The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: City Bay ice?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
City Bay ice?
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Anyone know how thick ice is IVO city bay? Thanks!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: City Bay ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:02 AM »
If you are talking about city bay North Hero the ice is around 18" give or take. They have been driving on it for a few weeks.
Check out the web cam to see what is going on  https://heroswelcome.com/live-web-cam/
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:04 AM »
If you are talking about city bay North Hero the ice is around 18" give or take. They have been driving on it for a few weeks.
Check out the web cam to see what is going on  https://heroswelcome.com/live-web-cam/

Thanks!

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:10 PM »
their winter carnival was last weekend. people were walking, skating and skiing all the way out to knight island.
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Yup Great Ice is a nice weekend long event with many things to do. Most of it is free but there are some events that have a small charge such as the sled dog rides and the flapjack breakfast. The proceeds go to the NH Fire Department, NH historical society and Grand Isle Rescue. The Trek out to Knight Island is enjoyed by hundreds of people. It is 2 miles each way and free hot chocolate is given out by the Knight Island State Park Ranger. People ski, ice skate and walk out there. Quite a sight to see. On the Great Ice Friday night there is always a bonfire made by old Christmas trees just off the North Hero House pier. This year they had a great fireworks display too. It will happen again next year in mid February ice permitting. Check it out there is a lot to see and do.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:49 AM »
I saw there was an air boat out there, too.  Looked like a good time.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:12 PM »
I saw there was an air boat out there, too.  Looked like a good time.
That is the North Hero Fire Department's ice rescue boat. Chief Murdock is an ardent ice fisherman (I fished with him today) and decided that there needs to be an ice rescue boat here in the Islands. It was expensive and paid for using both local money and grants. I am proud as a North Hero resident that our fire department is so well equipped. That rescue boat can be dropped off the  trailer on any road, field or right on the ice. It can travel on any surface and get to the ice. If there is open water it goes right from an ice boat to a water boat seamlessly and can go back to ice again easily. They haven't saved anyone yet but it is only a matter of time. 

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:46 PM »
That is the North Hero Fire Department's ice rescue boat. Chief Murdock is an ardent ice fisherman (I fished with him today) and decided that there needs to be an ice rescue boat here in the Islands. It was expensive and paid for using both local money and grants. I am proud as a North Hero resident that our fire department is so well equipped. That rescue boat can be dropped off the  trailer on any road, field or right on the ice. It can travel on any surface and get to the ice. If there is open water it goes right from an ice boat to a water boat seamlessly and can go back to ice again easily. They haven't saved anyone yet but it is only a matter of time.

That thing rips! I was lucky enough to check it out up close when my boss was going through the paces with it. Dwayne is the obvious guy to do it being from Louisiana. Anyway it make me feel safer out there knowing we have the right equipment.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Yes Dwayne is top shelf.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.