Author Topic: Does anyone else get dirty looks......?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline ufflmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone else get dirty looks......?
« on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:05 AM »
I am in Central Illinois so our ice season is usually early to mid January and lasts 4-5 weeks. Obviously there is a lot of variance where we are located but that is in the ballpark. My wife was commenting on how brutal cold it has been for mid November and that she (GASP) saw ice on the end of a small pond by the shoreline the other day. I simple said......I know, its amazing! I might be on the ice by X-Mas! She gave me a very dirty look that suggested I probably would not be enjoying her company that evening! She absolutely hates cold weather and I root for it once golf season is over. I mean you aren't going outside to do anything if it is 38 degrees anyway so it might as well be cold enough to ice fish.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Does anyone else get dirty looks......?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:16 AM »
My wife Ice fishes. He go fishing in the summer as well. She will not eat a fish and doesn't even want it in the house. I catch and release almost always but will keep a couple sometimes. As for weird looks I did have a lady try to give me money once while I was sitting on a bench at Walmart waiting for the wife to get off work. You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I told her. Lady thought I was homeless. I may look that way but I told her I didn't need her money. She said I could get a sandwich and some hot coffee with it. 
<===Lefty===

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:24 AM »
yeah, people look at me funny when I say I can't wait for it to get colder. Then I tell 'em I like ice fishing and they mostly accept it. I tell them that to enjoy winter, they just need to find something they like to do during the winter. Most tell me they like to keep warm, LOL!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Plenty of odd looks, but not from the wife.

My wife Ice fishes. [We] go fishing in the summer as well. She will not eat a fish and doesn't even want it in the house.

My wife fishes summer and winter, and eats fish too!  The whole family eats fish, right down to the grandkids.  I'm hoping the wife's new Striker suit will get her out more often this season.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Yeah, I get dirty looks all the time when people are complaining about the cold and I say proudly: “I LOVE IT!”  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Just looks of confusion.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Yes... whenever I go eat out or something just from ice fishing...then see myself in the mirror...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Yes... whenever I go eat out or something just from ice fishing...then see myself in the mirror...
Next time you go out to eat make sure you wipe the frozen snot cycles from your nose.
<===Lefty===

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Yeah, I get dirty looks all the time when people are complaining about the cold and I say proudly: “I LOVE IT!”  ;D

X2!!!!!!
Just add water.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2018, 02:46 PM »
Next time you go out to eat make sure you wipe the frozen snot cycles from your nose.

LOL, yeah Team snotcicles.  Represented.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2018, 03:45 PM »
We poured concrete this morning and it was 23* with winds in the teens. One of my coworkers said, " man, this is some freakin cold nasty weather isn't it? " as he shivered and bopped, rubbing his hands together. I said yeah it sucks, the lakes haven't even got a coat of ice on them yet...maybe tomorrow, it's going to be 12.   ;D

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:16 PM »
 here it's the age old question "cold enough for ya?" and i say "ya hope it sticks around."  most people just shake their head  :tipup:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:21 PM »
I get a few looks and comments when I start getting my stuff ready...in July.    ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Love your response Ed. Hope you are doing well. Can't wait. Went gas-less like you. No turning back now. Never get dirty looks. Only jealous confused looks from guys who picked the wrong partner.......... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
      Kim :icefish: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2018, 01:14 AM »
My wife Ice fishes. He go fishing in the summer as well. She will not eat a fish and doesn't even want it in the house. I catch and release almost always but will keep a couple sometimes. As for weird looks I did have a lady try to give me money once while I was sitting on a bench at Walmart waiting for the wife to get off work. You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I told her. Lady thought I was homeless. I may look that way but I told her I didn't need her money. She said I could get a sandwich and some hot coffee with it.

Lol.  I never shave during ice season.  My buddy says the only difference between me and a homeless person is that I have nicer shoes lol. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2018, 05:40 AM »
My wife is pissy if i dont get out of the house and icefish.guess all them years of me being a pain in the rear are paying off.lol

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Wore shorts to work temp was 38,  was asked are nuts to which I replied no I'm climatizing.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Wore shorts to work temp was 38,  was asked are nuts to which I replied no I'm climatizing.
Ha! Glad I’m not the only one that thinks that way lol. I’m not wearing shorts, but I’ll go outside without a sweater or jacket for a bit and say it’s nice out lol.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:52 AM »
we have to stick together.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Shorts and polo kinda guy here myself until December or until temps are consistently under 40. I walk in the office and people shake their heads and then touch my arms and cannot believe that I am warmer than them while they are wearing sweatshirts and jeans. If its over 40 and sunny I also ice fish in a t-shirt. LOVE IT!

Did I mention how much I  hate the summer?!?!?!
Just add water.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:29 AM »
"Winter" in central Illinois flat out sucks.  Just cold and windy with the occasional blizzard passing through.  Never enough snow to justify buying a sled, skis or snowshoes.  Hoping to get out on the ice early this year, but as usual it will likely be early January before the spud bar holds.  Boss and the GF tell me when they see ice on the local ponds.  Thinking that I am slowly pulling them to our side...
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09:00 AM »
You don't know the half of it!! I'm a snowmobiler, so I get dirty looks from both the fair weather lovers and the icefishermen as well when a snowfall is coming and I'm all excited. The guys with wheelers or the ones who walk don't like when it's gonna snow.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Ice shack has been in my truck since mid-October :cookoo: Got the "look" from the wife that would would have melted the ice on the lake if there was any then :clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.