Author Topic: portable shanty  (Read 11950 times)

Offline fctyson0

• IceShanty Rookie
portable shanty
« on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:01 PM »
hello all i am in the market for a portable shanty.i would like to get a list of the top of the line made portables made.price is not a big concern.

thanks  fctyson0

Offline canoesota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Got my mojo working"
Re: portable shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:31 PM »
Best all around choice is Clam or Otter. Both manufactures make excellent products.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:33 PM »
Assuming that you have a truck or suv to haul it in, I personally am a fan of the clam fish trap series.  They are flip up, have built in seats that arent too bad after a long day, and will haul all your gear within them to go on the ice.  Their material is top notch for blocking out the wind.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:18 AM »
Clam Corp Fish Traps are a very good choice. Comfortable seating and heavy duty material that will last. I've had a few over the years and have had no complaints. Very well made.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:38 AM »
im picking up my clam corp fish trap guide Friday in oswego... ive used them before and there great!!
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 01:05 AM »
hello all i am in the market for a portable shanty.i would like to get a list of the top of the line made portables made.price is not a big concern.

thanks  fctyson0

I think Otter still has a great deal going on for their Den (1 man) if that's what your looking for. It's a closeout special so it's only going on until their gone. I bought one...now I'm just waitin' fer the ice!!!!.... ;D..WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Drewbonic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:11 AM »
I have a Clam - Dave Genz Scout Trap. (flipover style) -  I'm not sure what size you are looking for, but I like mine a lot. I have a co - worker who bought an Otter, and he really likes it. He has told me that they have great customer service also. I usually seek out the Genz products for a few reasons: 1. He's a Minnesota boy, so I'm Biased. 2. You can't really go wrong when you listen to the Godfather of modern ice-fishing!
Good luck finding the right shanty, and Good Fishing!

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:29 AM »
I use the clam 6800 it is supposed to be a 4 man shack but with all the gear in which a fisherman can take to the ice these days its perfect for 2 guys and cams or vex's table and chairs
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Danny Boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pêcheur d'Esox
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I use the clam 6800 it is supposed to be a 4 man shack but with all the gear in which a fisherman can take to the ice these days its perfect for 2 guys and cams or vex's table and chairs
Very comfy for two people.  Not to mention the link options that are available if your friends get one.

Offline fctyson0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:04 AM »
thanks for the replys all.i have a truck trailer and can-am 8oo atv to tow it with.now would you  all recomend a clam type or a portable house type with a floor?i want to be able to spend the day in it fishing with tipups or move from location to location looking for perch.also like the optin to put most of my gear in it when in transport.

thanks again  fctyson0

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:17 PM »
Fish Trap is the way to go, I wouldnt trade mine for anything
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors

Offline fctyson0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:38 PM »
what is a good price to pay 4 a 2 man

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2007, 06:23 PM »
I like my Frabill so far....haven't had it on the ice yet but I can already tell its much better than my returned HT Polar Escape.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:30 PM »
If you want a light 2 man you want the fish trap guide. If you want a one man the Fish trap Pro, a large 2 man the Yukon or Voyager. Questions you must answer: How many fishing? Do you want a light shanty for mobility or will you sit in one place alot? Is weight an issue? Will you be towing it onto the ice or pulling it?
The guide is nice because you can fish 2 and 1 is great.

Good luck

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:41 PM »
Clam, Clam, and then there's always a Clam.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2007, 01:18 AM »
I like the Eskimo QuickFish 3, I also have a Northlander by Canvas Craft, both are good shanty's, but the Northlander is a little akward to handle by yourself.  Just my $.02

Darkhouse

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2007, 03:09 AM »
Not to big, not to small - Fish Trap Yukon! 2 adults 1 Kid comfortably.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:07 AM »
I like the Eskimo QuickFish 3, I also have a Northlander by Canvas Craft, both are good shanty's, but the Northlander is a little akward to handle by yourself.  Just my $.02

Darkhouse

I like mine as well. Pro's and Con's?

Con's: it's not as quick to setup and move as a flip over
They don't have a floor (easily remedied with some foam excercise matts that offer plenty of insulation from the ice and warm up the interior nicely)

Pro's: weighs 23 lb's and is compact (will fit in trunk of car).
Offers more room than a typical flipover 70x70x80 plus inches tall
The price is very reasonable
They handle high winds wonderfully and can be set up by yourself

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2007, 07:47 PM »
I was going to buy the Eskimo Quickfish 3, but opted for the Shappell IceHouse 6000 instead.  Same basic specs as Quickfish 3, but has a completely black interior and is flame and burn retardant.

