Author Topic: top or bottom of the EYE?!?!?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
top or bottom of the EYE?!?!?
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Might be a really dumb question but which way do you guys initially run the line into your hook eyes? TOP or BOTTOM

Curious as to why you do so also, is it better hook up ratios or what

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: top or bottom of the EYE?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Not sure what kind of hook eye you are asking about. I guess I most often use the Paloma’s not so run it through the eye double it back. If I am using a horizontal jig I do make sure before dropping it back down the hole that the knot is centered at the top of the eye so the jig hangs right. Don’t think I answered your question.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Not sure what kind of hook eye you are asking about. I guess I most often use the Paloma’s not so run it through the eye double it back. If I am using a horizontal jig I do make sure before dropping it back down the hole that the knot is centered at the top of the eye so the jig hangs right. Don’t think I answered your question.
Keep it safe! JDL

Yeah i meant just a regular hook, like you would use on a tip up.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:21 AM »
I'm not sure if I understand your question fully.  I have no idea if this makes a difference (probably not) but I always thread my line through from the side of the hook point.  I use a palomar know as well.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Yeah i meant just a regular hook, like you would use on a tip up.
So I think I understand. So holding the hook in a vertical position then you would have a front and back if so then cause of the way I hold the hook the line goes through the front. But as far as hook setting can’t imagine what the difference would be.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:37 AM »
So I think I understand. So holding the hook in a vertical position then you would have a front and back if so then cause of the way I hold the hook the line goes through the front. But as far as hook setting can’t imagine what the difference would be.
Keep it safe! JDL
or if you’re holding the hook horizontally I guess the top.

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah I'm not sure it makes a difference either, was just sitting here bored at work and the thought came to my mind!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:17 PM »
So I think I understand. So holding the hook in a vertical position then you would have a front and back if so then because of the way I hold the hook the line goes through the front. But as far as hook setting can’t imagine what the difference would be.
Keep it safe! JDL
There is no difference which side of the eye you put the line through.  When you pull on the line the knot centers itself at the top of the eye loop.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:30 PM »
there are slight differences depending on what type of knot you are tying on and what hook or lure you are using. That being said, I do not know which way to thread the line through for different hooks and lures haha. I remember reading an article about this many years ago. The type of knot and direction of the line can impact the way a lure, hook, or fly sits in the water and swims in the water. As for a hook on a tip-up, I doubt there is much difference in the impact based on the direction of the line through the eye. I usually try and put the line through the side of the hook/lure that I want to angled more toward me/the rod.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:31 PM »
I believe if you use a Snell type knot it is important as to which way you start .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Only makes a difference if you snell the hook, in which case you want the main line to be entering the hook eye from the hook point side.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Only makes a difference if you snell the hook, in which case you want the main line to be entering the hook eye from the hook point side.

Would not that depend on the type of eye?  Are you snelling hooks with an up turned eye or hooks with a down turned eye? 
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:27 PM »
i use a loop knot when tying on jigs so they hang horizontal. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:26 PM »
Would not that depend on the type of eye?  Are you snelling hooks with an up turned eye or hooks with a down turned eye?

You snell through the hook point side of a down turned "octopus style" eye too. Unless you want to miss fish I guess.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:14 PM »
I use the quick snaps. 99.999% of the fish caught don't care about most of this stuff. Bug--Eat bug.... 

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:26 PM »
You snell through the hook point side of a down turned "octopus style" eye too. Unless you want to miss fish I guess.

What  brand of octopus style hooks are you using?  I just checked Janns Netcraft and did not find any "octopus style" hooks with a down turned eye.  Plenty of both up turned and downturned eyes in other style hooks.  Just wondering what hook it is you are using.

Are you saying up turned or down turned, will not dictate which side the line should enter?

take care,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:46 PM »
What  brand of octopus style hooks are you using?  I just checked Janns Netcraft and did not find any "octopus style" hooks with a down turned eye.  Plenty of both up turned and downturned eyes in other style hooks.  Just wondering what hook it is you are using.

Are you saying up turned or down turned, will not dictate which side the line should enter?

Doesnt matter, you enter from the hook point side so the hook rotates around point first. If you fish circle hooks you already know this, but it is arguably important with octopus style also. Up, straight, or down all make the hook hang at a different angle but the rotation still is the same. You want the hook point to be pulled up when you pull the line tight with the hook in the fish's mouth. If you snell it the other way, your hook point will be pulled down when the line comes tight and you will miss plenty of fish. For upturned eyes, you can snell through the back and it won't make much difference as the line is now parallel to the hook shank.. sort of a neutral, no benefit and no harm. You'll see factory hooks done this way so the hook hangs straight. If you snell an upward bent eye the other way, the hook will hang horizontal and give you better hook-ups, but less eye appealing to fishermen so they are never sold this way pre-snelled.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:28 AM »
For upturned eyes, you can snell through the back and it won't make much difference as the line is now parallel to the hook shank.. sort of a neutral, no benefit and no harm. You'll see factory hooks done this way so the hook hangs straight. If you snell an upward bent eye the other way, the hook will hang horizontal and give you better hook-ups, but less eye appealing to fishermen so they are never sold this way pre-snelled.

