Author Topic: Cheaper rods like bullwhip  (Read 2333 times)

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cheaper rods like bullwhip
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:55 PM »
Anyone have rod suggestions that would be similar to the bullwhip. Im wanting a rod with a sensitive enough tio to detect strikes like a spring bobber would do. Not a big fan of the spring bobbers I have used

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cheaper rods like bullwhip
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Look up the Dellabay.com glass noodle.  I absolutely love it .  And if you want to check one out, use the code HILINEHITTER for 10% off.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Don’t fish in the wind then, those rods work good just not so much if windy

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Anyone have rod suggestions that would be similar to the bullwhip. Im wanting a rod with a sensitive enough tio to detect strikes like a spring bobber would do. Not a big fan of the spring bobbers I have used

Just about every rod line has a noodle in it that would be what you want. The higher end you go the better the guides, cork/foam, and blank it will be. But if you want the bullwhip, buy the bullwhip. It's cheaper to just get what you want first than to go through 3-4 rods before you finally decide to sell them all and buy the rod you wanted to get in the first place.. been there, done that. Those higher end rods are tough to purchase, I get that 100% but rods are like tools.. buy quality first and you will be better off in the long run.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Have a rod built. Find a reputable local builder and get exactly what you want. You will likely get a little more for your money.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:38 PM »
What’s your budget? Could always build one. Or just buy a Bullwhip. If that’s what you’re looking for you won’t regret getting one. I have a Bullwhip and love it. Very versatile rod.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline kstaton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:50 AM »
Bass Kang Power Noodle  seven bucks plus shipping

Offline kstaton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:52 AM »
Thats seven bucks plus shipping for the rod blank

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Bass Kang Power Noodle  seven bucks plus shipping

I dont know if the OP has the willingness or inclination to build themselves but the bk power noodle is a fantastic blank. I've built several rods on that one. Ive been happy with most of Ge's blanks for that matter.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Someone said most brands of rod have a glass noodle line.  I have about 5 of the Beaver Dam glass noodle rods in lengths from 23 to 32".  Nice sensitive tip.  They are about $20 at walmart with a reel, or about $14 when on sale at other stores like Blaine's Farm Fleet.  Great bargain rods.  And you don't get super peeved if you break one.  They can handle bigger fish, I have caught a 4-5 lb largemouth, 4 lb channel cat and a 5lb carp on mine.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:35 AM »
I would absolutely love to build rods, but i just dont have the time to right now. Im tempted to just buy a bullwhip, but I will check out the other options as well. I still need to buy a drill. Drilling holes by hand is getting old.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:17 PM »
I would absolutely love to build rods, but i just dont have the time to right now. Im tempted to just buy a bullwhip, but I will check out the other options as well. I still need to buy a drill. Drilling holes by hand is getting old.
Brother just buy the rod you want! This is just me. So many times I have said well this will work for less money. Sometimes ok most not ok should have bought what I wanted. All that matters is if you are happy with the tool. If you decide to get a less expensive rod and it works for you great! If you buy a less expensive rod and are not happy well you have not spent wisely. Hope you get the rod you will love!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:47 PM »

Put your money where it is going to work the hardest. I would go with a drill before a new high end rod. Having the ability to cover more water will have a much bigger impact on your fishing than a high end fiberglass noodle rod will. As long as your tackle isnt so mismatched that it is causing a problem there are many other factors that will weight far more heavily. That said a custom rod can sure make life easier and make fishing more enjoyable. But many other things come first.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Put your money where it is going to work the hardest. I would go with a drill before a new high end rod. Having the ability to cover more water will have a much bigger impact on your fishing than a high end fiberglass noodle rod will. As long as your tackle isnt so mismatched that it is causing a problem there are many other factors that will weight far more heavily. That said a custom rod can sure make life easier and make fishing more enjoyable. But many other things come first.
LOL went from hand auger to gas auger to propane auger now at over 20 years into the deal going back to a hand auger. Weight it’s all about weight. Again some times it’s what you want not what you need.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:26 PM »

Just buy the bullwhip if you know its the rod you want! Should be plenty of augers and drills come up for sale right now and in the near future as people are selling to get some extra cash before tax refunds come to upgrade. Check a pawn shop for drills, they always have them. Can usually get a drill and battery for cheap, chargers can be picked up on ebay super cheap for all brands. I'd rather get tired drilling holes than fish with rods I don't like, I would spud holes before I gave up the eyeconic rods I use.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline kondan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Basskhang custom power noodle ice rod. Best bang for the buck with recoil guides too.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:03 PM »
LOL went from hand auger to gas auger to propane auger now at over 20 years into the deal going back to a hand auger. Weight it’s all about weight. Again some times it’s what you want not what you need.
Keep it safe! JDL
Different strokes for different folks. I'll gladly haul around a few extra pounds to save myself from hand drilling 60 holes.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:30 PM »
If you want a good priced Noodle rod (like the bullwhip) look at the Clam Genz Power Noodle.  I have 2 in my arsenal along side custom noodles and outside of the EVA handle as opposed to the cork handles of my customs, i can barely tell a difference.  I bought mine at Farm and Fleet for 35 bucks as a combo.  put one of my nicer spinning reels on it and its a pretty great set up. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04:02 PM »

Not a big fan of the springs? Neither was I. Tried ' em all. But I found a good and cheap one that works for me. A 13# wire leader. Cut in half and you've got 2. Durable and sensitive. Give it shot. You'll be surprised.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Another alternative is another spring bobber rod.  I know, I know...  Try a St. Croix Legend Black and you won’t go back!  LOL  I have three of them now and will be buying more.  There will also be some Ticklesticks for sale.  Pm me if you want details on the springs.  The light is only for the VERY lightest jigs and baits.  I use the mediums/medium heavys more than anything else. 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:50 PM »
I own a 36” Bullwhip and really like it. That being said, I also own a few rods from Ray, at HardWater Customs.
He’s got some nice rods at about 1/2 the cost of the “big guns”.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sealpup2/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

It’s just another option.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.