Author Topic: Ice fishing gloves  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Jksnavely

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing gloves
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:39 PM »
Just wondering what everyone’s opinion was about the best ice fishing gloves. Warmth,waterproof,durable, & functional? Looking to get a new pair this season!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Ice fishing gloves
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2018, 03:34 AM »
Variety of gloves for me.  Sometimes I need the thin ones, sometimes I need the thick ones.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:41 AM »
Carry a bunch myself, but start with windproof fleece fingerless most often. Often use thin Nitrile gloves coated under them.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:50 AM »
I need use of my fingertips frequently. including while jigging. so I run wool fingerless gloves under large mittens so I can warm up or use my fingertips whenever needed. easy to stick a hand warmer in the mittens too

Offline slaburns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Memphis ninga ice gloves best for me.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Carry a bunch myself, but start with windproof fleece fingerless most often. Often use thin Nitrile gloves coated under them.
Nitrile, eh?  That’s an interesting idea!  Good dexterity I’m sure, but do you find they keep your fingers warm? I may have to grab some from the lab and bring them fishing.   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Scheels Outfitters Insulated Coated Gloves - I found these last year and they really worked great.  Pretty good price too ($7.99) so you can have a couple pair in your bag without going broke.

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Lots of different needs:
Good heavy mittens for 4-wheeler driving
Leather rubber anything to keep gas off hands
Fleece easy on off gloves or mitts
Fingerless for feel
Extras and more extras!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:31 AM »
ive used the striker climate crossover mitts for 2 seasons and i dont use anything else. can use my fingertips, my hands can get wet, and i put them back in the mitt and warm them back up.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:21 AM »
ive used the striker climate crossover mitts for 2 seasons and i dont use anything else. can use my fingertips, my hands can get wet, and i put them back in the mitt and warm them back up.
I've looked at these a bunch and for my style fishing I think they would work the best. Do they hold a heat pack anywhere in the mitten? Any complaints or paises I should know about?

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:27 AM »
you could definitly fit a heat pack or even two in the mit part. i have done this a few times, but i rarely need it, the mit alone heats up my fingers, even when the neoprene is wet from handling fish. and being able to slip the neoprene off a few fingers really helps with line tying etc. only issue i have is after two seasons i have a few small holes in teh neoprene part. but not too big and its after 2 seasons of hard use

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Anyone have opinions on the Striker Second Skin gloves?  I've been wanting to get a pair but the price scares me if they aren't great.

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Been wearing the Frabill All-Purpose Task Glove for 2 years now. Don't have any complaints about them. We also don't get the opportunity to drive anything on the ice so can't speak for the usefulness of them for that purpose.
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Thanks  Waterlike, gonna try a set this year.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:01 PM »
If you have a problem with cold hands and fingers like I do, I highly recommend going to mittens with a wool glove inside. The problem with most gloves is that there is very little room, especially in the fingers, to allow air to circulate. This factor is important for heat exchange and circulation, all necessary to keep your hands and fingers warm. MYO
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Anyone have opinions on the Striker Second Skin gloves?  I've been wanting to get a pair but the price scares me if they aren't great.

They are pretty good if you can keep them dry. My complaint with them is they have a waterproof membrane in between the inner and outer layer. The problem is if you get the outside wet when your fishing then set them aside they will kind of freeze stiff and be a pain.
I wish the outside material was waterproof as well to prevent this from happening. 
They are also kind of a pain to put on and takeoff if your hands are kind of wet. Other than that they have a time and place when I go out, especially since I already own them. For the price they could be better.  I'd give them a B.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Thanks  Waterlike, gonna try a set this year.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:09 PM »
I wear a thin pair of mechanix gloves underneath Black Diamond Absolute mittens (https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Absolute-Weather-Gloves/dp/B003VR2V06)

The gloves are nice for setting up gear and checking traps, etc. The mitts are for when it's ridiculously cold.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2018, 12:28 AM »
For me no need to get to technical, fingerless wool till you need warmth then it's a pair of task gloves. Like the older ice armors but have been using the frabil's
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2018, 01:27 AM »
I keep seeing the battery powered heated gloves pop up in my facebook feed. I haven't bought them though. Right now I'm using leather mittens I got at farm and fleet. They don't have a pocket for a hand warmer though. I bought the zippo hand warmers but one of them won't stay lit and they are too bulky to slide into the mittens. . I bought the striker ice combo mit/gloves. I didn't like them at all. They didn't keep my fingers warm and they would get stiff in the cold.
jbird68

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Yes, fingerless gloves with a "muff" that has hand warmers in it.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Thanks jchunter!  I may go a different route, then.

Offline Chili

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:43 AM »
I've had good luck with these - Swede-O Thermal Arthritic Gloves
https://www.swedeo.com/product/swede-o-thermal-arthritic-gloves-pair/
light fleece inside with neoprene material outside. They stay warm and neoprene exterior keep them from getting very wet.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09:00 AM »
All I know is I'll never by Frabill gloves again.  Have two pairs that have holes after one year.  Sent email to their customer service and 'no reply at all'.  As Phil Collins would say "There's no reply... at all...."

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:11 AM »
i have a lot of gloves and have bought ice fishing gloves. the ice fishing gloves are a no go for me. i keep sticking with brown jersey dotted gloves and i have a chemical hand warmer in a pocket always if i need more heat. if i need to i'll put one in the palm of what ever hand needs the extra warmth and switch hands back and forth.
i wear these for most every thing i do in the winter including car work. they go on easy and fast and come off quick. the dots help keep the extra cold things further away from the cloth. i always ask for them for xmas when folks want to know what they can shop for. can be hard to find.

next up is the wind proof fleece. they are warm, but harder to put on and take off while fishing and landing a fish.

the warmest are wool glommits that can hold a hand warmer, but not needed, but i don't like the bulk between the fingers and it is worse when you bring the finger flap over and it bunches your fingers too close together for comfort.
fingerless are nice for back of the hand warmth and i do use a pair of windproof fleece that has index and thump slits that allow you to have those digits bare. i use these when it's extra cold out and can also toss a hand warm in them onto the palm and switch the hand warmer back and forth. thinking they are made by simms.

not mentioned yet, is to use a wrist sweatband and a hand warmer where you take your pulse and that's supposed to keep your hand warm by warming the blood. never tried it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2018, 05:14 PM »
A large factor in keeping your extremities warm is keeping your core and the nape of your neck warm. A warm core/nape can make a huge difference in how warm your hands and feet stay throughout the day. Having said that, I wear fingerless wool gloves 90% of the time. The rest of the time (the walk out/in and setup/tear down) I wear full-fingered wool gloves. About $30 total for both pairs. A quality neck gaiter or scarf should be required garb for ice anglers.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2018, 05:33 PM »
I generally dont wear any. If I do i use old hunting gloves with the thumb & index finger tip cut off. If they get cold. Then I put on something heavier.

Offline Birchbeard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The tug is the drug
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Fingerless army surplus wool gloves

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2018, 05:10 AM »
 I bought 2pr of these back when Cabala's still carried them. Light, thin, fairly warm(I'm in SE PA so not brutal here), waterproof and breathable. I originally bought them for picking up wet ducks but like them on the ice too. My 1st pair the outer "shell" is beat on the thumb + forefinger from smoking and loading shotgun/deer rifle so that pair is "back-up" while I've kept the 2nd pair in better shape. Tying on ice jigs I have to take them off but my bigger shiner hooks I can tie on without much hassle as well as baiting up with a shiner.   

https://www.sealskinzusa.com/gloves/ultra-grip-gloves-black-grey.htm

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.