I believe the cost was $15 dollars more than the Quickfish 3.

As last5oh_302 said, these tents really hold up well...

I would definitely recommend this Shappell or the Quickfish 3.

Here is the write-up:

Shappell Icehouse 6000
The All New IceHouse 6000 from Shappell features: 300D Polyester Fabric. Solar Heating. Blackout Interior for Viewing Fish. Tent Fabric is Windproof, Waterproof, Lightproof and Fire Retardant to CPAI-84 Specs. Large Door with Heavy Duty Zipper. Hub Frame System-Quick Set Up and Take Down. Four Removable Windows w/Shades. Two Mesh Side Vents for Ventilation. Back Pack Carrying Case Included. Reflectors for Night Safety. ID Holder. Ice Anchors Included. Size: 72" x 72" x 84" High. Weight: 25 lbs. One Year Warranty.

shawno  8)

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:00 PM »
I was going to buy the Eskimo Quickfish 3, but opted for the Shappell IceHouse 6000 instead.  Same basic specs as Quickfish 3, but has a completely black interior and is flame and burn retardant.

Yeah, I put the fabric to the burn test in a little mishap. ::) Luckily it was only a small hole in the inner window cover, but it didn't burn. I forgot to add about how dark it gets in there with the window coverings up. Very little light gets in. Your Shappell is neat. I didn't even know they made the same style as the Cube, Quick Fish, or Canadian Tire's Sub Zero, which is the Ice Cube.

These anchors that come with the shelter are well built and go through the ice like butter. They come in their own carrying pouch as well.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2007, 02:19 AM »
I like mine as well. Pro's and Con's?

Con's:
They don't have a floor (easily remedied with some foam excercise matts that offer plenty of insulation from the ice and warm up the interior nicely)

Good idea with the insulated floor mats, I hadn't thought of that.  I have been trying to think of a light-weight way to block floor light(for spearing) and the added insulation would sure be nice.  Thanks.

Darkhouse

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:01 AM »
Good idea with the insulated floor mats, I hadn't thought of that.  I have been trying to think of a light-weight way to block floor light(for spearing) and the added insulation would sure be nice.  Thanks.

Darkhouse

Glad it helped Darkhouse. I picked mine up at Walmart. 6 of those pieces that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle seem to work great, and they're durable.

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:26 AM »
Clam, Clam, and then there's always a Clam.

Hey Zamboni...you forgot to mention...Clam !!! :D
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline fctyson0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2007, 04:51 AM »
thanks for all the info guys

Offline bondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:28 AM »
I would recommend Frabill after having mine for over 15 years with no problems. I would also recommend not buying an Eskimo after all the problems I have seen with them. From poles bending to the plastic inserts busting and the canvas not lasting for very long. I can't speak for the others out there because I have not seen them in action that much.
Ron

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:37 AM »
I would also recommend not buying an Eskimo after all the problems I have seen with them. From poles bending to the plastic inserts busting and the canvas not lasting for very long. I can't speak for the others out there because I have not seen them in action that much.

That's the first for me, hearing about these supposed problems, but for what it's worth, I had an issue last season with one of the ice anchors (the tip was defective and wouldn't dig into ice). Called up Ardisam and they sent me two new one's, no questions asked, so their customer service is top notch if you do have a problem.
The fabric is a very good quality material that doesn't show many pin holes (light) like a lot of other lesser fabrics do.
All I can say is, this will be my second season with the Quickfish 3, and it has handled the abuse nicely.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:37 AM »
i have used clam for a some years now and am happy with there product.  dependind on your ways of getting to the hotspot will have a big decision on what type to get.  my friend and i are 100% walkers so we had to get something that was portable, easy to unload/load, and easy to pull with gear.  i have the fish trap pro, and my friend has the guide.  those 2 shanties are very high quality and easy to load and pull with all your gear.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline fctyson0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2007, 05:01 PM »
wher is the best place to buy a setup

Offline rdp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:27 AM »
I contacted Shappell about their Icehouse 6000 and they told me that the IH5000 and IH6000 are brand new products that they are marketing this year on a limited basis. They are not sure if they will continue to make them next year. I guess this was a test run to see if people liked them.

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:35 AM »
I have the Eskimo Quickflip II.  No problems with it set up in about 1 min. plenty of room also for gear.  Bench seat with thick pad.
www.geteskimo.com

Devan's first Large Mouth        Skilar's first Large Mouth through the ice
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day...Teach him to fish, feed him for a life time...
In Loving Memory of Roy H. Leach Sr., 3/14/4

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.