Author Topic: On Ice food.  (Read 1175 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
On Ice food.
« on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Made me up a batch of Green Chili this morning. Had to freeze more than half of I would have to eat it every day for a week or so. I figure it will be great in a thermos.

<===Lefty===

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: On Ice food.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Looks good, enjoy!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Made a big dutch oven full of venison chili on the wood stove yesterday... Same boat as you, too much to eat without freezing and yup... in a thermos on the ice is where it will be finished.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Every September my wife and I drive an hour south to the chile farms east of Pueblo to stock up for winter. I get a bushel of mild Anaheim and a bushel of Joe E. Parker, a medium Anaheim. They roast them on site and I then peel, seed, bag, vacuum seal and freeze them up in 10 chile packages. Twenty bags this year. I get 50# of storage onions also. Throughout the Winter she makes batches of green chile from these ingredients along with my homegrown tomatoes and some chicken thighs and her spices to make a green chile that would a grown man weep for joy.
  I'm heading for the ice tomorrow for the season opener and am taking my Stanley food jar filled with steaming hot green chile.
 Thanks for posting the pictures.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2018, 01:30 PM »
This is a recipe my daughter got.  I could have cut it in 3rds and still had plenty. For my first time making it ,it really came out good. It takes 6 Tomotoes 2 onions,3 jalapenos 22 oz of greens chilis a 28oz  can of fire roasted tomotoes and a bunch of other things. My pot was 1/2" from full. Almost boiled out.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2018, 04:08 PM »
Lefty that looks yummy!!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2018, 04:30 PM »
I just cook hotdogs on the buddy heater.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Usually a sandwich and chips or a thermos with hot soup. Now if my buddy is gonna fish with me I have bean soup. ;D >:D
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Looks good.

I make sausage and sauerkraut in the crockpot the night before.  I load it into one of the small disposable aluminum foil pans with a lid.  This sits right on top of my buddy heater to warm up for lunch.  All self contained except for bringing a fork to stir/eat.
Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:19 PM »
That looks good, I have a recipe from my cousin. I remember him making it at Red Lake MN

would you be willing to post your recipe

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:59 PM »
That looks good, I have a recipe from my cousin. I remember him making it at Red Lake MN

would you be willing to post your recipe
Sure I like to share. I should have put a bunch more jalapeno's in mine.
1 24-oz bag Mild Select New Mexico Green Chiles or 5 (4½-ounce) cans green chiles I used 3 7oz whole Green Chilis and chopped them.
3 sticks (12 ounces) butter
3 pounds pork, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 large white onions, cut into ½-inch dice
1 tbsp plus 1 teaspoon salt
1¾ tsp ground black pepper
1¾ tbsp ground dry mustard powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp granulated garlic
6 large tomatoes, cut into ½-inch dice( I used Romas)
2 (14½-ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 3 (10 oz) cans Rotel original diced tomatoes and green chiles (I used 1 28Oz can of Fire roasted)
4 15-oz cans chicken broth (I used 4 -14.5 oz)
3 fresh jalapenos, diced, optional for added heat (3 might be enough if they are hot)
1 cup flour
Instructions
Heat 1 tbsp of the butter in a large pot and add the cubed pork. Cook about 15 minutes, and then add the onions and spices. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally. When the pork has cooked through, add the fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, green chiles and jalapenos, if using.
Stir occasionally.
After 5 minutes, add 2 cans chicken broth. Bring to a low boil. Stir occasionally. Increase the heat and bring the chili to a rolling or high boil.
In separate pan, melt the rest of the butter and whisk in the flour, stirring until creamy. Gradually add the remaining 2 cans chicken broth, stirring constantly to maintain smooth consistency.
Slowly add the roux to the chili, stirring constantly, and shut off the heat. Continue to stir so that the roux is evenly distributed. (Roux amount can be adjusted depending on desired consistency or thickness.)
Let stand 5 minutes and serve in a bowl or use it to smother a burrito or whatever you want to smother!
<===Lefty===

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Sounds good, thanks for recipe

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2018, 11:40 PM »
It's generally the previous falls moose or deer sausage over the fire for us. Mommas homade jalapeño jelly and mutstard for spread,, mmm can't wait.

Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2018, 01:33 AM »
Hope you guys have adequate venting ... ;D

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2018, 03:49 AM »
.  LOL!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:48 AM »
Does free balling qualify?
<===Lefty===

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:03 AM »
I am a big foody and was a chef and restaurant manager for 12 years. But when I am ice fishing (and open water) I almost never take the time to stop and eat anything more than trail mix. That is one of the cool things about fishing, you can be laid back waiting for a bite, eating your chili or never stopping, moving (casting). None of it is wrong, just that we all come to our fishing a bit differently. I do make my own trail mix and try to find the right container to be able to eat it one-handed...

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Thanks to being hungry and reading this thread, I just picked up a 24oz stainless Thermos food container on Amazon on sale for $19.  My plan is to pack some chicken paprikash for the ice. Mmmm!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:28 AM »
Thanks to being hungry and reading this thread, I just picked up a 24oz stainless Thermos food container on Amazon on sale for $19.  My plan is to pack some chicken paprikash for the ice. Mmmm!
Hey that looks good. Had to look it up since I have never heard of it.
<===Lefty===

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Hey that looks good. Had to look it up since I have never heard of it.
  This is the simple recipe I use.  I just use boneless skinless chicken, and I buy the spaetzel pre-made.  I make it in my pressure cooker and shred the chicken.  https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/chicken/hungarian-chicken-paprikash-chicken-and-dumplings.html

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2018, 08:14 AM »
That looks mighty fine, Lefty and thanks for sharing the recipe.

Stinky: those chilis sound like a great find each year.

Sounds like you and others have some real scratch gourmet out in the ice! The food can be an amazing part of the whole fishing experience, and make memories that last.

One of the best on-ice meals I’ve had was up on our Moosehead Lake trip last March. Shout out to @Shinkage for cooking up the most amazing sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches. Oh man, they warmed the heart, soul, and stomach!

Another great meal I had was with @Dispy and @Lavaman on Big Island Pond in NH a few years back. Tom cooked up some of the fresh crappie we were catching, seasoned with his own Cajun spice mix. That fish with a few cold ones went down real nice.

I’ve cooked brats out on the ice many times - they’re quick and easy.  Fully cooked ones just need a char and warmup, and some onions cooked in butter goes really nice on top.

Usually, on a day fishing for me, I get so involved I don’t spend time cooking. I need something fast, so I’ve been experimenting with different camping meal packs. I bring boiling water in my thermos and it stays piping hot. It cooks the meals in a few minutes, and they’re pretty good.

But a fresh batch of chili for the thermos sounds great. I’ll have to do that this year.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.