The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy 30 or?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Mikey30067

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy 30 or?
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Finally going to break down and purchase a power auger but looking to stay on the low side of the budget

My ice pals all have power augers that I have been bumming the use off of but this year I’m finding myself going out more and more and hand drilling holes is getting old. Plus I don’t really care to keep borrowing my pals.

Have drilled a lot of holes with older jiffy 30’s and I know they are a different machine then the new ones but the sales I have found on them is making it hard to pass up trying.

Used propane and drill augers and they just don’t seem to justify the price over going with a gas job. I mostly tip up fish with some lakes I’ll jig. 95% of the time it’s on smaller bodies of water that is a short walk to the hot spots and have a sled so weight of the auger isn’t a concern for me.

Just wanted to make sure I’m not overlooking something magical out there that I’ll regret having bought the jiffy. Can get a brand new 30xt for $230 out the door drilling 20-40 holes a day usually

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jiffy 30 or?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:08 PM »
I have a clam edge, it's a lot lighter than the model 30 and cuts just as good, easy starting.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:27 AM »
The 30's make wonderfull boat anchors (heavy).  After using one for several years i got tired of lugging it around and bought a Strikemaster. If you are young and in great shape, don't drill many holes at a time, it might work for you, but for a long term investment I would rather spend my money on something that is lighter and cuts faster.  I have had the Strikemaster for several years now, we have 5 months of good ice here, it is used a lot, cuts fast and has had few problems.  There are better choices out there than the 30, I would sure give them all a good look before pulling the trigger.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2019, 06:58 AM »
The old tecumseh powered jiffy model 30 is better than any strikemaster.yeah its heavy but they cut ice like crazy and last forever.my 1970 1 armed bandit will still keep up with new models and still has original blades on it.jmo.id buy a older 30 over a newer china jiffy 30.my china jiffy had problems starting in temps below 10.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:47 AM »
   Ditto on the 30. They are tough and run forever!  ;D

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Search CL for an older model 30, 31, or 34. 3 hp tecumseh. They are readily available cause a lot of people are going to lighter augers these days. Could probably get a good one for $100-$150. Try it before you buy it. If it runs good and cuts good it is well worth $150.
It must be something in the water.

Online 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:07 PM »
When my old Jiffy died a few years ago I wanted to replace it with a Strikemaster lithium auger but everyone was sold out. I bought a 6" Nils to finish the season. I found out the Nils was an upgrade from the Jiffy. Now, I drill my holes with a 40V Strikemaster. If the battery powered auger stops being reliable I'll hand crank the Nils before I waste my energy lugging a model 30 again.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:48 PM »
If weight's not an issue, there are some good used deals out there too!

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:50 PM »
I have two model 30s I got my first one in 1977 or 78 not sure then some time latter I bought a second one just in cast the first one died,well it never did and my first one still runs grate . My sons used it all the time and now my grandsons are using it also,I hate to think the amount of holes it has drilled over the yrs.  Yes it is much heavier than the new ones but it is dependable . Now I am almost 70 and have gone to the clam plate and drill I must admit I love it.....

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:39 PM »
We have a 2001 Jiffy Model 30, it is one heavy machine but it still works great. Replaced the blade this year and it cuts like day one. A few years ago we made Smitty sleds, I strap my Cabela's 360 shelter and auger to it and can pull everything with two fingers.

JG

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05:50 PM »
The best beginner gas auger that wont kill your check book is the Eskimo Stingray 33.  Starts every time, cuts great and only weighs 28 lbs. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.