Author Topic: Great Lake Trout Action  (Read 2159 times)

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great Lake Trout Action
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I can't do tournaments, and best time to go fishing somewhere else is when Granby is having one. Frees up other lakes around while everyone is there.  I don't know why but I have a Lake Trout addiction. I can't be the only one.  You guys been doing much Laker fishing?

Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Great Lake Trout Action
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:05 AM »
  You guys been doing much Laker fishing?

Not only NO, BUT HELL NO! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:16 AM »
I like catching lake trout once in awhile but I’m mostly addicted to panfish and warm water fish

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Caught bigger perch yesterday  ;D

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I’m afflicted with the laker addiction. Hit Blue Mesa the last couple weekends. Did well the weekend, but nothing big.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:36 AM »

True statement!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Hookerhooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Lakers rule!! Hit Granby only once so far, but will be up there alot next few weeks

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:48 PM »
If I could find front range lakers, I’d fish for them more often...I-70 is just effing brutal.  Brutal.  Brutal.   :P

Like Catfishking said — bring on the panfish and warmwater species.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Ski Traffic  :P

Offline Yard Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:20 PM »
I target lakers 99% percent of the time I ice fish. The addiction is real! Cant beat the drag screaming from a good one!

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:09 PM »
^^^^^^This.^^^^^^^
Next thing you know you have tracks on your four-wheeler and two snowmobiles. Oh and can't forget the big a$$ enclosed sled trailer to get all of your gear to the lake too.

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:13 PM »
Agreed Tom. Ski traffic is horrendous though.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Check out the vid on Wyoming Iceshanty from Flaming Gorge.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:47 PM »
Those are some Big Boys there. On my bucket list.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Laker fishing is a lot of fun, but I really only go when I can spend a few days in the mountains. Agree with Tom on the traffic!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:36 PM »
I really enjoy Laker fishing but rarely do it because of traffic these days. I-70 sucks. Come on Slayer one more time for crapts and giggles.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:46 PM »
I was on I-70 heading East towards the tunnel yesterday in a snowstorm (not fishing related) --- traffic crawled up the hill for an hour, because several goofs had tried to make the trip up the hill with crappy tires in a rear-wheel sedan, a VW bus, and a Prius.  Ain't gonna happen.  So we had to merge into a single lane, and whatever --- you can write the rest.  A long trip back, to say the least.  I was just starting to think about making a trip to willie's or granby, but yesterday killed my appetite for chasing lakers.  Maybe in March.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:05 PM »
I was on I-70 heading East towards the tunnel yesterday in a snowstorm (not fishing related) --- traffic crawled up the hill for an hour, because several goofs had tried to make the trip up the hill with crappy tires in a rear-wheel sedan, a VW bus, and a Prius.  Ain't gonna happen.  So we had to merge into a single lane, and whatever --- you can write the rest.  A long trip back, to say the least.  I was just starting to think about making a trip to willie's or granby, but yesterday killed my appetite for chasing lakers.  Maybe in March.
yeah the traffic bad a few weeks ago took me 4 hours to get back I had enough staying out east no traffic at all 😃

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:23 PM »
There’s a $650 fine now if you stop traffic due to poor traction.  Get some good tires, people.  What shoulda been a 2 hr drive took 4 hours.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Online Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:38 PM »

Saw that and am already pondering the fundamentals for a trip over there next year.  That fishery is overwhelmed with “Pups” in the 25” class (apparently 10lb fish are common), 5 or 6 lines per guy and cheap hotels in Green River.  Boiling it down what’s the difference between 4 hours on 80 or 3.5 hours on 70?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Saw that and am already pondering the fundamentals for a trip over there next year.  That fishery is overwhelmed with “Pups” in the 25” class (apparently 10lb fish are common), 5 or 6 lines per guy and cheap hotels in Green River.  Boiling it down what’s the difference between 4 hours on 80 or 3.5 hours on 70?

This is why I fish Wyoming a lot these days.  No traffic no idiots big fish
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:24 PM »

Pretty good video with some very solid fish. Plus, it looks like you can walk to some good fishing locations.

Here's a question, (not complaining cus I would do it to if legal)  Can you drill 3 holes together like that in Wyoming (legally??) . Just wondering, as I know it's illegal here in CO. 

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Man I saw! Love how fat those guys are. I just dont like the crowds and go up further in the mountains. Good stuff with the jumbo perch. What do you guys think makes them so fat?

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Pretty good video with some very solid fish. Plus, it looks like you can walk to some good fishing locations.

Here's a question, (not complaining cus I would do it to if legal)  Can you drill 3 holes together like that in Wyoming (legally??) . Just wondering, as I know it's illegal here in CO.
I believe as long as it is not 10 inches in diameter it is legal.  The biggest hole you can have is 10 inches no in circumference but in diameter.

Guys, I do not care about the size of the fish, I really enjoy catching fish of any size. Sure the perch are huge and maybe even some bows at Antero, but to me there's nothing more fun than bringing a fish 60plus feet deep up higher. :D

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:04 PM »
Man I saw! Love how fat those guys are. I just dont like the crowds and go up further in the mountains. Good stuff with the jumbo perch. What do you guys think makes them so fat?
Avoid the crowd no matter where you're at always helps. Guess there so big because the lake is super healthy and the masses have a hard time targeting them open water. Heck most guys that go to lake X during hard water will struggle compared to the small group of guys that target perch there all season. Badger,Slayer, Stu , John and crew  sure do put on a perch clinic

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:07 PM »
That's awesome Tom, I know a lot of people love targeting them for good eating, since I'm not a fish eater I do not try to chase perch much.  Now Crappie while I won't eat them I'd love to just catch them for fun. They are the prettiest warm water species in my opinion.

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Cool vid man. Got to love Lakers. Nothing gives chase under the ice like a Laker. I have had them chase a lure all the way up from 65 feet down to finally bite right at the hole.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.