Author Topic: My problem with ice cleats  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
My problem with ice cleats
« on: Oct 06, 2019, 07:57 PM »
My problem  with ice cleats  is that I can't seem to find any big  enough.  I wear size 14 boots.  Winter boots are bulky to begin with and the cleats I have ordered always seem to be too small to fit over them.  So halfway accross the ice .they fall off. 
I can't  be the only guy with big feet--  what cleats do you use ?

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My problem with ice cleats
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Try the biggest size from sportsmen’s direct. If those don’t work ur pry out of luck. They fit my buddies 13. They are awesome too. Hope they fit for you.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Get a foot reduction?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:15 PM »
My problem  with ice cleats  is that I can't seem to find any big  enough.  I wear size 14 boots.  Winter boots are bulky to begin with and the cleats I have ordered always seem to be too small to fit over them.  So halfway accross the ice .they fall off. 
I can't  be the only guy with big feet--  what cleats do you use ?

I had the same issue wear a size 13 but I found Korkers that are great. My buddy wears a size 14 I think he has extra large yak traks
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:23 PM »
Ive got kahtoolas xl on my 14s muck arctic pros.fit nice and snug the way they are supposed to fit.also on my 13s mickeys which are bigger than the mucks.

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:25 PM »
I wear a 14 Baffin boot, which is pretty big.  The Kahtoola XL's fit great.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:31 PM »
Check into eBay or Amazon.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:41 PM »
 Also look at eagle claw ice creepers XL according to the size chart fits to 13 and only $20.00
 I got my LG micro spikes over my size 12
 My micro spikes are over 12 years old and are still in great shape and still use them on my lacrosse  , but the new ones aren’t as well made,  I sent back a new pair last year after comparing the 2
 Hill sound also makes a good cleat
 Went with racing spikes in my trans Alaskans

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Kahtoolas in the size XL will fit. They will stretch some but they will fit. And as an added bonus, they are the best ice cleats on the market.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2019, 05:52 AM »
The XL Kahtoolas Microspikes fit my boots, best cleats out there.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Just one more challenge in life for those of us with large body parts. The Kahtoolas are top of the line, of course, in no small part because of the bumper to bumper warranty that

comes with them. They can afford to replace as many as 5% of them, no questions asked, because their up front sell price is so much higher than the competition. There are some

Chinese knockoffs on Ebay that have worked well for many but without the sticker shock. Don't know about the bigger sizes though. For you purists, Kahtoolas are made in

Thailand, or were last year. 

Personally, I've gotten away from the crampon style like the Kahtoolas. They make me stomp around like Godzilla, no heel/toe action. I went to screw-in hardened studs and they

worked well for me last season.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2019, 08:37 AM »
the style of cleats for me depends on how much snow is on top of the ice and how well it is sticking. For glare ice I like the slip on style with the small tungsten spikes, when the snow starts building up I switch to a cramp on style.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Choose one the solutions presented above, or just walk REAL SLOW on the ice, you know, that old-man shuffle step....

Hope you find a pair that fits well and last long!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2019, 12:37 PM »
Walking real slow, (shuffle step), is NOT a very good option! Take it from a guy who had his bell rung, (knocked out), on glare ice. Find a pair of cleats that fit and wear them!!!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2019, 12:58 PM »
The XL Kahtoolas Microspikes fit my boots, best cleats out there.
(Image removed from quote.)
I also have size 13 ice boots and the XL Kahtoolas Microspikes fit my boots just fine.  But there is one problem, and it was my fault, I left the Microspikes on my boots over the Summer and the rubber broke.  So I went and bought another pair and I remove them at the end of each ice season now.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2019, 01:35 PM »
stinkyfingers agree 100%

Ive always been a screw in the shoe (or boots in this case) guy until last year, I got new boots and didn't wanna put screws in them just yet. I have chinese knock off Kahtoolas and beat the heck out of them. One of the chains tore from the rubber but they still wear and work nicely. I'll end up just putting screws in these boots like i have for years and years - mostly because walking in kahtoolas sucks.

Catchin' Fish

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I am a big fan of StabiLicers Cleats. The best I have ever had. Nothing else compares in my opinion..

