Author Topic: Underwater cams vs. Sonar?  (Read 4528 times)

Offline Jiggernaut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Underwater cams vs. Sonar?
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:39 AM »
I'm looking at purchasing either a sonar flasher or an underwater camera for my ice fishing adventures (can't do both...too much $!!!), and was looking for input from fellow fishermen as to which they think is best.

Thanks! :'(

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
Re:Underwater cams vs. Sonar?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:21 AM »
I have a aqua-view and think its a good investment but for the dollar and all around performance I would buy a vexilar. In murky water --my camera isn't the best -- it really doesn't help with fish location -- It is awesome for shallow water perch, crappie, gills, etc., but not the best for deep water or suspended fish. U need both --
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2003, 12:04 PM »
i have both a vexilar fl-18 and an aqua-vu mcs-120 and if it were one or the other, i would get the sonar, hands down, no choice...the sonar is a much more valuable tool to the efficient ice fisherman...however, the camera is just plain fun.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2003, 12:23 PM »
Bigred hit it right on the head.  The vex is a much better tool for ice fishing. Use can use it day or night, regardless of the water clarity.  It will definitely improve your catch rate.

The camera is a toy for those days with the kids or for those perfect, bright days when your camera will give you clear pictures.  You still won't see the entire water column but it is kind of cool to watch how the fish react to your presentation.  Best thing to do is to borrow someone's camera, use it for a few days to see how the fish react to how you jig...then buy the vex to locate the fish that you now, know how to catch.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2003, 12:46 PM »
Sonar.

I fish a lake for both splake and lake trout.  The lakers are usually near the bottom in 100 to 120 feet.  The splake are at 42 feet.  I can be on the bottom jigging for the lakers, and see a splake swim by at 42 feet with the sonar.  I reel up, and fish for the splake.  Or if I'm getting some action on splake and see a laker on the bottom, I drop my jig to the bottom.  Show me a camera that can show me the water at 42 feet, and 100 and 120 at the same time.

My sonar has an alarm that will let me know there is a fish there. Even if I've only got one eye open.

And if you were to have that camera at 120 feet, and you hook a good sized laker, can you get the camera out of the way before the fish gets tangled up in the cord?

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2003, 12:49 PM »
It really depends on the body of water you're fishing. If you know where the fish typically are on the body of water you are fishing then why waste your time with sonar? I have an Aqua-Vu with the lights and I use it @ night, merky water etc. and it's GREAT! There is alot you can learn with the camera that the sonar does not offer. For ice fishing, fishing familiar waters, Aqua-Vu gets my vote.

acsacmboy

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 01:45 PM »
sonar likea vex, marcum, or zercom.  i have a zercom. best investment ever

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2003, 01:50 PM »
I may be nuts, but the comparison of sonar to underwater pictures is unfair to both. It's like comparing steak & potatoes to a piece of pie.
I have both the AquaVu and the FL-18. Generally speaking, if catching fish is what it's all about for you, the sonar is the best choice. The only time the AquaVu has helped me to put more fish on the ice was when the bite was so slight you could neither feel it or see it in the line or rod tip. Then you can watch the fish and site hook 'em.
If putting fish on the ice is secondary, and you're more interested in the overall ice fishing experience, then I would consider the camera. Nothing has added more fun to my ice fishing. Very interesting to observe the fish and how they react to different lure movements. I know you get the same results by watching the flasher and figuring which jigging methods are working today, but nothing beats seeing it.
By the way if you take kids out with you the camera keeps them interested all day long.
Which ever one you get this year, you will want the other next year.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2003, 02:48 PM »
A Camera is not only to look at the bite. You will be able to physically find structure, weed edges, drop offs etc. Some of these are so subtle that a sonar would not pick it up. I found rock piles in the middle of lakes that did not show up on a sonar. Aqua-Vu is still my choice. Once again depending on the type, size, of the lake and what species your after. Example if you targeting Big Pike a sonar is pretty useless unless you happen to be directly over it. I would rather drill a few holes and drop a camera down and place my tip-ups in high percentage area.

Offline Jiggernaut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:36 PM »
Thanks a ton guys for the input.  I broke down last night and bought a Vexilar...heading out tomorrow to test it out.  It sounds like there are great merits to both, but overall I think that the flasher is the best way to go.  I have a friend that has a camera, and I'm anxious to see it in the works, but after hearing all of your comments I decided to go with the Vex.

Happy fishing, and good luck! :'(

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:24 AM »
you wont regret it :)

Minim

« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2004, 11:44 AM »
 ;D  Nothing beats a Vexilar FL18!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2004, 08:32 PM »
Yeah I bought the FL-18 2 years ago and I didn't regret it. I broke down last year and bought an Aqua-vu. Love it too. We always want what we don't have. ;D

acsacmboy

« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2004, 08:46 PM »
good decision ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.