The factory guys are doing it wrong? (less hook-ups)  Seems they would change or go out of business if they're way of doing it was inferior.
take care,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:07 AM »
The factory guys are doing it wrong? (less hook-ups)  Seems they would change or go out of business if they're way of doing it was inferior.

I just said it was neutral.. are you playing dumb or just trying to nitpick to start and argument?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:20 AM »
I just said it was neutral.. are you playing dumb or just trying to nitpick to start and argument?

You made a statement on how to snell a particular hook.
I then asked you directly what brand octopus style hook you were using, that had the down turned eye. 

You said it didn't matter. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  I asked the question because I was interested in this hook you were snelling.  Why not be helpful and just answer the question?
take care,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Because I feel you are just trying to set me up to jump down my throat if I misspeak, like you love to do to lots of people on here.

Every octopus hook I have seen is downturn eye, gamakatsu, vmc, mustad. I use gamakatsu for my octopus.

Upturns are bait holder hooks, the ones that come pre-snelled through the back of the hook (so the line is parallel to the hook shank). This doesn't hurt or help anything, and equals out to the same as using a regular aberdeen style hook with a straight eye. If you snell a baitholder through the hook point side of the eye, it will hang at a horizontal angle (or face up if you use stupidly heavy line) but the hook-up ration will go up because of the forward pivoting action when the line comes tight. You won't see any pre-snelled come this way because the every day fisherman who buys a pre snelled hook wouldn't understand the benefit and would not buy the hook. Marketing. Same reason most pre-rigged grubs come with the tail facing backwards to how most people fish them, because it looks better and will sell.

I snell this way, learned it for catfishing with circle hooks and have been doing it for walleye and panfish too with regular octpus hooks.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:36 PM »
There is no difference which side of the eye you put the line through.  When you pull on the line the knot centers itself at the top of the eye loop.
Top or front don’t really matter to me. Like op said he was bored at work and asked a question. You know what never mind.
JDL

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:37 PM »
To clarify terminology:

From the top: Up turned, down turned and straight. The hook in the video is upturned.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:41 PM »
I didn’t even process the op was talking about a snell knot. That should have been the first question, what knot are you talking about.
JDL

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Because I feel you are just trying to set me up to jump down my throat if I misspeak, like you love to do to lots of people on here.

Every octopus hook I have seen is downturn eye, gamakatsu, vmc, mustad. I use gamakatsu for my octopus.

I honestly don't know what to say.  Would I be jumping down your throat to point out that you are mistaken in identifying upturned or down turned hooks?

The description below is from Jann's Netcraft catalog.  There are other sources online which identify straight, upturn and down turn styles.  It does make it hard to communicate if everyone is not using the same terminology for a given hook or eye configuration.

GAMAKATSU 023 OCTOPUS HOOKS
Red fish hooks! Gamakatsu Octopus hooks are good choice for building crawler harnesses and fishing live bait. Octopus hooks also make a great, extra sharp salmon egg hook. Turned up eye. Red finish.

VMC 7199 BN NEEDLE POINT OCTOPUS HOOK
VMC 7199 BN octopus hooks are good choice for building crawler harnesses and fishing live bait. Octopus hooks also make a great, extra sharp salmon egg hook. Needle Point, Turned up eye. Black Nickel finish.
take care,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:33 PM »
I honestly don't know what to say.  Would I be jumping down your throat to point out that you are mistaken in identifying upturned or down turned hooks?

The description below is from Jann's Netcraft catalog.  There are other sources online which identify straight, upturn and down turn styles.  It does make it hard to communicate if everyone is not using the same terminology for a given hook or eye configuration.

GAMAKATSU 023 OCTOPUS HOOKS
Red fish hooks! Gamakatsu Octopus hooks are good choice for building crawler harnesses and fishing live bait. Octopus hooks also make a great, extra sharp salmon egg hook. Turned up eye. Red finish.

VMC 7199 BN NEEDLE POINT OCTOPUS HOOK
VMC 7199 BN octopus hooks are good choice for building crawler harnesses and fishing live bait. Octopus hooks also make a great, extra sharp salmon egg hook. Needle Point, Turned up eye. Black Nickel finish.

Heck no you wouldn't, because you did the same mistake last night around 10pm and deleted your post real quick.. when I went to quote it, it said "post has been removed". (I had mine right then edited it real quick and reversed the up/down because you "corrected" me, then you deleted your post.. guess I was right at first) You haven't weighed any opinion or advice on this thread yet... What do you think, does it make a difference?

I was mistaken on my up vs down turn, I had them backwards. Switch every up/down turn I said the other way around and everything I said is still true and I stand behind it.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.