Author Topic: tip-ups  (Read 2649 times)

Offline perchfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
tip-ups
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 03:20 PM »
can anyone share their advice at what depth to place the bait when deadsticking for big pike in about 20' of water? i have only set a few tip ups before with herring but had no luck whereas i seen others pulling 15 pounders +. some say 2" from the bottom; others say a few feet under the ice. at what depth have you had most success?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2009, 03:25 PM »
gotta find your groove...diff columns on diff lakes, just experiment and you'll get em.  diff depths as well as diff baits.  have had two tipups about 50 yrds across, smelt on one - herring the other, and although i personally thought the herring looked the best, i only had hits on the smelts.  good luck.

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2009, 05:41 PM »
I never had much luck with herring, other guy's like them. I use 6 to 10in smelts. hard to find sometimes. I hang them 1-2 feet above bottom, no matter how deep it is. I've caught pike in 20 feet and in 6 feet of water.My biggest pike so far was 27 lbs.

Offline perchfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2009, 07:54 PM »
thanks for the advice. i will try closer to bottom. and that 27lb must have made the day!

Offline fishinhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2009, 11:29 PM »
Pike are not bottom feaders!

Stay up at least 4 feet in 20 feet !  5- 10  from bottom depending on surrounding terrain.

10 feet say up 3 at least unless you love the burbot.

Watch your flasher it will show you where the pike are generally cruising.  Don't have one ... go buy one.

Offline Natwild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:15 AM »
in my opinion pike are feeders where ever they decide to feed.  the majority of big pike I have caught in winter have been 1 to 2 feet off the bottom no matter what the depth.  not all will agree on this but it works for me.  my advice is set at different depths and see which one works for you.  confidence in your setup is the most important.  good luck to you i'm sure you will find your groove.

natwild

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2009, 11:47 AM »
I've never caught a burbot on a tip-up. I have caught them jigging for walleye towards dark.

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:17 PM »
I usually set mine up on bottom with a 3oz pyramid sinker and the line runs through the eyelet of the sinker to create a free running line.  In my experience, pike are always up for a free meal and it doesn't seem to matter at what depth I place the bait...on bottom or a couple feet up doesn't seem to change the hook up ratio.  The odd burbot is just an added bonus!
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline oldmanschild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:16 AM »
really pants?....i have never done that. i do that sort of doohiky in summer for carp etc.and that works good for u? do u use a floater of some sort on your bait or jus leave it on the bottom?crazy i might try that for dogs but i gess if pike are hittin thats good for me! but i would usually do the same as natwild at least a foot off the bottom!

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:37 PM »
really pants?....i have never done that. i do that sort of doohiky in summer for carp etc.and that works good for u? do u use a floater of some sort on your bait or jus leave it on the bottom?crazy i might try that for dogs but i gess if pike are hittin thats good for me! but i would usually do the same as natwild at least a foot off the bottom!

Seems to work out at LML, may not work everywhere but I have got quite a few large pike right on bottom...I guess it is just trial and error. Have fun!  :)
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline oldmanschild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2009, 04:34 PM »
cool man thats where ill be going in the middle of march or end. ill give that a try hopefully get into the 20 lb'ers again and get a picture this time!!..

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:42 PM »
I read somewhere that pike will scavange dead fish off the bottom, I can see catching them like that. I just never tried it tho. On a rocky bottom I would think a pike or any other fish would have to be pretty much right on top of it to see it. On a sandy bottom they should see it from further away. I like to hang my smelt 1 or 2 feet off bottom so as many fish as possible can see it. Also by using the biggest bait as possible, it keeps alot of the hammerhandles from biting.

Offline perchfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:28 PM »
ok, thanks to all for the great advice! now to just get away again and try my luck

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Make sure you use a good quality long leader.Good luck with your fishing.

Offline steadyrippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2009, 05:51 PM »
i cant seem to get my smelt to sink can anyone help me out

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2009, 05:59 PM »

Try thawing your smelts out the night before in the refrigerator.  That usually works good for us!
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline steadyrippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:40 PM »
k thanks ill give that a try

Offline oldmanschild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:39 AM »
yeah i always put them in a jar of water when i leave home to go out..that way there thawed...

Offline SK-PikeHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SDFT. Saskatchewan Drinking and Fishing Team
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2009, 01:48 AM »
Thaw them out in the fridge, but if your heading out right after picking up the bait, high heat on defrost and throw them on there, works every time.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:25 AM »
Try this next trip out.I toss a handful of frozen Smelt into an open hole first thing.They will thaw sitting in the water in either your warm shelter or out in the open.After the Smelt thaw out a bit gently squeeze the air out of the bladder,you can feel it as happens or take a hook/jig and puncture the bladder a few times.The Smelt will now sink down the hole unweighted.Depending on how active the Pike are keep adding some frozen Smelt to the hole to unthaw as the day progresses.

Offline fishinhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2009, 11:12 AM »
stick a nail in them.

Offline keen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:16 PM »
Portugese sardines work very well for pike. You can buy them from Safeway or Super-Value.A bullet sinker will give the weight needed to sink them.If your bait isn`t thawed out a coating of ice will form on the bait and fish won`t bite.

Offline fishinhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:34 PM »
I would rather see an iron nail used than a lead bullet sinker.  The nail will rust away but the lead  is just more ammo for the tree huggers!

Offline slough shark savvy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2009, 12:03 AM »
Hold the smelt or whatever you use (belly up) under the water when squeezing the air out. When the bubbles stop, send er down. Must be thawed.

Offline JackHammer09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:20 PM »
What type of line do you guys generally prefer to use on your tip ups... also do you guys use a steel leader or do you tie your line directly to the quick strike/treble hook?

Offline heiner39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2009, 03:44 PM »
What type of line do you guys generally prefer to use on your tip ups... also do you guys use a steel leader or do you tie your line directly to the quick strike/treble hook?

I attach my line to my homemade quickstrikes using a Stabor Line Lock (http://www.stabor.com/).  My dad has been using these for a few years now and he guarantees the line will break or the hook will straighten out before the Line Lock fails.  I lost a few fish due to knot failure so my dad put me onto these and they certainly work.  They have all sorts of different sizes too.  Super easy to use too.  Oh and I use a dacron or teflon coated braided line.  I like the Mason tip-up line.  Seems to work well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.