New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Out of season fish and deleted posts  (Read 4792 times)

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Out of season fish and deleted posts
« on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Please remember  it is  not permitted to handle anymore than necessary and take pictures of fish caught out of season . I have been noticing a lot of this this year.
So I go on the Chautauqua thread and see someone putting up a picture with their buddy holding a muskie so I simply post, assuming they just don't know any better, that doing such a thing as a ticketable offense. I personally know of two people who have received tickets for doing so. One of the mods, presumably, keeps deleting my posts and I have yet to receive a p.m. or anything. Anyone else having their posts deleted for no apparent reason?? I find it funny that there's all these bullcrap posts cluttering up the reports and conditions pages and that's fine yet when I post something informative it gets deleted multiple times.
I triy to be a helpful member of The Forum so this just kind of irks me a bit

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Out of season fish and deleted posts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:45 PM »
I've had posts deleted in the past.. literally wrote something like "caught some fish, ice was 10+ inches, etc." And next day it was gone.. so I wouldn't take it personal.. so far this year I guess I've been a good boy

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Lol ice shanty politics

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Perhaps, a remedial course in 4th grade English comprehension would help. They can't comprehend the following Q&A on page 9 of the regulations.

Q: Can I catch-and-release fish for bass during
the closed season?
A: Yes. A special catch-and-release season for
bass exists for most waters in New York State,
allowing an angler to catch and immediately
release bass with artificial lures only. There are
numerous exceptions, however, so check the
special regulations section of this guide for more
information.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:19 PM »

Catch and release means catching and immediately releasing the caught fish without harm.  Measuring, weighing and photographing of the fish are permitted as long as the fish is not removed from the water for an extended period or handled in a manner that could cause it harm.

Fish may not be placed in a bucket, tub, livewell, on a string or any other holding device. Catch and release angling is only permitted during the open season for a particular fish species.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Bass season is not closed all year. . Artificals and live bait first . . . . Then it stays open for catch and release only with artificals. . Reading comprehension . . Lol. . Everyone reads things differently. . Some get it some don't. .  ;D

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Not sure if your trying to contest my position with this or reinforce it. For the record it was a photograph of a muskie, not sure where bass came in but I love a passionate debate either way

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Reinforce it. . I've been deleted before also. .  ::)

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:35 PM »
Oh I was talking to dacker but thank you

Offline RiserMiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:44 PM »
I think your point is noted fishinchef. Doesn’t change the fact that you come off like the kind of person who keeps a kids ball when it bounces in your yard. Maybe lighten up and breathe a little and realize that ppl are gonna take pictures of trophy fish whether you or the state decide if it’s ok or not. There are much worse things someone could be doing. Just because you degrade their pics on here doesn’t mean the pics aren’t still going to get taken. They just won’t be posted. Maybe you should just get out of your own way and quit stealing kids footballs....

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:49 PM »
I think your point is noted fishinchef. Doesn’t change the fact that you come off like the kind of person who keeps a kids ball when it bounces in your yard. Maybe lighten up and breathe a little and realize that ppl are gonna take pictures of trophy fish whether you or the state decide if it’s ok or not. There are much worse things someone could be doing. Just because you degrade their pics on here doesn’t mean the pics aren’t still going to get taken. They just won’t be posted. Maybe you should just get out of your own way and quit stealing kids footballs....

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Take your ignorance and go somewhere else with it. Wouldn’t want to be within 500 feet of somebody like you on the lake. Mr perfect.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Fishnchef is going to be out on the ice with a box of crayons giving people tickets for taking photos of Out of season fish. Lol

Offline Jakemanges123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:00 PM »
The way I see it. If he catches a trophy fish. Let the guy have his moment. He’s gonna tell his grandkids about that moment. If you caught a fish like that. 40 years later you’d be telling your grandkids about it. Let the guy have his moment because In the end. Those muskys are stocked and regulated by the dec for people to be caught...

Offline Iceyvein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:02 PM »
From the new York State fishing guidelines.... First line says it all, and musky is closed on chautauqua after Nov 30... Not catch and release.
 I personally would appreciate someone giving me the heads up if I was inadvertantly doing something illegal. I don't see the need to turn this into war of words that gets a thread locked

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:02 PM »
I don't recall degrading anyones pics but whatever guys. Nice fish no-doubt. Keeping footballs? Haha 
Dackers post with the excerpt from the regulations was specifically referencing fish for which there is a catch-and-release season and I believe that was his intent. There is a distinct difference between catch-and-release season and closed season.

