Author Topic: Panoptix lithium charging question  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Panoptix lithium charging question
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:55 PM »
The panoptix ice bundle came with a quick connect charger and plug to charge the battery without removing the battery from the package. I’ve just swapped the battery out to a energized outdoor lithium battery and charger. Is there any problem with just cutting the quick connect from the garmin charger and splicing it into the lithium battery charger in place of the gator clips? I have nearly zero experience with this stuff so I’d just be striping wire and electrical taping the twisted wires together.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Panoptix lithium charging question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:09 PM »
That would work, but I always prefer soldering the wires, crimp fittings would be second before just twisting the wires together.  Enjoy your new toy.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:02 PM »
Thanks, I figured it would work, just hoped there’s nothing in the way garmin hooked up that would interfere with the charger.  I’ll see if any of my friends has a soldering iron, or I’ll go with the crimps.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Thanks, I figured it would work, just hoped there’s nothing in the way garmin hooked up that would interfere with the charger.  I’ll see if any of my friends has a soldering iron, or I’ll go with the crimps.

Let us know how this worked out. I have the exact same setup and would rather have a direct connect than fool with the clips.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I decided to add a couple of spade connectors to a barrel connector and attached the alligator clips to them.  Works well and left all the original equipment in tact.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I do a fair amount of electric wiring at the hobby level, mostly boat, auto and stuff like this. Most marine wiring codes spec crimped rather than soldered connections for a number of reasons. That's the route I take for permanent connections. A run down on marine wiring codes can be found here: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Terminal-Tech-Specs Because I like flexibility I often use a polarized connector much the same way you used the spade connectors. Looks like this:

I keep a few pairs on hand for projects that pop up. A little dab of dielectric silicone on any connector makes them corrosion resistant and easier on/off. Sort of a direct connection, but offers some opportunity for easy removal if necessary,
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:47 PM »
When I put my build together I bought one of these extra Noco cables. I charge my lithiums with the Noco 3500 so instead of the clips that can pop off randomly and leave me uncharged, I have a very secure connection to my charger.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:59 PM »
  Because I like flexibility I often use a polarized connector much the same way you used the spade connectors. Looks like this:

I keep a few pairs on hand for projects that pop up. A little dab of dielectric silicone on any connector makes them corrosion resistant and easier on/off. Sort of a direct connection, but offers some opportunity for easy removal if necessary,
Those are the same ones that garmin uses for their ice package. I was going to just cut the one off the SLA charger and wire it to the lithium charger.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Those are the same ones that garmin uses for their ice package. I was going to just cut the one off the SLA charger and wire it to the lithium charger.

Or spend a coupla bucks for a new pair and be able to use both.

I just bought into a Garmin 93sv/Panoptix. Sounds like I'll be OK on the setup. No I just gotta be home for more than two days at a time. It's gonna do double duty as a bow mount on the boat. Probably won't see ice till next season.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.