Author Topic: where @ buffalo pond should i fish for pickeral  (Read 1633 times)

Offline clysdale

• IceShanty Rookie
where @ buffalo pond should i fish for pickeral
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:19 PM »
gonna be up there on friday,, wheres been good for walleye and jack, havnt fish there for about 3 years, the cozway by the highway use to be good for jak, iknow my way around the lake pritty good, thanx ill be in a red dodge with a black ice fishin tent

Offline firecat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: where @ buffalo pond should i fish for pickeral
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:37 PM »
goodluck,my son and I was there yesterday, not even a nibble.  not much of anything being caught there. odd pike but havent heard of anything else

Offline Novy12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:48 PM »
If I were you I would drive right past buffalo pound lake and go to long lake.  Buffalo pound sucks in the winter nobody is cathin anything.  You might get the odd jack at lonys or by the cozway.  But as for the pickeral.............. ......good luck,  i do not know were they go in the winter but they don't bite.  anyways good luck, 

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:49 PM »
and you would have to head down south to get pickeral south of the border that is.
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:37 PM »
The only good time for fishing buffalo has been in the sping in your boat.  We use to crush perch when I was a kid then they filled the lake with eyes - been slow in the winter since they took off.
Blake from Elbow

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:45 AM »
GGGGGGGGG so neg about bp, I have heared its the best year ever for jack. As for perch u need to head to the pumping station. Bring 3 or 4 kinds of bait and dont keep in one spot. 20 yards to the left makes the differance between no fish or your limit. Thats why they call it fishing not shopping.I find the more you fish one lake the more fish you get. If you want jack go north of the cozway:tipup:

Offline Novy12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:06 AM »
The jack were biting first ice but they have slowed down.  I know guys that fish there every weekend and they haven't even had a bite in three weeks. at first ice they were limiting out on pike.

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:45 AM »
Its been a couple of weeks for me so maybe the fishing has got slow. But the fish are there and if you want to move around and find them they will bite.I think the fun of fishing is also in the hunt.Also the weather is going to be a bit nicer (warm plus 5) so maybe it will get the fish going.I just think its a waste to drive a long way to fish when i can drive 15 mins and get a 20 lbs plus jack or limit out on perch.A have a gas auger now so i can drill as many test holes as i want. When you ice fish you can have 2 lines in the water so just leap frog them about 20 yrds apart until you find the sweet spot it might take 5mins or 5 hours but you will caught fish if you have a buddy with you you can have 4 lines in the water so if you change holes every 1/2 hour you can cover a lot of lake in 5 hours. Dont get me wrong i love fishing elbow,the dead sea,and the chains put time is a issue with me (WIFE). I can drive to bp fish for 5 hours and be home by 4pm. She likes to fish in the summer we go out almost ever weekend in the boat but she hates the cold. Plus im scared of her ha ha.

Offline heiner39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:00 PM »
I hate to say it but I've fished the Pound for years and haven't had much luck on hardwater or during the summer.  I've heard that there is an incredible amount of fish in that lake (not sure I buy that one) and the reason they don't bite is that they have a constant source of food and aren't under pressure to feed.  Not sure how to take that one but could be possible.

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:03 AM »
pulled out alot of 15-25 lbs pike throughthe ice over the years on the pound but have never managed to ice an eye there.... hammered the eyes all spring though.

Offline Novy12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2009, 08:28 AM »
I have a cabin right on buffalo pound lake,  The fishing in the spring is amazing, tons of eyes,  they bite all day and almost every day.  that lake is full of fish.  as for limiting out on perch................. .......good luck, you would be lucky to catch one!!  The limit on buffalo pound is 10 perch for a reason,  they are not that plentiful.  anyways i don't want to discourage you too much, buffalo pound is a great lake, just not that great in the winter.  Like I said before, prob the only thing you will catch out there in the winter is jacks and maybe the odd burbot. let me know how you do though snakehead.  Good luck.

Offline clysdale

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:12 PM »
well i know a couple spots by  thecozway and we were in about 6 feet of water and were pulling out a jack every 35 minutes and even a couple 25 pounders, they can be hit and miss but has been a couple years since i did the winter there, think a guy has to be very open to structure to find the eyes and perch, was thinking of trying right by the boat launch in the provincial park, usally do exelent there in the summer and i know there is stucture there cause i have lost some good hooks there, hope to se ya guys out there, keep the lines tight and thanx for the help my fishin bros

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2009, 12:11 PM »
I went out last night for about  4 hrs, it was slow but managed 1 jack about 5lbs had to keep ,it downed the hook. After work tonight im going back out to try my luck. :tipup:

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Has anyone been catching eyes and persh at bp

Offline snakehead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2009, 01:05 PM »
I went fishing at bp on friday (slow) 1 jack 3 lbs. Later in the day i had perch or wallys pulling at my bait.

Offline GrampaRam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:37 PM »

Buffalo is eithor snooze or all in an hour like a couple of weeks ago just east from Buffalo Camp Ground
BE GOOD TO YOUR GRANDCHILDREN THEY WILL HAVE TO HELP YOU INTO THE 4X4 SOMEDAY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.