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:04 PM »
From the new York State fishing guidelines.... First line says it all, and musky is closed on chautauqua after Nov 30... Not catch and release.
 I personally would appreciate someone giving me the heads up if I was inadvertantly doing something illegal. I don't see the need to turn this into war of words that gets a thread locked

And that's exactly what I was trying to do give someone a heads up I wasn't bashing them I didn't question their handling of the fish I merely pointed out that it was not the best idea to put it online

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Round and round we go....

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:12 PM »
I can see both sides of the argument, but if I unintentionally catch a trophy I would plan on getting a picture and releasing unharmed. We all probably break rules all the time without even knowing it

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:13 PM »
When you have kids telling people to shut up and go away, threads get locked.
Fish Chef you are 110% right. Fish should of been released at the hole. From the looks of it, that guy pulled it out and laid it on the ice where it rolled around for a second.
Not all those fish were stocked and regulated by the DEC either.
Volunteers from the NMA put countless hours in to make Chat the fishery is today. Also pressured the DEC in changing regs.
A "trophy" is only a trophy if it was caught  legally, IMHO. My first muskie was thee the ice out of season and I didn't even count it until I caught one legally.
Just my 2cents.
It's a fruitless battle because  people will continue to do it, and the internet police will come out in full force if you call a guy out.

Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline RiserMiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Fishn chef you degraded his pic post when you offered a negative opinion about the pic and how it shouldn’t have been taken. The fish is caught. Pic was taken. Another probably won’t be caught like that for quite a while. Let him enjoy his catch so he continues to post on here for all of us to see. That’s all I’m saying. We all break rules

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Lol it’s ok to gut hit hook an out of season fish with a tip up , then dig the treble hook out of it with pliers and throw it back to die but not ok to take a picture.

Offline Jakemanges123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:31 PM »
When you have kids telling people to shut up and go away, threads get locked.
Fish Chef you are 110% right. Fish should of been released at the hole. From the looks of it, that guy pulled it out and laid it on the ice where it rolled around for a second.
Not all those fish were stocked and regulated by the DEC either.
Volunteers from the NMA put countless hours in to make Chat the fishery is today. Also pressured the DEC in changing regs.
A "trophy" is only a trophy if it was caught  legally, IMHO. My first muskie was thee the ice out of season and I didn't even count it until I caught one legally.
Just my 2cents.
It's a fruitless battle because  people will continue to do it, and the internet police will come out in full force if you call a guy out.

Lmao. Pretty sure him making the same comment over and over again after mods kept deleting it is why the thread got deleted.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:34 PM »
This is great I'll take a pic of any fish I catch in Or out of season come stop me.  ;D  lol this is a joke.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:45 PM »
What if you have a camera rolling when the fish comes out of the hole and it captures the image while you work on it. Is that illegal

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:46 PM »
I guess if I ever visit New York I can ignore any reg I don't agree with,  sure seems to be the attitude of the residents ::)

Offline dox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:00 PM »
I think FishnChef should take up a different sport. Maybe Corn Hole!

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:47 PM »
I guess if I ever visit New York I can ignore any reg I don't agree with,  sure seems to be the attitude of the residents ::)

Maybe the guy didn’t know any better ?? Posting the pic ... well .. the “crime” was already committed ... is taking down the Iceshanty posting going to bring back that fellows moral compass to true north ?
I passed a NYS trooper on I-86 .. posted 65 Mph .. I was going 72 .. as bad as I feel about that infraction .. I’m not turning myself in .. 🤓 .. and I can only hope the countless good things i do in the course of my life will tip the scales of justice in my direction .. this fellow .. if given a ticket .. will pay it, and life goes on !!
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:00 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2015/05/new_law_photographing_fish_caught_out_of_season_a_ticketable_offense.amp

As pointed out, the DEC reversed it's position on this shortly after that went to print, due to the massive negative response. (see below)

https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2015/05/dec_changes_stance_we_do_not_ticket_anglers_for_taking_photos_of_fish.html

Unless you have something newer than that, that's where they stand and it is NOT ticketable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.