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Like many questions. Your going to get lots of opinions. I and I say (I) have a good experience with Kahtoolas. One guy says there made in Thailand, one guy says the Chinese knock offs are fine, one guy says Kahtoolas suck, and so on and so on!my advice is look at some different ones and see if there is a store or stores in your area and try them on. If you have to order online checkout the return policy. I am size 12, got a pair of XL Kahtoolas and on one pair of boots and had to really work to get them on the boots. Put them on another set of boots and they were sloppy loose.so bought another set in Lg. Fit good on that pair didn’t come close to fitting on the other. Good luck and don’t do the old man shuffle!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2019, 03:46 PM »

FLYBoyRoy I don't know where you are from but a lot of tackle shops carry cleats, I like the Kahtoolas Micro spikes try to go on line and find out if there is a shop near you
              that carries them, Take your boot in to see if they fit!

IW

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2019, 04:17 PM »
I use the Katolas on my size 13 boot too.  I don’t mind walking in them. 

One suggestion I have not seen.......try a pair of rubber slip over boots like Tingleys.  I have a pair in XXL that have small spikes on the bottoms, they would probably slip right over a nice pair of warm winter boots and offer some added traction on ice.  Not as much as the Katolas, but better than nothing!

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Size 14 Baffins and the Sportsmen Direct ice hopper creepers fit me perfect
"Balance in all things"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2019, 04:50 PM »
  it’s a good thing we have choices  ;)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2019, 06:17 PM »
I wear size 14 boots also and the cheats I have are the HT Omni Tech Super Stud Sandals and don't have any problems with them coming off and they come in XL size which is what I have.  The one thing that I did to keep the studs from working loose from walking is I put a drop of the blue removable Lock-Tight on them and they never came loose.  I don't know if I had to do that or not but I did it when I first got them just in case. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2019, 07:26 PM »
I rassled with cleats for a while. Of course this was like 40 years ago... I bought into a pair of inexpensive, general purpose cleats. Arctic Spurs I think they were called. Basic cheapie instep spikes fastened by some cool green fluorescent latex rubber tubing. Tubing didn't last barely three years. I kept the spikes part and replaced the latex tubing with natural latex tubing. Got two more years...  ::)

Still kept the spikes but replaced the latex tubing with 3/8" bungee. Wow, I did that probably 20 years ago and I'm still using them. that said, they do not fit well on my newer Cabelas Trans Alaskans. Time to upgrade. What's that mean? It means I'm cutting off the existing bungee and replacing with new in dimensions to better fit my current boots. Cost? Less than $2...

Just me.

I did buy into a  bag of ColdCutter screws but I haven't gone there just yet. That would mean I couldn't/shouldn't walk into anywhere with a decent floor in 'em. I'm still thinking about that.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2019, 07:36 PM »
I rassled with cleats for a while. Of course this was like 40 years ago... I bought into a pair of inexpensive, general purpose cleats. Arctic Spurs I think they were called. basic cheapie instep spikes fastened by some cool green fluorescent latex rubber tubing. Tubing didn't last barely three years. I kept the spikes part and replaced the latex tubing with natural latex tubing. Got two more years...  ::)

Still kept the spikes but replaced the latex tubing with 3/8" bungee. Wow, I did that probably 20 years ago and I'm still using them. that said, they do not fit well on my newer Cabelas Trans Alaskans. Time to upgrade. What's that mean? It means I'm cutting off the existing bungee and replacing with new in dimensions to better fit my current boots. Cost? Less than $2...

Just me.

I did buy into a  bag of ColdCutter screws but I haven't gone there just yet. That would mean I couldn't/shouldn't walk into anywhere with a decent floor in 'em. I'm still thinking about that.
geez esox 40 year old cleats?surprised your not walking on saber tooth tiger claws with mammoth hide strips for fasteners.lol jk  ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Home made galvanized steel and barbed wire... LOL.  A few rope strands to tie on.  Hated the frozen knots...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2019, 08:17 PM »
You're funny guys! Really, I'm just a cheap smack that doesn't wanna do a highland fling...  ;D

Besides, if it ain't broke why do I need to fix it?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Thank you all, gentlemen.  I never dreamed there would be this much chatter on the shanty in October, but I appreciated the feedback.  Dr speck- I have those arctic muck boots in size 14 as well.  That is exactly what I was trying to fit them on.  I'll  probably order me a pair of them kahoontas !!

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Thank you all, gentlemen.  I never dreamed there would be this much chatter on the shanty in October, but I appreciated the feedback.  Dr speck- I have those arctic muck boots in size 14 as well.  That is exactly what I was trying to fit them on.  I'll  probably order me a pair of them kahoontas !!
  If you catch a sale, you can get them for $45 at Kittery Trading Post when they run a sale. Free shipping on your first order I believe.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 08, 2019, 12:37 PM »

I fired in a bunch of hex-head screws. I don’t get to walk indoors on the hardwood floors, but they work pretty well on ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.