Author Topic: I am going to mark all my items, name and phone number  (Read 2466 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
On the ice early today, look to the North and I see a shadow. It looked like a Vexilar. We were the only ones on the ice, I walked over and it was a bag full of items. I decided to take the bag and I fished with it all day looking around to see if anyone was searching. I could tell it was from the day before, it was froze down on the ice pretty good.

Got home today and emptied it out, looking for a phone number or a possible anything. I found an old Garmin GPS, the batteries were dead and I replaced them. Started looking at waypoints and found home. Told the wife we could go on a treasure hunt and see if we could find the house. Turns out it was in our old town a few miles away. Drove up to a house guy was outside. I asked him if he was fishing yesterday and I could tell immediately it was his items

Felt pretty good returning the items, he had a collection of fishing items and good gloves. He was pretty happy to see us.

After this I am marking most of my items with a paint marker - going to put name and phone number. And hope if I do forget someone calls or texts me

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: I am going to mark all my items, name and phone number
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Excellent on you for making the effort,  not all are so honest.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Good idea. I see every year people on forums saying they left something here or there. A lot of the times the items get returned but there is some I am sure that don't. Thanks for sharing, good to see a good Samaritan.
<===Lefty===

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Excellent story :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WS

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:50 PM »
On the ice early today, look to the North and I see a shadow. It looked like a Vexilar. We were the only ones on the ice, I walked over and it was a bag full of items. I decided to take the bag and I fished with it all day looking around to see if anyone was searching. I could tell it was from the day before, it was froze down on the ice pretty good.

Got home today and emptied it out, looking for a phone number or a possible anything. I found an old Garmin GPS, the batteries were dead and I replaced them. Started looking at waypoints and found home. Told the wife we could go on a treasure hunt and see if we could find the house. Turns out it was in our old town a few miles away. Drove up to a house guy was outside. I asked him if he was fishing yesterday and I could tell immediately it was his items

Felt pretty good returning the items, he had a collection of fishing items and good gloves. He was pretty happy to see us.

After this I am marking most of my items with a paint marker - going to put name and phone number. And hope if I do forget someone calls or texts me

Sounds like you would enjoy "geocaching".  ;D   Good on you for making the effort.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Nice work Mr. Holmes! Thanks for your integrity, seems to be in pretty short supply these days  :thumbsup: :clap:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Good to hear this turned out well !! Thanks for being aTrue sportsman and taking the extra efforts 👍

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:15 PM »
Take a bow!!  Great story and congrats on your effort to get the stuff back to its owner!

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:25 PM »
this is an excellent story on the honesty of our fellow ice shanty members.way to go!!!!

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:29 PM »
Way to go the extra mile to find the guy and return his stuff.  May good karma come back to you!

A few years ago, I found a tip-up frozen to the ice.  I dug it out, and it had a name and address on it (and it was from someone about 100 miles away).  I couldn't find a phone number, so I sent a letter with my email address.  The guy emailed me to tell me that he had sold all his ice fishing gear some years before, but I made his day.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Great job!

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Great job!

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Definitely a good idea to tag your bag with a phone or address.

I found a fly vest next to a river once, it had the persons license with address. Boxed it up and shipped it since it was several hours away.

While ice fishing I found a lure box packed with jigs at an access. Many of this jigs were a similar style that I fished with and some unique flies. It happened to be from a guy I work with.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Potatoe a smart idea to label our gear with name and phone number or address.  Ditto all the compliments on taking the time to return the bag and it's contents once you found a way to locate the owner. :clap: :thumbsup:
Steve

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:26 PM »

What a great find and return.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Thanks everyone, I was going to post on this forum that I found the items to see if the owner was a member. Once I got his GPS going and found he was only a few miles away we decided to give it a try. We were fortunate he was outside working, the GPS had us pretty close to his house.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Good story, not only was the guy happy to get his stuff back, it made me feel good knowing there are people like yourself out there doing the right thing.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:40 PM »
I only hope you find my stuff if I ever leave anything!
Nice Action

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Very cool story!  Nice bit of sleuthing and your integrity is to be commended, Potatoe!

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:59 AM »
Nice story ,  my wife and myself were smiling at the end .

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Good for you!! And him:)

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Well done... I have to ask though, did you jot down any of his other coordinates in hopes of finding a honey hole? Ha

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Great job! 

In addition to marking all of your gear, I have heard of some making an excel spreadsheet or taking pictures of their gear incase it ever gets stolen or something else happens and need to make an insurance claim(house disaster etc.) , that way they remember exactly what they had.  Kinda makes sense but also might be a little overkill?  Pictures of the item and a picture of the bar code or serial number would probably be quickest if one did something like this.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Great job! 

In addition to marking all of your gear, I have heard of some making an excel spreadsheet or taking pictures of their gear incase it ever gets stolen or something else happens and need to make an insurance claim(house disaster etc.) , that way they remember exactly what they had.  Kinda makes sense but also might be a little overkill?  Pictures of the item and a picture of the bar code or serial number would probably be quickest if one did something like this.

I'll snap a few photos when packing for a trip. Never know when they could come in handy.  One could be involved in a car accident and lose everything.  Are you really going to remember every thing you took along with you?
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:57 AM »
I'll snap a few photos when packing for a trip. Never know when they could come in handy.  One could be involved in a car accident and lose everything.  Are you really going to remember every thing you took along with you?

Not a bad idea at all, makes sense.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Well done... I have to ask though, did you jot down any of his other coordinates in hopes of finding a honey hole? Ha

I was thinking the same thing. Good karma coming your way. Maybe in ones of those honey holes.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:01 PM »
It was a pretty old Garmin unit, one I have never seen. It would not power up so I changed the batteries. I did not look long enough to look at any honey holes, after I got it powered up and found home we pretty much took off.

I also programmed home in my hand held Garmin, I have an older Etrex that has worked pretty good over the years but I never had home programmed in.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2019, 03:02 PM »
This is a great story. Just curious though, did he mention how all the stuff was left there.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2019, 03:13 PM »
Kudos to you sir on your honesty and integrity !!!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2019, 03:25 PM »
I only leave stuff behind if I want to replace it. So don't bring anything back to my place.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.