling under a Williams Wobbler. all in less than 30 FOW. Try close to the cliffs just past the campground. Been there 4 times this year, only been skunked the first trip.  :tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline Oak Island

• IceShanty Rookie
Wabamun
« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:32 PM »
20+ inches of SOLID clear ice.  Very safe.

Offline lifesagarden

• IceShanty Rookie
Mons, Hanmore, North Buck, Long Island Lake (s)
« Reply #71 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:48 PM »
Mons Lake had 10 - 12 inshes of ice and could drive on easily with a 4x4
Hanmore didn't have any signs of ice fishing or driving on the lake (though it had snowed)
North Buck had a 10 - 12 inches with 3 inches flood water lots of snow coverage as well.
Long Island Lake had 10 inches of ice with 1-2 inches of flood water and to much snow to bother trying to drive on.

Offline koho9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:54 PM »
Ghost is a hard lake to fish had good luck close to shore using maggots on a Mud Bug for whitesfish, and minnow/smelt heads dangling under a Williams Wobbler. all in less than 30 FOW. Try close to the cliffs just past the campground. Been there 4 times this year, only been skunked the first trip.  :tipup: :icefish:

hey thank you very much i will try there this week ;D
Boys fish in summer
Real men fish in winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:46 AM »
Did not make it out. foiled again. hope everyone had a good day out that went.

Offline drhu22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:43 AM »
hey thank you very much i will try there this week ;D

We used to have good luck for WF off the west tip of the island towards the east end using wire worms and russian hooks with maggot or two. Hang the hook horizontally and fish near bottom to 2 feet up. It drops off fast there so you fish quite close to shore. Keep a fresh maggot on at all times, not longer than 15 20 minutes.

Offline DaCrunch

• IceShanty Rookie
South buck lake
« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Anyone been out too south buck by the north west
Boar launch? How much ice? How much snow? Any flood water?

Offline icemania

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im gonna miss her!
« Reply #76 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:21 AM »
I talked to some guys that were netting at buck said a solid 18" of ice

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Spray Lake 24" of solid ice today.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #78 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Yo " BB" LOL ... your mail box is full ...LOL..
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:01 AM »
Yo " BB" LOL ... your mail box is full ...LOL..

woops....not now!
I guess you have to delete after 20??

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:32 AM »
Spray Lake 24" of solid ice today.
Have any luck at Spray? Haven't made it out there this season yet. :tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Have any luck at Spray? Haven't made it out there this season yet. :tipup: :icefish:

Not a bad day at all. ;D

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:49 PM »
I suppose now that the ice is generally thick enough in most areas we should switch this topic to "How Freakin Deep Is The Snow On Your Lake". I envy all of you with machines that will allow you to get out there in the deep snow cover. I guess I'll be walking on or waiting for some warm weather to melt it some.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:20 PM »
I suppose now that the ice is generally thick enough in most areas we should switch this topic to "How Freakin Deep Is The Snow On Your Lake". I envy all of you with machines that will allow you to get out there in the deep snow cover. I guess I'll be walking on or waiting for some warm weather to melt it some.

just depends where ya go I guess...the few lakes I have seen this season I have seen very little snow on the lakes....most so far 4-6" for me

Offline koho9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:10 PM »
I'm thinking of taking of taking the family out fishing but some of the young one will get put off if its a bad trip. i live in Calgary, do you guys know of anywhere that we are sure of catching some fish and what to use  :icefish: any help is great

thanks
Boys fish in summer
Real men fish in winter

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:31 PM »
I'm thinking of taking of taking the family out fishing but some of the young one will get put off if its a bad trip. i live in Calgary, do you guys know of anywhere that we are sure of catching some fish and what to use  :icefish: any help is great

thanks
Chain lakes for trout is usually a good bet to catch something... it's not too terribly far and they usually hit on shrimp tipped glowing things, although I heard last time i was there that power bait was the way to go.
Last time i was there, pink shrimp on a yellow head glow jig got me 4 nice panfries

- Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline koho9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Chain lakes for trout is usually a good bet to catch something... it's not too terribly far and they usually hit on shrimp tipped glowing things, although I heard last time i was there that power bait was the way to go.
Last time i was there, pink shrimp on a yellow head glow jig got me 4 nice panfries

- Shackless

thanks shackless i will give that a try ;D
Boys fish in summer
Real men fish in winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Finally got out to Carolside/Berry creek dam. 5 keepers at 28 inches long, nice fat bellys and one throw back cause it was 22 inches. 3 of us thank god because there was about a foot of snow on the ice. had to park up top near the dam and walk down. Bring your snow machines or at least a pull sled. The snow has made the top ice really soft and wet. I sunk in about 5-6 inches into slushy water at several points. otherwise, a good day. over 2 feet of good thick ice.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #88 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:56 AM »
lots of water on the lakes i have been to as of late.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline GETFSHN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:57 AM »
pigeon 8" Pigeon and Gull are over two feet thick all over!!
Fishing is an attitude especially when you have a 112 lb. halibut at the other end of the line two hundred feet down!

There was never a fish hatched I couldn't outsmart.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.