Author Topic: New neighbor?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
New neighbor?
« on: Apr 12, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Thinking of retirement down the road and IF I move I have to be able to have the hard water.... Now comes the big question. How are the Taxes where you folks are ? I don't think you can out do NY so what is it like out there.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here in upstate NY with the all the mountains and streams and countless hard water opportunities but,........operating on lower income is always a concern
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: New neighbor?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Alaska's cost of living is high, but not excessive like in the old days.  Taxes? what taxes! We get a dividend check every year from the state courtesy of big oil.  Lot's of hardwater 6 months of the year, and plenty of boring scenery...
Taxes shouldn't cause you to move Jimmy?  Sounds like NY is your place to stay... ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2008, 08:38 AM »
What kind of taxes? Income, sales, property?
Not funny, but property values are falling fast here. Definitely a buyer's market...  :-\

Official Treasurer of the M.I.R.C.
                                    Membership dues payable now

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2008, 11:47 AM »
Try Mass. it is the highest taxes around!!!  When I retire I am leaving this awful state

Keith

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2008, 12:31 PM »
i'd like you as a neighbor jimmy, but don't move to new jersey! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2008, 02:50 PM »
i'd like you as a neighbor jimmy, but don't move to new jersey! ;D
I already lived in Jersy At McGoo Airplane Patch for three years.... I don't think the fish population has improved in the pine Barrens yet. ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2008, 03:04 PM »
What kind of taxes? Income, sales, property?
Not funny, but property values are falling fast here. Definitely a buyer's market...  :-\

We get hit with property Tax... Then School  Tax.... Oh yeah, a newly formed sewer district bout at least 1000.00 extra per house hold....Sales Tax @  8%.....Not to mention Income Tax.
Now we have Use Tax (same as sales Tax for those that buy out of state via internet).

Well any way, you get my drift.... when I talk to people from out of State and they have 55 acres with two houses and a barn and say they are paying 600.00 bucks a year in Taxes, it makes you start thinking down the road.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2008, 04:30 PM »
In South Dakota we have no state income tax, 3% state sales tax and real estate tax. We have good fishing and plenty of ice fishing in the winter. A lot of lakes here still have a couple feet of it on them. Some lakes had over 3 feet of ice on them this winter. We also have good hunting and plenty of room here.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2008, 04:38 PM »
We have a 5 y.o. house on 8 acres and our property taxes are running about $2700/yr. We live on a dirt road, have our own well and septic, and are in a very small school district. But our taxable value just dropped 13K, so taxes should go down, right?

My parents live about 60 miles south of us and have two houses and 2 pole barns and a pond on 40 acres on a paved road and I don't think they pay any more property tax than we do.

Sales tax is 6%, no tax on groceries.

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2008, 04:40 PM »
What side of the state are you on, IceDawg? We used to live near Rapid City when I was a kid. I learned to ice fish on Pactola Reservoir.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:41 AM »
you don't want to hear what taxes are in rockland county. you'll wonder what the heck is wrong with us! some houses are paying $ 20,000-25,000 a year, and live on an acre of land. better hit the lottery if you want to retire here. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2008, 07:21 AM »
dont come to Maine a.k.a.Taxationland!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:01 AM »
dont come to Maine a.k.a.Taxationland!

I had a Good friend of mine retire to Maine a few years back cause the Taxes were lower than NY.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:07 AM »
jimmy, more ice equals less time to play in the garden. just a thought. ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:55 AM »
What side of the state are you on, IceDawg? We used to live near Rapid City when I was a kid. I learned to ice fish on Pactola Reservoir.

chezmoose. I'm in Aberdeen and about 50 miles from the glacial lakes and 100 miles from Lake Oahe. The hunting and fishing is good around here.

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2008, 03:01 PM »
chezmoose. I'm in Aberdeen and about 50 miles from the glacial lakes and 100 miles from Lake Oahe. The hunting and fishing is good around here.

LOTS more lakes on the east side!  ;D Are there still lots of pheasants out there?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2008, 05:14 PM »
LOTS more lakes on the east side!  ;D Are there still lots of pheasants out there?

We had more Pheasants last season than we have had for over 40 years. I think about 2.3 million were harvested. I expect those numbers to decline because the farmers are pulling their land out of the CRP program to grow corn for ethanol. With the CRP program in effect the Pheasant numbers got to be as high or higher than when we had the Soil Bank program.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.